PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 renewal

icebox
11th Sep 2002, 15:20
Hello

I have one quick question. I have my Class1 Medical renewal in November. Will I have to do the colour vision test again? Big probs getting through on the initial.

I'm under the assumption that as colour vision does not change, one does not have to take the test after the initial medical.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance

Icebox.

Captain Stable
12th Sep 2002, 16:26
Interesting one.

I've had to do the colour-vision test a few times, but not always. I don't think I'd better post the names of AME's I've had renewals with just in case I get them into trouble if it should be done every time! ;)

Can anyone advise?

And by the way, if there's anyone reading this thread from within the Medical Branch @ Castle Greystone, any contributions you could make to the Forum would be extremely welcome generally. Thanks! :)

Labarynth Seal
13th Sep 2002, 01:51
Under JAR - FCL Medical Regs, the routine eye examination can be found under 3.12B

On renewal the whole list of eye tests should be done, but depends on how slack your AME is. Also, if you have let your medical slide for over a month after your renewal date you may be subject to an extended medical again.

The Colour perception regs can be found under JAR-FCL 3.225 in the medical section.

Colour vision can change if there is a significant pathology present. Under the regs this can, if you fail this part of your medical, end your commercial flying career. colour perception is a big thing (especially when on a taxiway or when landing at night).

According to JAR-FCL regs 3.225 para D, a substantial opthalmalogical examination is required every 5 years up till you are 40 and every 2 years after that.

Now i don't know how long you have hade your class 1 and wether you are under or over 40, but that should point you in the right direction.

Captain Stable - You are lucky. You should be tested for it every time, but it would seem in your case it is discretionary. (Are you good pals with your AME?)...don't answer that.

Yours Medically

Labarynth Seal
(Helo pilot and Doctor)

icebox
18th Sep 2002, 12:23
Thanks for your replies.

I have been in contact with a few people. Some say no colour vision test on renewal, and some say yes. As mentioned above, I suppose it depends on the AME.

Labarynth Seal, this will be my first renewal and I am under 40yrs of age.

Regards

Icebox.