PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Service Pack download - it it worth it

fatboy slim
12th Sep 2002, 18:19
Hello all , and thanks in advance for advice.

I have just bought this beauty, and it is strictly for a bit of PPRuNing, emailing ie home use and fairly low level use at that.

On my travels round the computer, MSN invited me to download a 'vital' set of downloads (Windows XP service pack 1) which i i did and it said it was going to take 4 hours or so. I am on 56k dia-up connection and have had no problems downloading other programs.

My questions - Do i need this? Does it take up masses of space? What are the advantages?

Evo
12th Sep 2002, 18:50
I downloaded it - ADSL, so nice and quick - but to be honest I have not noticed any difference. I guess it keeps me up to date with security fixes, which are only really an issue with an always-on connection, but apart from that....

Wouldn't bother spending 4 hours downloading it - if you really need it, wait until some PC magazine gives it away on the cover CD.

fobotcso
12th Sep 2002, 20:20
I second that.

However, Service Packs often extend the Hardware Driver Set to include the latest goodies on the market such as printers and cameras. But if what you've got is working alright don't rush.

Airbanda
12th Sep 2002, 21:46
There is a UK publication from Future publishing which is described as the "official" Windows XP mag (sorry cannot recall exact title). XP Service pack 1 should be on the cover of their next, probably December, issue.

A four hour d/l over a dial up connection is beyond the pale unless you are desparate.

noblues
26th Nov 2002, 00:30
I tried to download the XP service pack 1 from the MS site, but it came back saying my copy of XP was not genuine ?

I bought this base unit 2nd hand, didn't get any original OS CD's with it ......

Question - Must I now go and buy a full later version of XP that will let me add the 'fixes' from the MS site ? Or will say the service packs free with the magazine's load up OK ?

(XP locks up a lot, noticed one of the fixes is for 2 IDE devices on one cable causes this ..... XP generally is very unstable ...... is it just me having this problem - is the installed version of XP Pro on machine just very a very early release ?).

Thanks

Jet II
26th Nov 2002, 06:31
I know several people who loaded SP1 onto machines that where working fine - now they have all sorts of problems (seems SP1 doesn't like some 3rd party software)

I would suggest if your machine is running OK leave it alone and only load SP1 if you are having problems.

If you are concerned about a particular security issue then you can upgrade just that fix through the MS website. Remember BACK-UP before you do anything.

Scallywag
26th Nov 2002, 20:28
FS, you can either get it off a magazine cover as has been stated, or if you don't want to buy the mag just get it FREE from microsoft. Let's face it, you don't get much off them for nothing. Go here, and click for free CD.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windowsxp/servicepacks/sp1.asp

redsnail
26th Nov 2002, 21:35
Noblues,
Go here (http://dogring.megatoolz.com/xp.html) and read the instructions carefully.

noblues
26th Nov 2002, 23:55
redsnail - Thanks, Thats what I was after !!!!

timmcat
27th Nov 2002, 12:00
Installed it last night from CD (came within a few days from Microsoft). No problems so far (on my legit installation!), hassle free install. For those worried about things going t*ts up, there is an option to keep a back up of the original installation, and so I've now got XP-SR1 in my 'add - remove programs' box.