PDA

View Full Version : Gibbes Sepik Airways & Bobby Gibbes

Torres
8th Sep 2002, 22:39
I am working on an interesting little project and need some assistance. Would any PPRuNers who may have worked for GSA or knew Bobby in his PNG days, please contact me.

Thanks

Bob Fulton

OzExpat
10th Sep 2002, 13:34
Best of luck to ya Torres mate. That's a most worthy little project! :)

the wizard of auz
10th Sep 2002, 14:09
Torres, check ya P messages.

Torres
15th Oct 2002, 04:16
If there's any Prooners old enough to have been in PNG between 1948 and 1960 and knew of Bobby Gibbes, Gibbes Sepik Airways or Bobbies pubs, could they please contact me by email. I need a little more information from that era for the project.

Thanks Bob Fulton

TwoDogs
17th Oct 2002, 04:48
Don't forget, he also came back to fly briefly for Talair in the early seventies....

18-Wheeler
17th Oct 2002, 06:05
Try my Dad, Bill Sherwood snr, he may remember Bobby - [email protected] .
* edit - Just checked with him, and yes, he does know Bobby "quite well".

Torres
21st Oct 2002, 19:23
18-Wheeler. Well, I'll be dammed! Your old man flew DH84's and possibly C170's for TAL around 1957 - 1959 from memory? I have a feeling I made contact with him around 20 odd years ago, whilst researching the history of TAL, which subsequently became the nucleus of Jim Sinclair's "Balus" trilogy.

Memory is vague, but don't I also have a vague recollection you were also with TAL? I'll email your father. Thanks.

TwoDogs. Yes, that was February 1976 and finished with the prang of C402 VH-GKF at Brugam in the West Sepik. Were you there at that time?

18-Wheeler
21st Oct 2002, 23:47
Yes, that's him and he makes a guest appearance in at least the first two of the three Balus books.
I was in PNG for a short time, flying a Citation 2, but with MBA.

grusome
31st Oct 2002, 23:18
Torres,
I intend writing a short memoir of the late Capt Aub Koch (whose connection with TPNG was before and during WWII), some time next year after AirShow 2003. I would be very grateful for any references to Aub that you might come across in your research. I will reciprocate when I get the chance to read the material I now have.
Regards
Gru

Torres
1st Nov 2002, 00:55
Gru. My research that eventually developed into the "Balus" trilogy, commenced with the formation of Territory Airlines in 1952.

Have you read "Wing's of Gold", Jim Sinclair's pre war history of PNG aviation?

If you contact me by email I can give you Jim's contact details. He may have some information to assist you. I am also in contact with a small handful of PNG pilots (including Bobby Gibbes) from the late 40's and early 50's who may be able to assist.

I know this extract from Bobby's autobiography is a bit long........ But it is a good measure of the man and pilot and makes very interesting reading:

This incident happened on 21 December 1942, 150 miles south of Cirte, while Bobby Gibbes was leading six Kittyhawks on a reconnaissance over Hun, an Italian aerodrome.

Sergeant "Stuka" Bee's aircraft was set on fire by the aerodrome defence gunfire and at the same time, Pilot Officer Rex Bayley called up to say that his motor had been hit and that he was carrying out a forced landing. As Sergeant Bee had a lot of speed from his dive and was flaming badly, I advised him to climb up and bail out instead of trying to belly land his aircraft at high speed. He mightn't have heard me, or perhaps was badly wounded or even dead, as his speed had not decreased when he hit the ground. His aircraft rolled up into a ball, an inferno of flames. He didn't have a chance.

I circled and watched the Italians, showing great courage, send out an ambulance in an attempt to save him, but the outcome was obvious. It was later confirmed that he had been killed.

In the meantime, Rex Bayley crash landed his aircraft nearly a mile from the aerodrome, and on coming to a stop, called up on his radio to say that he was O.K. His aircraft did not burn. I asked him what the area was like for a landing to pick him up, and ordered the other three aircraft to keep me covered and to stop any ground forces coming out after him. He told me that the area was impossible, and asked me to leave him, but I flew down to look for myself. I found a suitable area about 3 miles further out and advised Bailey that I was landing, and to get weaving out to me.

I was nervous about this landing, in case shrapnel might have damaged my tyres, as on my first run through the aerodrome, my initial burst set an aircraft on fire. I had then flown across the aerodrome and fired from low level and at close range at a Savola 79. It must have been loaded with ammunition as it blew up, hurling debris 500 feet into the air. I was too close to it to do anything about avoiding the blast and flew straight through the centre of the explosion at nought feet. On passing through, my aircraft dropped its nose, despite pulling my stick back, and for a terrifying moment, I thought that my tail plane had been blown off. On clearing the concussion area, I regained control, missing the ground by a matter of only a few feet. Quite a number of small holes had been punched right through my wings from below, but my aircraft appeared to be quite serviceable.

I touched down rather carefully in order to check that my tyres had not been punctured, and then taxied by a devious route for about a mile or more until I was stopped from getting closer to Bailey by a deep wadi. Realizing that I would have a long wait, and being in a state of sheer funk, I proceeded to take off my belly tank to lighten the aircraft. The weight of the partially full tank created great difficulty, and I needed all my strength in pulling it from below the aircraft and dragging it clear. I was not sure that I would be able to find my way back to the area where I had landed, so I stepped out the maximum run into wind from my present position. In all, I had just 300 yards before the ground dipped away into a wadi. I tied my handkerchief onto a small camel's thorn bush to mark the point of aim, and the limit of my available take off-run, and then returned to my aircraft, CV-V, and waited.

My aircraft continued to circle overhead, carrying out an occasional dive towards the town in order to discourage any attempt to pick us up. After what seemed like an age, sitting within gun range of Hun, Bayley at last appeared, puffing, and sweating profusely. He still managed a smile and a greeting.

I tossed away my parachute and Bayley climbed into the cockpit. I climbed in after him and using him as my seat, I proceeded to start my motor. It was with great relief that we heard the engine fire, and opening my throttle beyond all normal limits, I stood on the brakes until I had obtained full power, and then released them, and, as we surged forward, I extended a little flap.

My handkerchief rushed up at an alarming rate, and we had not reached flying speed as we passed over it and down the slope of the wadi. Hauling the stick back a small fraction, I managed to ease the aircraft into the air, but we hit the other side of the wadi with a terrific thud. We were flung back into the air, still not really flying, and to my horror, I saw my port wheel rolling back below the trailing edge of the wing, in the dust stream. The next ridge loomed up and it looked as if it was to be curtains for us, as I could never clear it. I deliberately dropped my starboard wing to take the bounce on my remaining wheel, and eased the stick back just enough to avoid flicking. To my great relief we cleared the ridge and were flying.

Retracting my undercart and the small amount of take off flap, we climbed up. I was shaking like a leaf and tried to talk to Bayley but noise would not permit. The remaining three aircraft formed up alongside me and we hared for home, praying the while that we would not be intercepted by enemy fighters, who should by now, have been alerted. Luck remained with us, and we didn't see any enemy aircraft.

On nearing Marble Arch, I asked Squadron Leader Watt to fly beneath my aircraft to confirm that I had really lost a wheel and had not imagined it. He confirmed that my wheel had gone, but that the starboard wheel and undercart appeared to be intact. I then had to make up my mind as to whether to carry out a belly landing, thus damaging my aircraft further, or to try to attempt a one wheel landing, which I thought I could do. We were at the time very short of aircraft and every machine counted.

The latter, of course, could be dangerous, so before making a final decision, I wrote a message on my map asking Bayley if he minded if I carried out a one wheel landing. He read my message and nodded his agreement.

Calling up our ground control, I asked them to have an ambulance standing by, and told them that I intended coming in cross wind with my port wing up wind. Control queried my decision but accepted it.

I made a landing on my starboard wheel, keeping my wing up with aileron and, as I lost speed, I turned the aircraft slowly to the left throwing the weight out. When I neared a complete wing stall, I kicked on hard port rudder and the aircraft turned further to port. Luck was with me and the aircraft remained balanced until it lost almost all speed. The port oleo leg suddenly touched the ground, and the machine completed a ground loop. The port flap was slightly damaged as was the wingtip. The propeller and the rest of the aircraft sustained no further damage. The port undercart was changed, the flap repaired, the holes patched up and the aircraft was flying again on the 27th of the month, only six days after Hun.

Every enemy aircraft on Hun was either destroyed or damaged. Six aircraft and one glider were burnt, and five other aircraft were badly damaged. The bag included two JU52s, two Savola 795, one JU88, one Messerschmitt 110, one CR42, one ME126 and two gliders. I was later to be awarded the DSO and this operation was mentioned as having a bearing on the award.

Jamair
3rd Dec 2002, 09:37
Torres, owyergoinoright?

I would be interested in reading and/or acquiring copies of the 'Balus' books you mention - any clues where I could get them?

Cheers, J.

Torres
5th Dec 2002, 07:24
Not too sure Mate. Give me a call at my office (I think you have the number) and I'll see what I can do.

Torres
26th Jan 2004, 14:54
In July last year I posted the above in the hope of getting testimonials for Bobby Gibbes. I can now advise it was in an attempt to get Bobby another "Gong"!

In the Australia Day Honours List 2004 Wing Commander Robert Henry GIBBES, DSO DFC* (Retired), Collaroy, NSW, was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the General Division for service to aviation and to tourism, particularly in Papua New Guinea.

A number of PPRuNers assisted in providing information, particularly Sharpie.

Bobby's daughter sent me this message:

"As you can see my dream came true!! If it is the last thing I can do for my Father I think I have done it. I cannot begin to tell you how much I love him and how proud that he is MY Dad. I am still in Sydney and hope like hell he will be well enough to enjoy HIS special day. I love you guys to death and miss you like crazy."

Can you please pass on my good news to the rest of your family and friends. Much love and Big hugs to you all, Jules."

To all those who assisted in getting Bobby the Gong he rightfully deserved, my sincere thanks! :ok:

QSK?
27th Jan 2004, 07:37
Torres

I didn't have any professional involvement with BG or GSA except as a young kid at Goroka Airport in 1959/60 watching with wide-eyed awe the takeoffs and landings of the (very noisy) Norsemans of GSA.

Jamai

The Balus Books can be obtained through Bill and Patricia McGrath's mailorder bookshop located at http://www.pacificbookhouse.com.au

18-Wheeler

My parents lived next door to your father (I think he was still single then) when he was the pilot for TAA's single engined Otter based at Goroka. Although he flew for TAA, he was actually living at TAL's single men's quarters. Check your P-mail.

Torres
20th May 2004, 03:31
I've re opened this thread because................

Today my old mate Bobby GIBBES, DSO DFC* is being invested with the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the General Division for service to aviation and to tourism, particularly in Papua New Guinea.

The investiture is at Government House, Sydney this afternoon.

Well done old mate. You deserve that bloody gong - I hope it goes some way to replace the VC you earned, deserved and were recommended for and never got 60 years ago. :ok:

There could be a few sore heads in Collaroy tomorrow morning!

Bob Fulton

SeldomFixit
20th May 2004, 06:34
Mates - it's about being an ozzie. Well done Torres and of course, your mate.

Author: Duncan Butler, 2/12th Field Ambulance

Published in Patsy Adam-Smith's book: "Prisoners of War", 1992

MATES

I've travelled down some lonely roads

Both crooked tracks and straight,

An' I've learned life's noblest creed

Summed up in one word … "Mate"

I'm thinking back across the years,

(a thing I do of late)

An' this word sticks between me ears

You've got to have a "Mate".

Someone who'll take you as you are