PDA

View Full Version : Malarone as Malaria prophylaxis $$$

moosp
10th Sep 2002, 13:30
After a discussion with a doctor over the best malaria prophylaxis for aircrew in Chloroquine resistant areas she came up with Malarone by Glaxo-Wellcome. It sounded good, a kind of second generation cocktail of the active ingredient of paludrine and a Chloroquine derivative.

So off I went to the pharmacist with a prescription for Malarone for eight weeks. The pharmacist kindly told me that they cost the equivalent of UKL58.00 for twelve tablets. I required 56 for a daily dose, Mrs. moosp the same totalling UKL540. Gulp. I declined that drug and will use an alternative.

Is that the real cost of Malarone world wide or was I nearly the victim of a local stitch up by the importers of Glaxo-Wellcome drugs? And although Malarone is a relatively new drug, does anybody know of a generic copy that is being made anywhere?
(Which of course I would not import into my own country oh good heavens no...)

QDMQDMQDM
10th Sep 2002, 20:30
Is that the real cost of Malarone world wide or was I nearly the victim of a local stitch up by the importers of Glaxo-Wellcome drugs? And although Malarone is a relatively new drug, does anybody know of a generic copy that is being made anywhere?

It's relatively new and it costs about £600m to bring a drug to market so they have to make their money back somehow. It's always worth bargaining with pharmacists, though.

Almost certainly, it is available as a pirate generic copy in India or SE Asia. The fancy ingredient is atovaquone. The bog standard, cheap ingredient is proguanil.

QDM

411A
11th Sep 2002, 04:59
Very pricy in the USA so I found out a short time ago, locally available in Thailand so i'm told...will find out shortly.

moosp
14th Sep 2002, 04:20
Thanks the both of you. I'm off to BKK tonight so will have a look around. But I am aware that you can buy some fine chalk and glue tablets there purporting to be any drug you choose.

Bird Strike
14th Sep 2002, 08:50
It might not help you, but Pharmacy Direct, a 'proper' (read not dodgy one) online pharmacy in Australia has Malarone for $66.65 (approx. GBP 24) for 12. You will need a proper doctor's prescription but the one from overseas may well be OK. Thier site is http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au, and the page with Malarone is http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/PD_ProductOrderingInformation.asp?PID=7067