PDA

View Full Version : SkyDiving Requirements

questil
10th Sep 2002, 09:17
Would anybody know the requirements to drop persons (with or without parachutes) out of an aircraft over a public gathering assuming liability insurance cover is met.

If a professional group approach a company with a charter AOC for an air drop over a field day are there any CASA complications that need to be met.
Is it a private operation?
Will a charter AOC cover it or does it need to be specified as Airwork?
Ops manual requirements?

The aircraft is certified door off operations C210, i would assume gear down 1 stage flap to drop 3 bods
Any other tips????
thanks in advance

Moby58
10th Sep 2002, 13:15
I would suggest that the chance of getting CASA approval or public liability insurance for dropping someone without a parachute out over a public gathering would be about the same as getting money out of Toomey to pay the ex-Ansett staff :D ;) :rolleyes:

Islander Jock
10th Sep 2002, 14:24
questil,

unless the charter organisation has PJE in it's ops manual which I would very much doubt as the APF have fought long and hard to keep it as pvt ops, then the simplest way would be to hire the aircraft to the parachutists for the jump.

Some safeguards you can ask if you are unsure about their being 100% kosher:

1. Who is the Licensed Display Organiser (LDO)? A must for any public display and any jump in a city is a display
2. Are all members current members with the APF? Their membership carries the required public liability if they damage property or take out a spectator.
3. Do they have the correct display licenses to conduct the jump over the "public gathering"

Get the LDO to provide written verification of all the above.

Provided the aircraft has door off approval then some more things need to be considered:

1. Is it insured for PJE ops?
2. Are approved single point restraints fitted? This is a mandatory requirement for both CASA and the APF and are required to be worn during takeoff, landing and during flight below 1,000' AGL.
3. What is the max door off speed? I'm not sure if a door leading edge deflector is mandatory for door of ops on a 210 but it makes a fair bit of difference.

As for the drop, I only did about 10 or so drops in a 210 but used to climb at 90kts and only lean after full thottle height (usually 4-5,000)and then only to 150deg rich of peak.
Try and get to height with a bit of time to spare to allow the temps to stabilise before the high speed descent.
Once at height, close the cowl flaps and don't let the speed get away from you. Bring the power gently back to maintain level at about 90 kts. On jump run lower the gear and put out about 15deg flaps. You will obviously need to put some more pwr back on to hold altitude and A/S. Keep your eye on the heading bug and take corrections from the jumpmaster. When the meatbombs call "power off", throttle to idle and bring speed back to 75kts. The 210 will start to lose altitude fairly quickly at this power and speed but the experienced meatbombs won't be mucking about too long on the exit.

If it is only 3 skydivers then the weight out one side won't be a problem (unlike 5 out the side of 182) Your main concern should be to hold the aircraft heading and airspeed until they are gone.

In CTA you are going to to be fairly busy on the radio getting clearances to enter, climb, drop and descend. Also you might also have to consider DZ comms at the same time. The meatbombs might also want to drop a wind drift indicator which will require flying over the DZ at about 2500AGL then circling and watching as it decends. Sometimes after the skydivers exit, ATC might want you to descend over the DZ and notify them when all jumpers are on the ground so keep your eyes outside when getting below 5,000AGL as there is always a chance of someone opening high.

Once they are clear put the gear and flaps away and set up for a descent at about 140 kts (or max as per the door off approval in the flight manual). Any faster may cause problems with shock cooling.

Read the AIP on the requirements for PJE ops. Also try and get a hold of the APF pilot manual. It's not a bad document with some good tips.

Some more experienced jump pilots might like to offer their advice/experience.

PJE was some of the best flying I have done.

If it is for a city demo, rest assured they are being paid big bucks for it. I wouldn't be getting the plane out of the hangar for less than $50.00.