PDA

View Full Version : Sept 14th Anniversary of Ansett Demise-Reunions

downtheback
12th Sep 2002, 05:00
This Saturday is the anniversary of Ansetts Demise.

What a dreadful week this was last year!

A reminder to all ex staff there are big reunions on in most capitals.

In Brisbane I know there are 400 attending.

Who from PPRUNE is attending?

Where are the other reunions scheduled in other states?

Lets all make a big effort to get along!

See you there!

amos2
12th Sep 2002, 05:16
Seems to be some short memories here...the demise of Ansett occured in 1989!

downtheback
12th Sep 2002, 05:19
Gee Well I wonder who it was I was working for then!!!!

Pull your head in and stop trying to hijack other peoples posts

Sir Shiraz
12th Sep 2002, 05:51
That's pretty impressive amos.....only took you 16 minutes to get that in

;)

TheNightOwl
12th Sep 2002, 06:34
Hopefully I'll be there, in Melbourne. I seem to remember Amos2 and I have some unfinished "discussions" to continue, curiously enough about 1989. I prefer to discuss face-to-face, rather than by e-mail, should be interesting!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. ;)

waterops
12th Sep 2002, 07:10
Any info on the Sydney gathering? I presume there is one somewhere.

PS Amos you are an idiot.

Pole Vaulter
12th Sep 2002, 23:47
What would you expect from Amos. It is a wonder his buddies havent fouled up the post in their usual ways. And they wonder why they are such a mob of outcasts in the aviation world. It will be great night in BNE and hope each other port get as good a response as BNE.
Amos you had better tell your rabble to stay away from the BNE venue with their eggs this time as they will be far from welcome.
To Nightowl, Dont wait for him to show up. They are only willing to say or do anything if they can hide behind a computer or hide in darkness with their basket of eggs. Real men HA!!!!

TheNightOwl
13th Sep 2002, 01:35
PoleVaulter: Nah, mate, fair go, even for him. It appears that he and I met at the AN Sim Centre one day during the Engineers' picket-line blockade last year, when I apparently upset him by refusing to follow their example and blockade the Garden Drive base. His attitude is that I am a "scab-lover" because of my approach, irrespective of the fact that we were asked by the Administrators to continue operations as we were the only operation in the company still generating income for the rest.
My upset is from his e-mail to me enlightening me as to his objections, instead of telling me "face-to-face" at the time. I have no intention of getting excessively aggro with him, I'd just like the opportunity to state my case eye to eye, as it were.
Anyone who knows me is, by now, well aware of my beliefs about 1989, I've never been reticent about them, but there are some people who paint themselves into a corner and then cannot see a way out without losing face. Good on them, if that is their wont, but please don't let them foist their attitudes upon those of us who carried on. We each made our respective beds, now just lat us lie in them, hopefully not alone!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.

amos2
13th Sep 2002, 02:21
Hmmm...your memory seems to be rather selective Owl!
You seem to have conveniently forgotten that you emailed me... and I answered you! A little different to your version don't you think! :rolleyes:

Pole Vaulter
13th Sep 2002, 02:52
Thanks Night Owl,

I guess we all have had a gut full of the rantings and ravings of a certain group and at a time like this, the ground staff (who had nothing to do with their blue) do not need this kind of Cr#p on this thread. I remember back to another AN function here in BNE about 2 years ago where these "brave" men hid in the car park, in the dark, at the Hammo hotel in BNE when they heard of the function next door. As people went to leave they hurled abuse and eggs at all they could see. What they did not realise was as well as their favourite enemy (the dreaded SC$BS) they also hit some of their non returnees who have fortunately "got over it" and had been enjoying the night as well. If they make an appearance on Saturday night they will not only be taking on (the dreaded SC$BS) but about 450 ground staff as well so they might end up with egg on their faces if they try the same again. As I said brave men Ha!

TheNightOwl
13th Sep 2002, 03:41
No, Amos, I hadn't forgotten, it just isn't relative to the point. My problem with you is that I had to learn of your attitude by e-mail, you didn't see fit to tell me to my face of your thoughts. I have quite deliberately not answered your last e-mail, initially I decided that the argument wasn't worth the aggro, but then I decided that I'd had a gutful of the perpetual whining of some of the 89-ers about the dreaded "scabs", a term I despise. What you, and some of your kind, seem to forget is that the initial problem arose out of a grab for money and recognition of the status of pilots in this country, at a time when EVERYONE was being asked, and mostly agreeing, to pull in our belts. There are, without doubt, pros and cons on both sides of the fence, I just will no longer put up with the vitriol dished out by a bunch of self-centred egotists whose sole aim was to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else in the aviation world, and who then screamed bloody murder when the government of the day took them on head-on. Remember, my friend, who it was who resigned to protect their entitlements, and left the industry in turmoil.
For as much as I have always held pilots in high regard for the job they do, and the sacrifices they often make to get there, it may come as a surprise to some that they cannot walk on water, and that they are, in reality, just like the rest of us, trying to get by working for a living. It is the fault of the 89-ers ALONE that they have spent so long in the aviation wilderness, but then pride is sometimes a dreadful thing to have to try to swallow.
Hopefully, I'll see you at the do in Melbourne tomorrow, I'll be delighted to buy you a beer and continue this in person. I'll be wearing my PPRuNe wings, the only wings I'll ever wear, for recognition.

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. ;)

Travelling Toolbox
13th Sep 2002, 03:46
I hope you all enjoy yourselves people and the coming year finds you all onward and updward bound.

Best of luck. :)

Wizofoz
13th Sep 2002, 05:02
GGEEEZZZEEE!!!!

A year already!!!!

A little "Out of town" at the moment, so have a cold one for me!!

Best of luck to all, we've made it this far......

Buster Hyman
13th Sep 2002, 05:39
Ansett reunion party

12sep02

FORMER Ansett employees will gather in a Melbourne hotel on Saturday night to mark the first anniversary of the grounding of their former employer.

More than 400 former staff are expected to attend the "we survived" party organised by the Australian Services Union (ASU).
The party is at Mac's Hotel, near the former Ansett's Melbourne headquarters.

ASU state president Martin Foley said some former Ansett staff, including some who would have retired during the past year, would receive awards at the function.

"The theme of the party is 'Life's tough but we've survived and we're getting on with it'," Mr Foley said.

"It's going to be a positive night."

About 8000 former Ansett employees live in Victoria.

Similar functions for former Ansett employees will also be held in Sydney and Brisbane on Saturday.

Meanwhile the nation's peak union body today urged former Ansett workers to attend the next creditors' meeting of the collapsed airline.

The ACTU is hoping a creditors' meeting this month will approve a program of further payments of accrued entitlements owed to former employees.

ACTU secretary Greg Combet said a year after the Ansett collapse, the airline's 16,000 former employees had been paid only half their total entitlements, with about $370 million in payments still outstanding.

Mr Combet urged Ansett workers who could not attend the creditors' meeting in Melbourne on September 25 to give their proxy votes to their union representative.

"Most former Ansett employees have not found new jobs on equivalent incomes and need extra payments as soon as possible," he said.

The Ansett group of companies was placed in administration on September 12, 2001.

The airline was grounded on September 14.

Well, I'll be there!

waterops
13th Sep 2002, 15:19
Thanks, nightowl, etc, that's great...

Now if you're finished, back the original topic.... would ANYONE happen to have any info on Sydney gatherings???

Tool Time Two
14th Sep 2002, 06:16
Just a scabs reunion - with a few others hanging in.
The Real Ansett (airline) died in 1979 - the year Abeles got it.:cool:

Nav Light
14th Sep 2002, 06:55
GEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ............all the guy did was ask for a little info, and all the sad, bitter twisted people come out of the woodwork.

You know I just bought a book for my 11 year old son, and it's all about being 'a happy teenager', it is really interesting, and has some great info in it on how to handle lifes tricky situations.......but one part I really love.....

" if say, I hurt you, and you in return, say I'll never forgive you....
who suffers, not me!......you've got a knot in your stomach, you can't sleep, I'm probably out partying!
Where do we the get the idea that if we DON"T forgive people they suffer, that is nuts!!
If we don't forgive people, it only wrecks our lives, not theirs."
("Being a happy teenager, by ANdrew Matthews.)

Now this is basic advice for teenagers, and very sound avice too. Maybe I will order several hundread copies for all the prunies out there.

I lost my job, so did my husband, ( and no neither of us fly) but I'm sad, but hey, there's a lot to life than a job.........I'm healthy, happy, and life will have lots in store for us if we are patient. (my husband spent 6 months unemployed, but finally got a job, and I have a job, so life is going O.k)

Don't waste your life in negativity, do you really think the people you are angry at (and there could be many if you let yourself!) do you think they are out stewing over you, I think not!

Take the teenagers advice! By the way, any Sydney parties??

Z Force
14th Sep 2002, 06:57
Tool Time Two, you insipid little loser. Go and get a life like the rest of us have.

MIss Behaviour
15th Sep 2002, 01:51
There seem to be some people round here who think the only employees of Ansett were pilots. :mad:

This post is directed to all the other staff such as check-in, engineering, ramp, catering, flight attendants & anyone else who I've missed, where Ansett was not just a job but a way of life, even a second family. The camaraderie that existed in your respective departments cannot re replicated anywhere else.

With that 'other' significant anniversary of September 2001 just passed (& to some extent relived), it was a poignant reminder of how to make the most of every moment and take nothing for granted.

I wish all of you every success in the future whether it be with other airlines or in new avenues of employment.

I sincerely hope you have a fantastic time at the reunion party whatever state you're in & never lose touch with those near & dear to you.

xoxoxo

;) :p :) :D :cool:

Pole Vaulter
15th Sep 2002, 03:00
Well folks.
Old Mr TTT embodies all that is evil about the sad bunch that he is part of. They consider almost everyone that spent their life at AN scabs because they did not support "the cause" As was mentioned on another post one day they may wake up to the fact that they can't in fact walk on water or create lightning by by waving their arm. They are mere mortals like the rest of us. The posts on this thread show how they try to use any reason to push their long lost fight. Pity them all as they need it.

The BNE party was an outstanding success with approx 800 in attendance. Amazing for a company that if you believe the abovementioned finished in 89. Mr TTT should try to put a party together and rent a local phone box to have their get together.
What a fun night with Amos, TTT and KM and the like. Keep it up boys you just continue to show why you are one of the strange oddesys of Aussie aviation At least you keep us amused with your ravings.

CitizenXX
15th Sep 2002, 04:36
TTT,

You're a sickie, son. Get a psychiatrist, and FAST!!!

Z Force & Pole Vaulter, I'm with you.

Gnadenburg
15th Sep 2002, 06:26
Tool Time Two

One in three hundred of the former Ansett staff meet your criteria.

You are an EXTREMIST.

Appreciate the insight into your state of mind.

Extremists a very topical subject at the moment-Hamas, the Taliban and Yugoslavia.

I suppose it is lucky for civilisation you were born here!

Hap Hazard
15th Sep 2002, 07:27
What a happy little bunch AN must have been to work for with so many people slagging each other off...quite amazing...
By the way Nav Light , good post, there is more to life than the past...look forward, not backwards...good luck with the reunion.;)

MoFo
15th Sep 2002, 07:31
Coverage on Nine Network this morning showed ex Ansett pilots & F/As dressed up in their uniforms allegedly attending this event.

Why would you dress up in a uniform that hasn't been used for a year and invite a TV crew in to film you.

It all looks a bit like kiddy dress up time at the local kindergarten.

Guys and girls, we all feel for you. But its time to get a life and stop the Media stunts. Move on. There is nothing to be gained by being on Nine News dressed up like a clown.

cabin secure
15th Sep 2002, 09:54
The people in uniforms were the club staff working the event. If you bothered to look at everyone else, you would see the majority were in jeans.
The Brisbane event showed the true spirit of the Ansett staff.
Well done to those involved in the organising.
Was great to see everyone.

Lets have a Christmas party too!;)

Warren Rabbit
15th Sep 2002, 13:27
As somebody with no axe to grind for either side of the dispute, and with friends on both sides, I have often shaken my head at TTT's posts and wondered if I was missing something obvious.

Miss Behaviour, thanks, you summed it up. It seems anybody who worked in any capacity at all for Ansett after His Holiness TTT lost his job is a scab, apparently because they didn't show due deference to the sainted ones with their gold bars.

A psychiatrist would have a field day with poor old TTT. I pray for his sake he seeks the assistance of one. Even his 89er mates must be embarrassed at his rantings.

TIMMEEEE
15th Sep 2002, 22:19
Guys - I reackon TTT is giving just a wind up to view a reaction.

No one in their sane mind would post a thread like his that as someone said affects just one in 300 employees.

Dont feed it, and it will starve and die!!!!

Buster Hyman
16th Sep 2002, 01:04
...Yeah, but give him his due....it must be hard to type "one handed"!!!