PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Tasman

Bevan666
9th Sep 2002, 01:07
Hi All

I have this idea to fly myself to NZ and back over the duutch, via YLHI and YSNF in a light twin of some description (probably a BE95) or a single (BE36). The said twin has ~6 hour endurance at 160 knots, and the bonanza will do 5 hours at 155knots.

Apart from the various operational issues, are there any reglatory ones I should know about? I recently heard of someone being refused permission to ferry a 206 from NZ to Australia from a government agency (in either NZ or Aus).

This has me a tad confused, as I can find no published regulations refusing permission to carry out this sort of flight.

If anyone can shed some more light on this, please do.

Bevan..

Mainframe
9th Sep 2002, 13:04
Bevan666 You normally require a flight permit for the destination country (NZ in this case, unless CER rules have waived it). You can either have a commercial handling agent organise this for you, or do it yourself.

Try contacting the NZ embassy/Consular service nearest you.

Australia does not have a problem with S/E private Oceanic flights but I think NZ still considers it an unnatural act, as they do with regard to S/E night VFR.

You will also need to familiarise yourself with all of the Customs and Immigration protocols, as well as Quarantine requirements.

Go to your nearest international airport and have a chat with the Customs people there and they will be very helpful. Don't go to Customs anywhere else, they'll normally be just as confused as you and will probably be out of their knowledge area.

You'll have a few forms to fill out, get them to show you how they want them completed. ( Gen Dec's, Articles in Possession, Ship's stores, Passenger details, Inwards and outwards Cargo etc)

Don't just fly into another country's airspace without a flight permit/clearance pre-arranged, you are virtually committing an offence if you do.