PDA

View Full Version : The Thought that COUNTS

GoGirl
12th Sep 2002, 12:57
It was about this time, 12 months ago, that some of the worst things that have ever happened to me, occurred.
Of course, there was the devastation in the US, and more domestically, the demise of Ansett.
Many of you who know me personally, know how the latter effected our lives.

So 12 months on, a lot of soul searching, self-improvement, and taking stock of the little things, and life is starting to resemble something like ‘normal’

Then tonight to learn that, on this anniversary, another of our own has fallen into such despair that the only way is – out.

Please, please, I cannot stress enough, this is not bull****, it’s life, and many people are very tenuously hanging in there by a thread.

Just take an extra few minutes, give something that little bit more thought. In our profession, right now, there are many people who are in despair, who will take themselves out, unless we, yeah, you and I, start to open our eyes a bit wider.

If no other week in your life heightens your awareness to your colleagues, friends and families, then let this be the one that does.

R.I.P Uncle Norm 12/09/02

GoGirl

TheNightOwl
13th Sep 2002, 01:11
GoGirl: Sad news, indeed, my thoughts are with you and your Mum. Chin up, sunshine,

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :(

gunshy67
13th Sep 2002, 01:25
Go Girl,

Can you email me?

I will help if I only knew how, who and when?

Please let me help somehow. I know how close yuo can get to it at times.

Relaxed Redback
13th Sep 2002, 02:23
Go Girl .I dont know if we have met. However your words are true. There is far too much bitterness out there .

Some people cannot help themselves and that is what they need. Help Themselves.

Aviation is in itself a glorious profession. It offers only a few the chance to really get out there and feel life.
Some have forgotten that feeling and that is a great shame. They have a big impact on others. Sadly this achieves NOTHING .

The next time you feel the sun rising against your face as you break through the cloud , breathe it in, because it is almost as good as it gets.I am always inspired and HUMBLED by the sensation of flight. We are lucky to be pilots.
Make NO mistake the collapse of ANSETT was a human tragedy and hopefully more people LIKE YOURSELF can educate others that have no idea or compassion.
I am a great believer that if you havent got something nice to say to someone you shut up.

Hang in there.Things can only get better.....;)

CaptainMidnight
13th Sep 2002, 07:44
I echo your sentiments, GoGirl.

All – if you know someone who is having a rough time to some degree, think about even just giving them a phone call to touch base, have a chat etc. If you care enough to do that, it will come across and could make a difference.

A while back an acquaintance took that way out. I knew he was having some personal problems, but he did not seem to exhibit signs that they were having the impact they apparently were, or at least that is what I perceived. I still wonder if a call or invite for a beer etc. might have prevented what happened.

OzExpat
13th Sep 2002, 11:36
My sympathies GG. There is never a "good time" for something like that to happen but I can imagine how it's added to the current upheaval in your life as you look toward making the big move interstate. I know that you'll handle it okay but you're already having to handle such a lot of other stuff as well.

If there's any way that I can help, you know my e-mail addy!

Eastwest Loco
13th Sep 2002, 13:21
It has been 12 long months of pain and uncertainty Go Girl and the loss of a loved airline will take a bigger toll on some rather than others.

You need to take stock now girl and look around you at what you have and what you are. Nobody can take that away.

Never ever lose the dream and the adrenelin rush your airline gave you, and carry it into the future as it will be your best friend and mentor.

You will wake at night on occasions sure you heard the front end turbine noise of an A320, or the harmonic of a 146 lowering flaps.

Ansett will never die while we live, as TAA and East West live on in our hearts and minds.

Arm doors and crosscheck Go Girl. We are ready for departure.

Ansett is alive within us and not one single person who worked with them or for them will ever be anything but in awe of their lust for perfection. We will lose some who should stay and that is more than tragic, but those who remain must keep the dream a reality.

Love

EWL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can take the boy out of the Airline, but you can NEVER take the Airline out of the boy. Clear on four.

IsDon
14th Sep 2002, 02:44
Dearest GG,

We have never met, but have chatted on occasion on this forum. Please allow me to convey my sympathies to you and your family.

I was caught up in the tragic events of a year ago like so many other friends and colleagues. We have all ridden the roller coaster of emotions and I can certainly understand the desperation that many feel, I have felt it myself.

There is no panacea to get you through, but remaining positive certainly makes things easier. Personally I try to draw strength from those around me and do my best to believe that my present situation is a temporary one and that I will return to life in the very front seat one day.

My inspiration for today came from an article in today’s Adelaide Advertiser about Christopher Reeve. We all know he broke his neck in 1995 and went from having the world at his feet to being bound to a wheel chair with doctors telling him he had no prospect of ever being able to even breathe without a respirator, let alone lead a normal life. Despite intensive therapy, through all of which he maintained a positive attitude, the doctors seemed to be correct. That was until November 2000 when he twitched his left index finger. He is now has enough sensation in his body to tell hot from cold, he feels about 2/3 of normal sensation of being touched and half the usual intensity of pin pricks. In a swimming pool he is now able to make flying motions with his arms and walk with the water’s support. He also now spends 1 hour/day breathing without the respirator.

My message is this. No matter how bad things get, if you believe better times are just around the corner, they probably are. Chris Reeve spent 5 years hooked up to a machine, without even the prospect of improvement, before the first indications that things would get better appeared. The thing is he always believed it would happen, despite the weight of professional opinion against him. To quote: “My recovery means everything to me, because while some people are able to accept living with a disability, I am not one of them. I want my life back!”

Please people keep the faith that you will succeed. Take life by the scruff of the neck and never let go.

Buster Hyman
14th Sep 2002, 15:53
My sympathies GoGirl.

I too know of others that have left us since AN did, but none so close as I imagine your loss is.

I'm just stepping off of my personal rollercoaster now, but it's been hard to hold on. Whilst I never remotely looked down that road, I always knew that I had two smiling little faces to help get me through if it ever crossed my mind.

Also, we often talk about our "family" at AN (and I'm sure at QF too), perhaps we do need to reiterate that fact to some who need the reassurance that they will never be alone.

:)

GoGirl
16th Sep 2002, 11:51
[email protected]

Anybody wishing to send me a message of condolence that I will pass onto Aunty Millie, can do so by sending an email to my above address.

It helps, and will provide some comfort in the times to come, most especially those with a good story or 2, celebrating Norms life.

Thanks for support given to mum and I.

A very shattered GG