PDA

View Full Version : hijacked plane nearly hit flight from Hartford

BDL SLF
12th Sep 2002, 14:46
I thought you guys might be interested in this...

Report: hijacked plane nearly hit flight from Hartford

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The second jet to crash into the World Trade Center last year nearly collided in midair with a flight that had taken off from Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, air traffic controllers told Dateline NBC in interviews broadcast Wednesday night.

United Flight 175 flew within about 200 feet of Delta Flight 2315, bound from Bradley to Tampa, Fla., as a controller frantically tried to tell the Delta pilot to take evasive action, said air traffic controllers Curt Applegate and Dave Bottiglia of the New York En Route Center in Islip, N.Y.

Applegate said he listened in disbelief as the controller next to him tried to prevent a crash.

"God, I heard stuff from him (the other controller) I didn't think I'd ever hear in my career, ever," Applegate told Dateline.

Applegate said he heard the other controller say, "Traffic 2 o'clock. Ten miles. I think he's been hijacked. I don't know his intentions. Take any evasive action necessary."

"That's something you hear in the movies, not on the job," Applegate said.

Bottiglia added, "It was a terrifying moment just to watch the two airplanes miss by less than I think it was 200 feet."

Air traffic controllers had lost contact with the pilot of United 175, which was carrying 60 passengers and crew, before the near-collission.

The near-miss happened in the skies above the New York City-New Jersey area as United 175 was turning back toward Manhattan.

NBC reported Wednesday that the story of the near-collission had recently surfaced.

A Delta spokeswoman late Wednesday did not have information about the midair incident or Delta Flight 2315.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2002/2002-09-12-hijack-nearmiss.htm

RadarContact
12th Sep 2002, 15:05
Somewhere deep deep inside one might wish they had met....

No, I don't want to think about it....:(

ghost-rider
12th Sep 2002, 20:27
Hmm, now there's a 'What-If' scenario if ever I heard one ! :(

whatshouldiuse
12th Sep 2002, 21:10
It happened almost right over Newburgh or Stewart Field in the Hudson Valley where the Air Force has a base. Should know, I lived on the other side of the Hudson River in Beacon at the time...roughly 3 miles away.

thx1138
12th Sep 2002, 21:52
According to the show, the location was where the first post said it was. I vaguely remember reading thet the first American plane had a near miss with a USAirways jet but that is definitely not confirmed.

chilleruk1
13th Sep 2002, 08:14
I did wonder at the time if any of those planes came close to a mid-air. That was some pretty busy airspace they flew back into at high speed.

Globaliser
13th Sep 2002, 08:34
RadarContact: Somewhere deep deep inside one might wish they had met....

No, I don't want to think about it....Almost like Sophie's Choice, isn't it? Horrible.

willbav8r
13th Sep 2002, 16:10
It also missed a police chopper (B412) by 200ft on its' way to the second tower.

Perhaps one should not dwell on the "what ifs".