PDA

View Full Version : Norton Firewall

I. M. Esperto
10th Sep 2002, 17:30
I have McAfee and Zone Alarm, and someone suggested I get Norton, because it is superior to the others.

Any Comments/Opinions here?

What_does_this_button_do?
11th Sep 2002, 04:51
I use Norton Firewall and I love it - does the job very well in my opinion but I know of others who don't like it for whatever reason. I have a complicated rule base as I also setup VPN's between by friends so this product is ideal.

ZoneAlarm is good up until a point. ZoneAlarm pro is a far superior product compared to its free counterpart.

As the saying goes, you pays your money you takes your choice.

ORAC
11th Sep 2002, 05:37
I used to use Norton, I now use Zone Alarm Pro. The one thing that annoys me is the pop-up telling me that "privacy setting have affected this site". If someone can tell me how to turn this off I would be eternally grateful.

I. M. Esperto
11th Sep 2002, 11:05
Thanks, Gents.

I'd like to know how to get rid of that popup myself.

Capt Snooze
12th Sep 2002, 06:28
ORAC and I. M. Esperto

goto Zone Alarm Pro Control Center

goto Alerts and Logs tab

goto Alert Events Shown

click OFF

Snooze :) :)

ORAC
12th Sep 2002, 12:35
It is, it doesn't. :(

I. M. Esperto
12th Sep 2002, 13:33
I still get that "Privacy settings....."

Eboy
17th Sep 2002, 00:27
I used Norton personal firewall for a while, but when I checked the log, I was recording no events. Tech support was useless. When trying ZoneAlarms Pro, I recorded 2-3 events a day (i.e., things looking at my IP address, which may or may not be hackers), so I stayed with that. It seemed to be capturing more things. But, it may have just been computer or Norton setup problems on my end. I still use the Norton Utilities and Norton Antivirus.

As an aside, yesterday I set up a Linksys 802.11b wireless Access Point and Router in my home yesterday to wirelessly extend my DSL broadband line. To my surprise, I found the LinkSys supports integrated "enhanced gateway security" using ZoneAlarms Pro, by selecting that option in the LinkSys operating system and the ZoneAlarms Pro software (see the top of the Advanced Firewall settings). It apparently brings some of the ZoneAlarms Pro functionality beyond my PC to the LynkSys device. Exactly how useful this is, or exactly what it is, I have not yet determined. The LinkSys device does not include the same support for Norton Personal Firewall.

Capt Snooze
17th Sep 2002, 02:54
OK

Try this:

goto Privacy

goto Main tab

goto Cookie Control

goto Custom

goto Cookies tab

untick Privacy Advisor

OK your way out again....

This setting can also be changed for individual sites