PDA

View Full Version : Pics we'd love to jump into!

Slasher
11th Sep 2002, 07:29
While posting this pic on another thread it occured to me Im probabley not the only nostalgic pilot who'd love to "jump in" and become part of a pic thats close to the heart.

I have a few pics but this one is my favorite. Id love to just "jump in" and go back to that age when flying and aeroplanes were pure joy!

http://www.fototime.com/F05F859354ED590/standard.jpg

Anyone else?

Windy Militant
11th Sep 2002, 16:48
Thanks Mr Slasher I've had a miserable day at work and that spiffy old picture cheered me up by reminding me of the fly-in I went to last weekend. Very pleasant way to spend a Sunday, shooting the breeze, enjoying the scenery (dodging the showers). Had a nice display of aerial acrobatics by the the jolly cove in the Tigermoth. Nearly got to Old Warden earlier in the year but the weather put the Kibosh on that dontcha know!
So yes I would like to be a part of that idyllic scene. You can almost smell the grass and the Caster oil and hear the soft growl of the engine .................
:)

I. M. Esperto
11th Sep 2002, 17:35
God be with the days!

pigboat
12th Sep 2002, 02:16
Great pic, Slasher. With a little imagination, you can smell the burnt oil, the dope and the new mown grass.
Pleasant memories of this one www.airliners.net/open.file?id=172146/M/

Chimbu chuckles
12th Sep 2002, 12:21
Actually I spent an enjoyable 30 minutes looping and rolling a friends DH82a over South Stradbroke Island a few weeks ago....after a 9 year hiatus from the type:(

My third loop and third roll were good enough to ellicit a whoop of joy down the Gosport tube from t'other cockpit:D

Rather a strong 'crosswind' was evident in the last half of the first 'barrel roll', slightly reduced in the second before dissappearing completely in the third:D

I used to dream about how much fun it would be flying skiis in the winter and floats in the summer...then I heard the stories from a couple of Canuck buddies about preflights in the dark and -15degC, preheating engines before starting...or taking the oil out after last flight and setting it by the open fire in your cabin so it wouldn't turn to black, cold sludge overnight:(

Then I was glad my formative years were in ISA + 20 and 85% humidity:D

Young Chuck in simpler times (http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={5320747B-2622-423A-9929-4EE5999F9638})

I also remember my first few hours in Tigers logged in mid winter in NSW....even all rugged up it was BLOODY COLD....not that the cold ever slowed me down....young, dum and full of cum ;)

I wonder if we could show a picture of a C185 or 182RG cockpit to a Tiger pilot of the 1930s what he would say?

What am I saying :eek:...I think I'll go back to your post Slasher and sniff the cut grass mingling with oil and 'av spirit':D

Chuck.

PS. Castor oil guys? No rotary engines in sight!

I. M. Esperto
12th Sep 2002, 14:33
If any of you are in the NY area for a few days, don't miss The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

Biggles Flies Undone
12th Sep 2002, 15:02
Back in the ‘70s Pilot Magazine in the UK ran a couple of great series of articles (think I’ve still got them all up in my loft somewhere). One was by (forgive me if I get it wrong – trying to give up Google) – E Nesbit Dufort – all about passenger flying in the years after WWII. The other (memory triggered by your pic Slash) was by a Polish Count (Zichy?) about the Areo Club scene in the ‘30s and I’m sure the Great God PC wouldn’t let them publish the articles now! Basically, the guys with a private income would fly to a different airfield each day, get totally smashed in the bar and then re-group by their Moths to decide who was the least inebriated. Using the Colonial patois of the time, the soberest chap became the ‘Wallah’ and the rest of them played ‘Foller The Wallah Back Home’.

Spirit than won the Battle of Britain or just a bunch of rich reprobates?

pigboat
13th Sep 2002, 02:25
BFU, I suspect the former. :)

reynoldsno1
13th Sep 2002, 03:52
Nice MG advert, Slasher!

I have a mental pic of the war years involving my uncle, who was a RadNav on Beaufighters and Mosquitos. He must have spent 4 years awake in darkness from what I have gathered. He was killed on the Cherbourg peninsular in 1944. I have a copy of the accident report that makes for desperate reading - he had been awarded his 2nd DFC only weeks before.

I never knew him, as I came along some years later, and my father rarely mentioned his brother. I have one photograph , but often try to imagine myself with him.

Then there's my great grandfather, master mariner, who lost a command in 1864 - now I've got to find out more about that, and let my imagination run away again....

LowNSlow
13th Sep 2002, 10:11
Slasher, next time you're in the UK and it's a sunny day, visit us at Rush Green it's just like your piccy (except for the 73's and 75's trundling down LTN's approach :D) including the Tigers!