PDA

View Full Version : Typo Question.

KwikPhix
12th Sep 2002, 15:21
System: Celeron 600, 512 MB ram, Win 98SE, IE 6.

I sometimes find that when I'm typing , especially when i have to go back and correct a mistake . When I type a new character, number,space , etc, it deletes the character in front and replaces it with the new one. You can imagine how frustrating this is. I am sure that I start this happening with an accidental combination of key strokes, does anybody have any Idea how i may start it and how to stop it.

Cello
12th Sep 2002, 15:45
The solution to this is your Insert button.

This is a 'toggle' button ie it's either on or off. Should you accidentally hit this key while typing it will start OVERtyping existing text.

When this happens all you have to do is hit the Insert button once and all will be back to normal.

Took me years to figure this one out.

Cello

fobotcso
12th Sep 2002, 20:28
If you're using Word, look at the bar along the bottom (Task Bar?) and you will see "ovr" either greyed out or in bold. Experiment with the insert key. I often hit the Insert key when all I'm trying to do is delete something (The Insert Key is just above the Delete Key).

KwikPhix
21st Sep 2002, 14:03
Sorry about the delay in replying.Yet again you have saved me a lot of stress, swearing, glaring and shouting. I knew it was a ' hitting the wrong button' type problem , but just couldn't figure out which one . Thanks again. :)