PDA

View Full Version : Int or Mod?

Flapless20
9th Sep 2002, 18:39
Hello,

Well Im sure you've all heard this question a million times but here goes again (I need some confidence ;) ), Im 19 and I have @ 70 - 80 hours SPL. Now should I

a) Go to Bae and do an intergrated course and get no credit for my hours (as I havn't got my PPL yet) or

b) Go to the USA and finish my PPL (is this possible?), build 150 hours, sign up for Bristol D/L and so on.?

If I did choose route 'a' how much per month would it cost to keep up my ratings when I come home? Also if it is possible to go to the USA would I have to re-sit my PPL exams (they expire at the end of Oct.)?

Thanks to all who have read,

FL20.

FlyingForFun
10th Sep 2002, 08:39
A couple of thoughts, mainly re. option b, although I can't answer all of your questions...

Completing your PPL in the USA is possible. If you've alerady started in the UK, the best thing to do is to go onto the CAA's website and find the list of approved flying schools. There are a couple of UK CAA-approved schools in the USA, who will be able to get you a UK JAR license, without you loosing credit for any hours you've done in the UK (I gather, from your post, that you've already started your PPL over here, but not finished it yet?)

As for ground-school, if you can afford to study full-time on a residential course, do it. Bristol distance learning is superb - I'm half way through the course myself. It's ideal for anyone who needs to study in their spare time while working full-time (or part-time) in another job. But it's very hard work, and if you can afford to go somewhere like Oxford and study full time, you'll make things much easier for yourself. You can do these full-time groundschool courses without having to sign up to the full integrated ATPL(f) course.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Send Clowns
10th Sep 2002, 18:59
I have yet to be told any advantage of a JAA integrated course for a self-sponsored student, though I have asked here. As far as I can see it is a course set up for sponsorship. Modular is about £10,000 cheaper (reasonably, they are not onto a scam - integrated is more difficult and expensive to run) and you come out with more hours - realistic minimum 225 as opposed to 160 for integrated.

Note that although I work for a modular groundschool, since you seem to have chosen Bristol (a good choice for distance learning) then I am not giving a 'marketing' response thinking we may get your business!

Best of luck whichever route you choose.

boeingbus2002
11th Sep 2002, 22:11
Although im doing modular - (Cost savings)
Ive seen an application form for BA Citiexpress:

They specifically ask for Integrated students only
Modular are only considered with 1000+ hrs

There are so many other for and againsts i wont list them here! :rolleyes:

Send Clowns
12th Sep 2002, 09:46
That is wrong, BoeingBus.

I had an application form from Citiexpress, which they would not send me until they had checked I had been on an approved course. All JAA courses are approved. The form itself also specified either an approved course or a CAA non-approved modular course and 1000 hours.

The split between modular and integrated is a memory of CAA times, when modular courses were not approved: both now have the same status, one of the few good things to come out of JAA.

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Sep 2002, 09:46
The BACE Integrated or Modular +1000hrs advert only came about as a last minute change of heart. It doesn't make any sense and is a throwback to the old 700hrs CPL route.

As a general rule your employability will not vary greatly depending on whether you did Modular or Integrated training.

One thing is for sure - nobody in an airline conducting an interview would be able to tell the difference between the sequencing of entries that would indicate whether you had done an integrated course or a modular course at one school.

You would have to have a working knowledge of the mildly different syllabi to do this. And they don't.

There is nothing to show how you did your groundschool - merely a pass certificate from the CAA. There is nothing other than your logbook to show under which organisational structure you conducted your flying training.

Its actually pointless to try to distinguish between the two routes and I can't imagine why for the life of me BACE chose to do so.

Just tick the box and go to the interview would be an option some people might choose.