PDA

View Full Version : training in Europe

pmobrien
9th Sep 2002, 19:10
I'm a 23 y/o Yank, with EU citizenship, a college degree (liberal arts) who would like nothing more in the world than to go to flight school in Europe and then work for a European carrier. My question is 1) am I crazy to train in Europe when I could do it more cheapily in the US?; and 2) would I ever EVER have a shot getting a job with a major carrier in Europe as an American? Should I just target the US market? I do speak French, Italian and German. I would love to hear from anyone who flys for a non-home country carrier. Thanks.

P.S. I want to go to Europe b/c I have family there (IRE) and because I think it would be a more interesting place to fly. Plus, the women are more intelligent.

VORTIME
9th Sep 2002, 21:25
The employment opportunities in Ireland are limited. The main careers are Aer Lingus (not recruiting - for a long time!), Aer Arran (local commuter) and Ryanair (picking market for type rated 737 jocks). It might be a better option to join a US flag carrier and offer to be based here (why anyone would want to be is another matter), Delta, Contential, Air Canada and so on all fly in here.

Don't come here and hope to be a F.I. the conditions are awful (leaking portacabins with clueless people in them). Sorry if I sound negative, I suppose there's good/bad everywhere. I'd recommend you build some jet time at least in the US before you come over, I know Aer Lingus/Ryanair will have their pick of an overcrowded market for the next 5 years.

pmobrien
12th Sep 2002, 23:48
thanks for responding. interesting stuff.