PDA

View Full Version : Daytona, Florida, US of A

Captain SZ
25th Jan 2001, 16:53
Hi

Seeing that the search function is currently unavailable, do any of you out there know much about the FAA Commercial Pilot Training course at the Embry Riddle University, Daytona Beach, Florida?

I'm thinking of training in the States as course prices are just to high here in the UK. It really is unfortunate. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Any info on it will be greatly appreciated.

Captain SZ :)

------------------
Are we on the ground yet?

Dragger of Tail
25th Jan 2001, 18:39
I flew a few hours at Daytona Beach two years ago. Embry Riddle is a HUGE and very professional establishment, full of students of every nationality under the Sun. The airfield however, must be the busiest and most frantic airfield in the US. I spent nearly twenty minutes waiting for clearance to cross a taxiway. Also the dropping of parachutists so that they descend through the hold livens things up no end.

[This message has been edited by Dragger of Tail (edited 27 January 2001).]

Captain SZ
26th Jan 2001, 00:21
Wow!
Thanks for that. I suppose it would take one a while to complete a course there. Sounds like fun place to be however.

Cheers!!

Jason2000
26th Jan 2001, 01:32
Hello !

I flew into Datona Beach once while doing my PPL over in the States. Yes, it's a really exciting place, but very busy. My instructor and I were flying around in circles for about 15 minutes waiting to land.

It was excellent-the first time I had an airliner (B737) land just infront of me!

You'll like it if you decide to go there..

Jason

Jetheat
26th Jan 2001, 14:07
Hello Captain SZ,

I did all my Flight Training at DAB. I was there flying for a full 3 years. I was not at Riddle although I use to go there every day just to use their PCs.Riddle training is good but very expensive. I did it on the other side of the field (self sponsored). It is a much nicer atmosphere over there at the Phil Air Flight Centre. Just a nice smaller school. Another FBO on the airfield is Phoenix East Aviation - a much larger school but again, more expensive. The small school (Phil Air Flight Centre) has less restrictions and is a bit more relaxed. I would recommend that u go there if u wanna save money. Example: C152 can be hired for about $45 and can go down more if u buy in bulk!
If u have any more questions, give me a shout.

3db
26th Jan 2001, 14:17
Agree Embry Riddle is huge. I was on a long night IFR cross country flight in a C172RG when the alternator warning light came on. Nearest airport was Daytona. Landed and Embry Riddle had mechanics working at 2.00AM who provided a work around so we could get back to our base. Very nice people, in my short meeting with them.

The flying gunman
26th Jan 2001, 20:01
There is a good strip bar in Daytona as well'Molly Browns'. Gorgeous girls. A bit of a haunt for us when I was at OBA.

------------------
He who smiles when the sh** hits the fan has found someone else to blame!

Captain SZ
27th Jan 2001, 00:08
:) :) :)!! Totty in the sun!!!

Thanks everyone for replying! Sounds Great :)

JetHeat, I will check out the other schools in the area before I make any decisions!!!

SZ

JEC
27th Jan 2001, 16:31
While you are checking other schools - then check this one www.faa-test.com (http://www.faa-test.com)

The school has a UK representative.

JLucas
30th Jan 2001, 20:15
I am currently a senior at ERAU in the Aeronautical Science major (Professional Pilot). I love it here. I started my flying at the school, but did my other ratings of campus. As a new flight student, you are required to do at least your private pilot rating at school. It may be expensive, but its the best training you can get. If you do opt to fly off campus latter, all of the instructors went to ERAU anyway, so you still get the training. The flying is expensive, but the school is great. If you want to persue a career as a pilot, this is the place to be. A degree from Embry-Riddle carries a lot of weight, so you would have an advantage when you go for that job. Not to mention living in Daytona Beach is awsome. Good luck
JHL

Captain SZ
30th Jan 2001, 22:26
:) COOL :)

I'm going to start my PPL next week up here in the UK. :) Finally. :)

Am currently awaiting brochure from ERAU. (Hurry up post!!)
From what most of you said about Daytona Beach, both the flying and the living, sounds good. Finance at ERAU of course, will have to be looked at and considered. Thats where the other schools should shine. However, the possibility of instructing afterwards at the school seems to be an attractive part of the deal.

Look forward to getting into the air. Thanks for the info all. :)

SZ

------------------
Are we on the ground yet?

Speed Addict
1st Feb 2001, 06:15
ERAU is the finest and the most dedicated ever ab-initio flight training organization. Going there is learning from the Gods...
I believe a few things have changed since I left, but I still hear the very finest news about the University, its reputation and what the major airlines think of it... Number 1! The one and only. No question, no discussion about this, for the next after might be awesome (FSI, Vero Beach, FL), but hardly offers one tenth of the knowledge and experience one is to find at ERAU.
Speed Addict
ERAU Alumni, DB, B.S. Aero.Sci. 1994
Hi to all the other Alumni out there ! How are you all doing ? :-) ;-)

[This message has been edited by Speed Addict (edited 01 February 2001).]

thatwasclose
8th Feb 2001, 09:39
I work as an insructor for the university and it does have a high standard of training, although pretty costly for the US. Daytona is very busy and you can waste alot of time operating in and out of there. They have started flying out of Deland, about 20 mins away and the operation is a bit more relaxed but students get through faster. It is called C.A.T.E.R, and the parachuting takes place at Deland airport. Had to go around a few times as jumpers sometimes stray onto the runways. If ask about the place but do not do your multi at riddle. It is far to expensive.
Best of luck
ps the beach is great

smallwing
15th Mar 2002, 07:49
Not wanting to say anything bad about Riddle, but I find it very expensive. But you do get the training out of the price.. .. .I got my ppl done at Phoenix East Aviation, right across from Riddle. Relaxed and great instructors. They have a lot of specials and I think it is recommended to take a look their way.. .. .If you can afford Riddle, then by all means do not turn away from it. . .. .For your reference, <a href="http://www.pea.com" target="_blank">www.pea.com</a>

JB007
15th Mar 2002, 09:33
<a href="http://www.philair.com" target="_blank">Phil Air Web Site</a> . .. .I borrowed a C172-RG last summer, english mate is an instructor with Phil Air - ask for Nick Grace, he'll look after you.

no sponsor
15th Mar 2002, 13:37
Waiting for 20 minutes at the hold eh? that sounds like High Wycombe.

Matthewjharvey
15th Mar 2002, 14:58
20 minute delay at Daytona is good - I've spent an hour to 90 minutes there before, I would not recommend it as a good place to learn to fly.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Mar 2002, 16:31
I have had many wonderful flying hours flying from Dayotna and Spruce Creek, and would definitely recommend it, as everyone has said it is very busy and good practice for busy airport environments. A couple of instructors I have had doing my check outs, both who worked for Phil Air, went to ER and from what they said it sounds like a fine establishment. It also looks the part from the external views down Clyde Morris Blvd, where it is located.. .. .Just out of interest, I noticed that your origin is Oxford, is it possible to convert FAA professional pilots licences to their JAR equivalents, I was under the impression this was either impossible, or difficult and may be expensive, just a thought? However you may have a US passport of green card?

clear prop!!!
16th Mar 2002, 02:51
I think that CAT3C may have hit the nail on the head.. .. .There can be no doubt that ER is one of the best places if not the best place to do you FAA ATPL. .. .From your profile and past posts, you are clearly a British citizen. Do you intend to ultimately look for work in the US? If so, can you?. .. .To convert your FAA ATPL to a JAR one, will cost you the thick end of an arm and a leg, to the point that you would be as well to bite the bullet and go for OATS or BAe.. .. .In addition, there is a HUGE amount of misplaced, illinformed naive bias against US training over here, most of which comes from those without a US hour to their name! One would almost think that US aviators fall out of the sky on an hourly basis if you were to believe some of the comments on this very forum!!. .. .From what I have seen and heard ON A FIRST HAND BASIS, ER is without doubt the place to go if you intend to progress your career in the US.. .. .Daytona will give you some excellent experience, which you will have little chance of replicating here. I spent many an approach there whilst doing my FAA IR and, whilst it was busy, I have to say I had nowhere near the problems that some of the above have experienced.. .. .Good luck

Slim20
16th Mar 2002, 16:05
Apart from the presence of top class training available in Florida, the bonus is truly friendly skies - there are all grades of pilot flying there of practically every nationality. Makes for a very interesting and varied GA experience. I found it a great place to kick start my flying career.. .. .However I found Daytona Beach to be a redneck trash heap. Molly Browns is probably the only establishment where the girls have all their own teeth.