PDA

View Full Version : Actually Working??

ravenx
9th Sep 2002, 16:11
I originally posted this on the medical & health forum, but no response - so I thought I would try here instead.

now I know there have been loads and loads of posts re eyesight. I also know that there has been loads and loads of talk regarding laser surgery. So, before anyone thinks I am asking the usual - Im not. I've already had the surgery (had I know I could get an initial with -3 and then renwals down to -5 I wouldn 't have bothered but thats by the by).

Having had the surgery I now have an unrestricted JAA Class 1 but that's not the end of it - in the same that having a frozen JAA ATPL and all the shiny ratings isn't the end of the job search.

Is there anyone actually out there who has suceeded in finding paid employment as a commercial pilot having had laser surgery. I get the impression that some airlines can be a little picky about this.

My other question is - can they be picky. Is this not a form of discrimination. If you have a class 1 then you have a class 1 and as there is no evidence to suggest that people who have undergone laser surgery are any more likely to have after effects, no more in fact than people are likely to develop glaucoma, detached retina, cateracts etc etc. can they really refuse to employ you on those grounds ??

Your thoughts please

soloboy
10th Sep 2002, 12:30
As far as I am aware (keeping in mind I am a mere SPL, minion if you will) a class 1 med cert should be the end of it. Any airline who disqualifies you on medical grounds aint following the JAA med rules. A class 1 is a class 1. You satisfy all the med requirements stated by our Highest Power, the JAA. I've get a -3 and passed my eye exam no probs.

I think airlines are much stricter when they are taking you on as a cadet. But when it comes as to applying, they (I say this lightly, and have nothing to back it up!) cannot discriminate against you.

....but keep in mind also. I think that you cannot fly for 12 months after such an eye operation...I'm sure I have seen that somewhere....just check that one out.

Hope my vague info was useful...

Solo

MJR
10th Sep 2002, 13:14
Some airlines actually have more stringent medical requirements than the JAR class one, BA I think is one of them and I believe JMC may be another. So a class one isn't the be all and end all you may think.

Sorry I can't offer any more positive advice.

Cheers

MJR