PDA

View Full Version : Email encryption software...

solotk
11th Sep 2002, 23:35
Dear all,

I'm trying to find some sources on the web, which will detail to me, what level of encryption software, I can, and can't export.

The problem is, I've well invented some e-mail encryption software which will encrypt just about anything on the fly. By which I mean, all you have to do is type your message, add an attachment if need be, and the whole doo-dad is encrypted and sent.

Standards employed go from 128 bit RC4, right up to HS1, which is 128bit RC4+ 256 bit Rijndael. However, at that level, I'd only be supplying to friendly governments ....:D

So, does anyone know a source I can find, that will detail what can and can't be offered?

Any help much appreciated

P3

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
12th Sep 2002, 12:34
You could try http://rechten.kub.nl/koops/cryptolaw/index.htm...

I'm sure we would all be interested to learn more about your software ;)

solotk
12th Sep 2002, 13:17
Wow,

Well ther's all the information I need right there.

DTI have been sent the relevant paperwork and a sample of the doings, so we'll have to wait and see.

As far as i can ascertain,it's ok for sale in the UK, it's overseas which is the problem :(

We do have a document supporting the software, which I can let interested parties have a look at, but we won't be selling it overseas at all, till I can get some clarification.

Anyone who wants the information papers can e-mail me...:D

Ausatco
12th Sep 2002, 13:29
Given where you're up to in the field, you probably already know about this, but ...

You could try downloading a copy of PGP and reading the included documentation. It not only tells you how to use the prog, but also describes what the prog's author, Phil Zimmermann, went through because certain agencies of a certain large, influential Western government felt threatened by his efforts. There are also a number of references that may be worth pursuing.

It may not provide answers, but you may get some insight.

AA

7x7
12th Sep 2002, 14:21
You'd go a long way to beat PGP - and it's free to download.

solotk
12th Sep 2002, 14:50
We do...........

and not as complicated as PGP for the non-IT aware, doesn't need bolting onto individual e-mails, doesn't need digital certificates, and it's a LOT cheaper than commercial PGP, one click setup.Our stuff talks to all the MAPI compliant e-mail client, without needing separate boltons...
Did I mention it encrypts on the fly? :D

ORAC
12th Sep 2002, 15:17
HACKERS BEG BORING PEOPLE TO STOP ENCRYPTING EMAIL :D :D

Security Experts Concur Most of You Have Nothing Worth Encrypting Anyway

San Jose, Calif. (SatireWire.com) — In an unusual worldwide appeal, the International Brotherhood of Computer Hackers today asked particularly boring people to please stop encrypting their emails.

According to IBCH President Björn Haxor, hackers spend thousands of hours intercepting and cracking open encrypted emails — believing it to be "the good stuff" — only to find most contain little more than "Two priests walk into a bar," or "Hi Bob, here's my new email address."

"Maybe you think hacking coded messages is simple, but it's not — well, except for the Microsoft Outlook ones," said Haxor. "The rest of it is a pain in the backdoor. So here's a tip: if you encrypt just because you want to keep your personal information 'secret,' but all you're encrypting is blather about your stupid promotion or a recipe for fruit salad, guess what? Your secret's already out. You're dull."

"Please, keep it to yourself and stop wasting our time," he added.

Instead, Haxor said, people should only encrypt if they are going to send information such as passwords, credit card numbers, blueprints for an unreleased product, or confidential sales figures. Barring that, he advised, "at least give us something revealing, like you slept with your boss's wife, or his Airedale."

In fact, some frustrated hackers have begun to fight back against what they call "rampant, reckless encryption."

"I had one guy at Oracle who encrypted everything, and 80 percent of his emails were gripes about his department head," said IBCH member BlackDogg77. "I got so fed up, I bounced all the emails back to the guy's boss and got him fired. I mean, why should I put up with that ****?"

"Or Al Gore," Haxor added. "The other day I'm monitoring some government servers, and I see all these encrypted emails from Gore. Hey Al, news alert: You're Al Gore. No one cares anymore. Give it up."

Surprisingly, computer security experts agree. "I get this all the time: 'Should I encrypt? I don't want anyone to steal my identity,'" said LockUpOnline President Bing D'aahl. "The textbook answer has been 'Yes,' but now we are advising people to first ask themselves, 'Do I have an identity that anyone would really want to steal?'"

If you answer truthfully, D'aahl said, chances are you'll forego the digital ID and save everyone a lot of trouble.

"Remember, the Internet wasn't built just for you," Haxor added.

Copyright © 2002, SatireWire.

Satirewire (http://www.satirewire.com/news/aug02/encryption.shtml)