PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Airport Strike

one2one
2nd Mar 2002, 13:08
Check this website out.

<a href="http://www.airportstrike.esmartweb.com" target="_blank">www.airportstrike.esmartweb.com</a>

Just see what Manchester Airport think of their loyal workforce!

BUT BE QUICK BEFORE THE AIRPORT TRY TO CLOSE IT DOWN!

[ 02 March 2002: Message edited by: one2one ]</p>

secureair747
2nd Mar 2002, 13:23
MANCHESTER AIRPORT, WHAT NEXT!!!!

Manchester Airport accused of paying temps more than security staff

Manchester Airport is accused of hiring temporary summer workers on higher wages than striking security staff.

Unions say their members are facing a flat rate hourly pay of just £5.24, including shift allowance.

The TGWU says temporary baggage handlers, now being recruited by Ringway Handling Services, will get £6.06 an hour.

"It is absolutely outrageous to offer less money to security staff than baggage handlers," union representative Brian Bowan told Manchester Online.

"Both sets of employees work hard, but security has always been a very important and potentially dangerous job. For the airport to treat security staff like this is unbelievable."

David Teale, the airport's managing director, says: "It is not a relevant argument to draw comparisons between the wages offered to airport hands and security staff.

"The company has to pay the market rate and these differ according to job types. The salaries, terms and conditions for security staff in Manchester Airport Aviation Services are better than those offered by other security companies in the aviation market."

Security workers are angry at plans to cut 150 jobs, while increasing working hours and cutting pay and sick benefits. Members of the TGWU are taking part in a strike today as part of the dispute.

An airport spokeswoman says today's strike has had no impact on services.

copyright ANNOVA.COM

airbuddie
2nd Mar 2002, 16:14
Found this in the Directors local paper

It's all safe and secure at the airport - Honest!. . . .For various reasons I cross the Atlantic at least four times a year. Since Sept 11 security at US airports has been stepped up considerably and sub contractors replaced with in-house. .Security officers.. .The passenger numbers may have fallen but airport security has not. I never see any signs of dissent everyone understands the need to have increased monitoring of passengers and luggage, only an idiot would argue otherwise. . .So why would Manchester Airport Authority pick this particular time to start laying off security staff and slashing wages?. .When I travel I want to know that security officers are selected for their knowledge and experience and not because they will work cheap. I don't want to be questioned by security staff more at home asking: "Do you want fries with that?" You don't suppose that Manchester Airport just want to cut costs to protect their profits do you? No, surely not. Do you honestly think that they would gamble with the safety of passengers to protect their earnings? Well you do surprise me.. .Although I must say it is a mite strange that they chose the precise time when the entire civilised world is on permanent terrorist alert to antagonise their security staff. . .And if it's all the same to them I would like to know the credentials of the security officer at the gate when some bearded maniac from Luton decides to sit next to me and blow up his Reeboks.. .I don't want any management claptrap after the event explaining to my widow that it was 'unfortunately unavoidable'. What is avoidable is a mean, penny pinching dispute with those very guys I'm relying on to ensure my safety. And for God's sake will someone shoot one of those idiotic reporters who think that it's really clever to sneak fake guns and explosives through airport security. Maybe then the sensation seeking tabloid press will be happy that we have adequate airport policing. I know I will. I'll be ecstatic.. .Have you ever noticed that any serious problem that occurs with Airlines and Airports is always the fault of someone earning peanuts?. .Why are security staff being laid off now? The directors and those on six figure salaries never seem to know anything about it.. .When the BA 'dirty tricks' campaign against Virgin was uncovered it was all blamed on some clerk at Heathrow earning a jot above the minimum wage. Isn't that amazing?. .If a' lowly clerk could access Virgin's data base, find the names and addresses of all the first class passengers and organise a direct sales campaign, all without his directors knowing then maybe he was a tad under valued? This guy was a genius, ..or a scapegoat.. .So spare us the 'it wasn't our fault routine'. Now is not the time for Manchester Airport to be monkeying around with security.. .There's a world wide terrorist crisis in case they haven't noticed. It's all hands to the pump.. .If they must cut costs why not start in the boardroom. I think I'll still be able to sleep at night knowing that Airport director's have had a pay cut. I doubt that Mrs B is going to be worrying every time I have to fly if bonus payouts are curtailed.. .What we, the fair paying passengers, would like to see is some of those huge profits piled up year after year being invested in improved and increased airport security.. .Failing that I would urge all passengers to fly from an airport that has more regard for it's security staff and passengers than the money grabbing directors of Manchester Airport.

Wilmslow Express 21 Feb 2002 Vic Barlow email [email protected]

[ 02 March 2002: Message edited by: airbuddie ]</p>

crab
2nd Mar 2002, 17:08
Airbuddie,. .If you think American security is any better ,I suggest you look at some of the other threads on security including A new low for US screeners!

[ 02 March 2002: Message edited by: Tyrannosaurus ]</p>