PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground School and 150hrs

Pistol Pete
11th Sep 2002, 23:02
Hi all

Can one start doing one's JAA ATPL ground school and exams(either as distance learning or residential) before you have done 150hrs TT and 100 as P1?

I was hoping to do my ATPL written early next year and then go on to do some structured hour building and then straight into doing my CPL/IR. I would only be able to do a small amount of hour building during my ATPL writtens (undecided on residential or distance as circumstances will dictate closer to the time) so either work/money or studying will play a factor in the hour building.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Many thanks

Pete

Crosswind Limits
11th Sep 2002, 23:17
It's all changed under JAR:

You can start ATPL groundschool with just a PPL. The 150 hours rule was in the old CAA days. I started my ATPL theory with 55 hours!

Pistol Pete
11th Sep 2002, 23:23
Hi Crosswind Limits

Thanks for the answer. That will help make my planning easier.

Do you still need the 150hr for the CPL still? I guess you would.

Regards

Pete

FlyingForFun
12th Sep 2002, 08:48
Pete,

Yes, you do still need 150 hours before you can start the CPL (and I think 200 hours before you can take the CPL skills test). I think that doing the exams first, then the hour building, is the best way of doing it. That way you are more current when you start the CPL course, which can only make it easier. (Unfortunately, I had to do it in the other order due to time constraints, but that's a different story...)

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Crosswind Limits
12th Sep 2002, 09:53
To start the CPL course you need 150 hours TT. The requirement for 200 hours TT and 100 hours P1 is for licence issue. The only requirement to sit the GFT is that you have completed an approved CPL course. You must also have completed the 300nm cross country flight prior to licence issue.