View Full Version : CX Cockpit visits ?

anthrax
11th Sep 2002, 11:35
I am currently a student studying at university and I am very intrested in applying to join CX via the cadetship...

I will be starting my third and final year of uni in London soon and will be taking CX 251 there next week.....

I would just like to ask what is CX's policy about cockpit visits. Is it possible for me to take a ride in the Jump Seat for TO....? If so, who should a contact?

Thanks

tone-uncage-fire
11th Sep 2002, 20:04
Sorry anthrax...... those days are gone. Security is the obvious major reason but 2ndly the rest of the passengers get nervous seeing someone walking forward...... I know I would too...and they could take things into their own hands. .... and then we'd have to do lots of paperwork!

Good luck with the Cadetship, should you decide to follow that route.

bengi25
12th Sep 2002, 01:20
Bengi, This is a very widely read forum, you have now told readers where the key, (who said there was a key?), to the door is held, from this they could formulate an hijack plan, could they not? Sorry, but, very belatedly, in the interests of security and at the request to-day, 4th March 2003, of others from Fragrant Harbour I have edited out your comment though I appreciate you were just making a joke (?).

BlueEagle - Moderator.

anthrax
12th Sep 2002, 02:33
well thanks anyways.....

PILAME
12th Sep 2002, 02:56
anthrax maybe you should go for a change of name. I don't think anyone wants anthrax near a cockpit.
:D :D :D

skytops
2nd Mar 2003, 23:00
Just wondering if someone could please clarify Cathay's exact policy on cockpit visits?

Does company policy strictly ban any pilots from accepting cockpit visitors? Or does the captain have the ultimate say?

On a Cathay flight Auckland to HK recently a steward refused point blank to show my pilot licence to the captain in enquiring of the possibility of a cockpit visit. If that is the reponse they are required to give, then that's fine.

I always ask, on the off-chance. Most airlines don't allow me to visit the cockpit these days. However I thoroughly enjoyed extended lenths of time observing from the jump seat on recent flights on Garuda from Auckland via Brisbane to Bali. Air Nelson Saab flights in NZ are usually good for a jump-ride too.

Can anyone recommend other airlines where there's a chance of a cockpit visit?

hymie
3rd Mar 2003, 00:56
In a nutshell, CX's policy is that no-one apart from the FA's serving the cockpit, and the cabin boss should enter the flight deck. This even includes CX flight crew who are positioning as crew.

VR-HFX
3rd Mar 2003, 12:47
Skytops

There are very few airlines that will let anything into the cockpit that will not slide under the door.

I think it is wrong but it is policy.

The die hards don't need to slit my throat to kill 400 people but that's where the world is these days.

In my experience we have always got a tremendous amount of PR by allowing cockpit visits and i hope that day returns soon enough.

smallwing
3rd Mar 2003, 22:26
Skytops,

Just funny thought came to my head is that perhaps the hijackers showed their pilot license and that's how they got into the cockpit.

Yes I know US always have had a closed door policy. It was a joke.

With the way things are in our current state, I don't see them slacking back to an open door thing, as much as I would like it to.

ironbutt57
4th Mar 2003, 18:44
Too bad indeed...was invited to the flight deck to watch the famous rwy 13 approach into kai-tek many moons ago...for a first timer it was indeed good value!

Kaptin M
10th Mar 2003, 06:22
Why settle for a jump seat??

Go to New Zealand, and you can FLY the thing from the left hand seat!!

Here`s how:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=83196