PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old to start training for an airline pilot career?

jetsetter
10th Sep 2002, 17:09
Just wondering, anyone with any advice about starting train for an airline pilot career at 38 years of age? Am i too old? By the time i complete my training....i'll be around 40....do u think airlines...especially in Malaysia or Singapore will look at my resume.....Please advice me....thanks in advance...

Slasher
11th Sep 2002, 06:07
What carreer were you following up till now?

Sounds like your sufferin from male menopause! :p

747-400 F/O
11th Sep 2002, 06:26
Im sorry to say maybee you are a bit old for SQ or MA.

However, even though you might be to old for majors by the time you are finished, I wouldn't say you are too old for smaller airlines such as regionals etc.

Good luck.

Lee
11th Sep 2002, 13:37
I'm not afraid to tell you that SQ's ideal ages for cadet pilots are: 26 for Singaporeans and around twenties for foreigners.

Unless you are applying as a Direct-intake Captain, then any age or nationality will be welcomed. (Provided they are type-rated in the a/c which SQ uses)

Don't give up your dream of flying just because of your age. There are many older low-time pilots (because they started late in their careers) who are flying freighters. So, maybe this could be one avenue for you to consider.

BlueEagle
11th Sep 2002, 13:39
Probably too old for an airline career, assuming a reasonably large carrier, but possibly not too old for an aviation career in the smaller outfits. Just my opinion, but currently thousands of highly qualified pilots are out of work.

kwaiyai
13th Sep 2002, 18:13
Hey Jetsetter,
one way to never get a job flying is not to go and get your licence. Its a tough hard struggle and maybe disappointing but you make your own luck. I was in a 757 sim the other day and my instructor had worked his A??? off he flies for major over here in the country I'm in at the moment 0n 777@s now and like me was not young when he started.
Best of luck to you. :D

ohboy
30th Sep 2002, 04:22
Hi everyone,

Another question, on the same topic. I have over 400hrs TT with MECIR and so on but, my age is 32. I was born in Malaysia migrated to Australia when i was 16. Did all my flying by means of self improver and my education with a degree here.

Is there any chance for some like myself getting a foot in a door sort of speak with SQ or MAS?

MR. Login
25th Oct 2002, 12:57
+definitely too old for MH or SQ. Save the money for a better investment.

Sick Squid
26th Oct 2002, 02:13
What a hard-bitten cynical bunch y'all are! :) Best way never to achieve a dream is never to try... you may well be a bit old for certain aviation career paths, but others are still open.

Have a look up in the wannabes forum... not necessary to start a new thread, just either do a specific search, or set your browser back about a year, crack open a cold one, and dedicate 4 hours of your life to reading as much of it as you can. This question has arisen many times.... don't expect a definitive answer, but you will get a bit of clarity.

Never ask a group of pilots a question, by the way.. you will get 18 different answers, each one right! ;) I believe if you really want something, you have to try... you only get one shot at this life.

MR. Login
28th Oct 2002, 01:21
"you may well be a bit old for certain aviation career paths, but others are still open".

While your statement is generally right, I believe Jetsetter was asking a specific question regarding setting up a career as an SQ or MH pilot. It different with western airlines where you'd have "Equal Opportunities Employment", " Anti Discrimination Policy" and so on, it just doesn't quite happen aroung this neck of the woods.

The airlines economics is on the down cycle at the moment and MH is still figuring out what to do. Sing Air meanwhile have high time pilots at their finger tips, ready to fill the vacancy at any time. Besides, both these airlines prefer their own cadet pilots, the majority fresh out of school at 18 yrs of age and not to mention the airforce and GA guys waiting in line.

I have many many friends whom have trained themselves, and some with thier moms and dads selling their one and only home to pay for CPL/ME-IR/ATPL and ended up not getting the job at either SQ or MH because they are considered by the airlines to be past their primes to start as a second officer there. Now, how do I know this you say. It is because I've spoken to the Chief Pilots myself, that's how.

Squid, it is different where you are. Your society is more civilised and there may be a chance for jetsetter there, not here, and that is the hard and bitter truth or would you rather me massage it wee bit?

Sick Squid
28th Oct 2002, 02:46
No, mate.. thats why we have debate.. I am unaware of certain things as much as you may be unaware of others, and neither of us probably have a full picture... and if you look in the dictionary for any language under "cynic" there will be a picture of some bloke with a pilots uniform on... guarantee it! :)

Nevertheless, even with a cultural slant attached to it, on a human level I will stand by what I say.. if you have a dream, figure out how to make it happen. Input such as the above may well indeed lead to a modification, a realisation even, but I firmly believe in not totally dissuading people.

So speak your mind, and massage nothing. No-one here wants that. I read a generalised request with an emphasis on Singapore and Malaysia. If there are hurdles thrown up by culture, then it is admirable to make people aware of them. Whether they then choose to treat those hurdles as insurmountable, or to actually give it their best shot is up to them, and none of us should apply any value judgement to their decision, before or after.

MR. Login
28th Oct 2002, 09:21
wasn't judging mate. An advice was asked. One given.

Cynical: One who attributes ALL actions to selfish motives. Was my motive selfish?....don't think so... I've got nothing to gain but on the contrary Jetsetter has lots to lose by starting late in Sin & Mal. You on the other hand judged me. I believe that whatever dreams or goal that one have they must be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timeframe.

Anyway, enough of this. We have differing opinions so it is up to tha bloke what he wants to do. You generally are right and I have the local knowledge.;)

thegypsy
1st Nov 2002, 08:08
Definitely too old and post 9/11 a complete waste of money.

LEE correction to your note .To get a Direct command with SIA you do not have to be type rated merely a certain experience level.

For B747 you have to type rated,but not for B777 where 95% come without a 777 Rating