PDA

View Full Version : Birdsville 2002

puff
9th Sep 2002, 12:51
So who ended up going and what did everyone think? The PC12 leaving at about 1am on Sat morning sounded very nice from next to the runway..did one of the guys in the boxing tent come off worse for wear or something?

Great time, definately recommend it!

Paul Alfred
10th Sep 2002, 05:09
Always love it! A fantastic weekend. I was lucky enough to take some great pax - unfortunately one got very sick on the way home between BDV and LEC but she managed to make it back to AD after an injection at the local hospital.

My other pilot was a champion bloke and we ended up camping with two of the funniest guys you would ever meet in your life who happened to be the drivers of the Citation parked near the Roulettes - speaking of which did an awesome aerobatic display but a pitiful display of alchol consumption Saturday night with a lot of vomit action....

The boxing tent was fantastic with some of the locals getting in and having ago....Only a few managed to actually hit the other boxers but it was very entertaining all the same.

I didnt have much luck with the betting this year but at least the weather was so good that we could see the horses on the track and werent looking through dust filled eyes.

To see 250 planes lined up in there rows is an awsome sight. This is a magic weekend and always a great flying experience. If you havent flown there, you have to do it next year...you'll have an absolute ball. The people at BDV go out of their way to help you with anything.

Cheers

PA:) :) ;)

VRB03KT CAVOK
12th Sep 2002, 02:23
I heard that the RFDS were taking away one of the challengers from the boxing tent with a badly broken nose...

Big thanks to the Cessna pilot who departed on Saturday at first light, I think you managed to wake up a couple thousand people...

sky below
13th Sep 2002, 22:31
Hi All,
Heard that the RFDS took a shelia to Adelaide due to burns from falling in the bore drain (about 80 deg. cel.) The bloke from the boxing tent just went to the hospital at the other end of the town. The weekend was great and coming from the city getting that many blokes in one spot with a lot of beer/rum/bourbon and not having one punch is a credit to everyone. Or maybe the punch ups were left for Brophy's tent!

puff
14th Sep 2002, 00:51
Agreed sky below I was amazed how friendly and well behaved everyone was, I ended up chatting to about 3-4 people i'd never met in my life, everyone was just out there to have a great time...

As a matter of interest to those who left on sunday, (and no I wasn't in the cessna that left at first light sat CAVOK) :) did anyone do full runups with all the lose gravel around? Because I heard a few people came back with a fair bit of prop damage

sky below
15th Sep 2002, 08:04
I wasn't the Cessna Capt. either!!
A few people seemed to do pretty high powered runups on the cross dirt runway before taxiing down to the end of the other one for takeoff.
As for stone damage there must have been some going on what people were doing but no one i have talked to since has any!
Anyone else see the bloke in the main street on sat arvo arm restling any comers??