PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Tests

Russ11
24th Jan 2001, 13:38
Hey everyone!!

Has anyone passed aptitude tests either for commercial or military? If so can you please visit http://www.raf-careers.com (Click on 'Missions')

There are 5 different tests. I want to be a pilot eventually and I can pass these easily online (all but 1!)

Can someone try these and compare them to the real thing. I would appreciate this very much.

scroggs
24th Jan 2001, 15:10
Russell,
the point of aptitude tests is to find out whether you have the basic motor abilities that are required in flying. If you do, you will pass. If you don't, you will fail. Simple. Yes, there are borderline cases and, in general, they will not be invited to continue - would you want to be flown by a pilot with borderline aptitude?
I appreciate that you'd like to get as much knowledge as you can before you present yourself for assessment, but this particular aspect you are unlikely to be able to do amything about. So don't worry about it!
I'm sure, having said that, that many here will give you lots of pointers to the RAF's crrent recruitment process; for myself, as one who used to be actively involved in that process, I'd say get yourself as knowledgable as you can about the RAF, current affairs (and have an opinion on what's going on...), the latest defence programmes and their states of play (JSF and Nimrod 2000 are two examples), that sort of thing. Decide how you would explain what contribution you could make to the Service - why should they employ you as opposed to someone else? Have a feel for what the moral arguments facing a military service are - should we be in Kosovo, for instance, what are the arguments for and against?
There's a lot to consider, and no-one will be expecting you to be able to take CAS's job the day after tomorrow, but you need to be positive, aware, and enthusiastic. Let the aptitude bit take care of itself!

Perfect PFL
24th Jan 2001, 15:35
If you're going for the aptitude tests at Cranwell, don't worry, There's nothing in them to catch you out, and you get plenty of practice at each one before you do it.
I've done the aptitudes for RAF, BA, BM etc. and never had a problem with any of them, so as scroggs has said, if you have the aptitude, you have the aptitude. Therefore if you can pass one set of tests, theoretically you can pass them all.
A couple of things you could practice for all aptitude tests are you mental arithmetic, and your short term memory (number recall skills), as I believe these are two areas a lot of people have trouble with.
Good luck with whatever you are going for. :)