PDA

View Full Version : Britannia, Episode 3

Bluebaron
11th Sep 2002, 08:36
Just thought i would start a new thread for the holding pool pilots.

Unfortunatly i don´t have much new info but here is what i know.

Britannia took on 6 CTC cadets in June on a tempory basis (six months). They are now said to be interviewing up to 17 Type rated pilots from JMC for direct entry onto 757. They have also announced a sponsership scheme for 6 cadets to start training down at Bae systems in February.

So thats the basic´s. This does show that the airline market is beginning to bubble again.

I, and i´m sure others in the pool would appricate any comments on the situation and rumours on future plans regarding both the pool and when general recruitment may begin again.

BB :)

ps: feel free to correct my info as it´s only what i´ve picked up on PPrune and though friends etc.

tailscrape
11th Sep 2002, 09:30
BlueBaron,

This is what I am led to believe:

1) The jmc pilots may join on a TEMPORARY secondment to help BY over the winter as BY will be short, with their crew hungry HAJJ period.

2) BY will advertise in a few weeks/days for TYPE RATED pilots. They need to recruit up to 24 permanent pilots.

3) There is a (small?) possibility of a small number of the final potential redundees at jmc being offered preferential interview dates to ensure quick joining for PERMANENT jobs.

Not good news if you are in the hold pool I fear, however things are picking up generally it would seem!

TS

ChickenHawk
11th Sep 2002, 14:50
The JMC guys have just been told that their redundancy notices are being withdrawn but you can add a handful of Air2000 757 pilots to the potential Brit list. These were the guys made redundant by the Co last year and brought back in on temporary contracts.

Turbine1
11th Sep 2002, 15:18
Just add my say, i haven't heard anything out of JMC regarding this Brit deal, heard that they may be cancelling the Redun, awaiting a meeting this week.

Nothing regarding Air2000, I don’t’ think they have given there guy’s who are part time permanent, permanent jobs yet.

What I understand from the crew rooms are that there is a lot of movement within the pilot work force. management seems to be living in cuckoo land.

;)

expedite_climb
11th Sep 2002, 17:23
Turbine,

I think the email only got sent to FO's as that was who it is applicable too. The rest as tailscrape says...

ChickenHawk
11th Sep 2002, 19:01
Only 6 PPY left now in Air2K now all the rest have gone to DHL!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A and C
12th Sep 2002, 07:26
Having over reacted to last years events the beancounters are trying to avoid taking on the pilots that they had to re-hire on temp contracts after they fired them to quickly the first time !.

The whole thing is looking like it will end it tears for the companys that think that they can lay off pilots now and re-hire in the spring , one of the more enlightend charter companys is at the moment offering permanent contracts to some of the guys that it has on temp contracts.

The above airline has its finger on the pulse of the market and will not get caught in the bun fight that will be next springs recruting when the beancounters finaly wake up to the fact that there are no type rated pilots on the market and without the pilots they cant meet there contract commitments.

The hot gossip at the moment is that Easy Jet are about to take 60 pilots from BMI..........can this be true ?.

The bottom line is that by next spring the job prospects for all the wannabes are going to be much better than of late.

Bluebaron
12th Sep 2002, 07:44
Thanks everyone for your quick, concise answers and opinions regarding my post.

Good to know the systems does work sometimes.:)

BB :D

ChickenHawk
12th Sep 2002, 08:31
The 60 guys to easyJet are a direct result of BMI management changing the business model, as a result up to 140 B737 rated guys have asked for a type change to the 320 in order to stay at LHR and not to have to move to Baby!

Well done Brits you must have one of the most content work forces around at the moment which reaps benefits in other ways!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mialo
14th Sep 2002, 15:49
Britannia are running courses in january and will be interviewing soon...

many pilots holding easyjet start dates in the new year Jan - March have yet to give their notice in, many airlines will find themselves undercrewed come spring and will be srambling for pilots.

yet again the bean counters have got it wrong, they will cost their airlines more money because it would have been cheaper to keep on their existing pilots than to rehire and retrain.

Ben Evans
14th Sep 2002, 16:52
I must say I admire Britannia in many ways. They have not chopped pilots as a kneejerk to Sept 11th. Their overall package is good and working conditions similar.

Whilst time to command is long very few pilots ever seem to leave (a bit like Monarch but more so).

They have been willing over the years to take a full spectrum of experience including running a sponsorship scheme.

They just seem to run a less "tight" crewing schedule than Air2000, Airtours and JMC. I wish them well in the upcoming industry upturn.

Good luck to all the youngsters at CTC and applying to their sponsorship scheme.

Ben.

Bluebaron
24th Sep 2002, 15:26
Well got my letter this morning, anyone else?

things are on the up!:D

AMEX
24th Sep 2002, 20:05
Yep got it too.....