PDA

View Full Version : low time pilot seeking advice

looser
8th Sep 2002, 22:01
Hello everybody,
I've been thinking for the last 6 months of going to Africa to look for a job,I haven't been sure what to do but now I think I made up my mind.From reading the rumours I realized that I wouldn't have many chances in Europe with only 750 total and 50 multi ,in Africa I might be more lucky plus I want to live all these wonderful experiences that I heard other people lived there.
Would someone who has been there please advice me where to start from?In which country would I have more chances and what kind of planes I could be flying?
All comments and suggestions are wellcome.

Herc Jerk
10th Sep 2002, 10:43
Search the archives of this forum, pinpoint places and ask questions that show a bit of research. You'll be more likely to elicit responses this way.

Best of Luck,

HJ

looser
12th Sep 2002, 19:46
I tried to do a search on pilot jobs in Africa and all I realized is that nobody wants to share any information,most of what came out was just gossip.A few countries that seem to be promising are Botsuana,Tanzania and Kenya but I think it's a risk what some people say 'go there and show yourself',there must be a way of contacting some companies before going there,I guess I have to start from their embassies.
Thanks for your reply Herc Jerk

flying masai
12th Sep 2002, 21:56
I have been working in Tanzania for 6 years and have been A Chief pilot as well.
No one will hire you from oversea, they want to see your face and your motivation as it is expensive to hire an expat.
Take a plane ticket to Dar Es Salaam and enough money to survive for a month. You should be able to find a job if you have over a 1000 hours. If not you have tried and saw a nice country.

Remenber you will need to convert your licence.

Good luck.

AMEX
12th Sep 2002, 23:20
For a low time pilot there is very little chance to get hired by just sending a CV. Actually this not only true in Africa but even here in the UK people who land jobs on smallish aircrafts, they are usually guys who have been showing their faces and motivation at every opportunity.

As for Bots and places like that you will have to take the risk (as you put it). Indeed if you don't you will join the millions who talked about it but never did it. If you do turn up then you will be up against a much reduced competition and in only a matter of time (can't tell you how long, you understand of course that it varies), you too should be flying commercially (I.e Dosh!!).

Ringing Embassies is a start but not sure it will be very useful.
Most countries will tell you that jobs are to go to nationals first.
If you apply for a visa and mention your intention then it is very likely that you will find your application rejected.

Also should you find a job from home, most employers will ask you to turn up as a tourist as applying for work permit, residency and licences is much easier once in the country.

My gut feeling is that amongts all the low timers who got jobs in Africa, a good 90% found an opportunity once on the spot rather than from home. If you want do it, I think you will have to go for it but quite rightly so, keep on digging infos as it isn't necessarily step to make but a certainly very rewarding one once you got what you wanted.

Good luck

ZAZOO
13th Sep 2002, 01:19
alors Amex ca fait long temps !!! how are you, and whats up.

Last time I saw u was at the gatbash 2000, remember.

Regards

Zazoo

AMEX
13th Sep 2002, 09:57
Remembering ??? Surely you meant to ask if I still suffer from our encounter :D. I certainly do ;)
Email me with your whereabouts, I have moved so perhaps it will be easier to meet up for a soft drink :cool:

ZAZOO
13th Sep 2002, 13:21
Are u back in Africa, last I heard you flying Caravans in Europe yep!!!

Zazoo

looser
13th Sep 2002, 15:53
Thanks for your info guys.Do you think 700 total and 50 hrs multi is too low?

AMEX
13th Sep 2002, 17:19
At the time (96), I got a job with 500 TT, 50 Multi so.....

Really the hardest thing is to make that step as even with much less time in your log book people have been able to get jobs.

Once you have made your move the next test on your character will be how persitant you are.
Now you will hear about people getting jobs within days of their arrival and others within months which, I think, is down to timing and a not so negligeable factor, Luck !

Now even if we are talking months about getting that elusive job, isn't it much better than sitting home, watching depressing news about the industry and hoping to get a call from one of the hundred companies you have just sent your latest, most up to date and prettiest CV ???

Actually looser my post isn't only directed at you because I have no doubt there are a lots of people wondering about doing what you are now think of doing.
As a matter of fact, I actually regret it took me so long to get off my bum before buying that ticket and giving Africa a good go.
Really, I have been dumb (some will argue that I still am ;)).

...If not you have tried and saw a nice country.
Like the man said.

Clogmaster
14th Sep 2002, 12:19
looser

In this industry, more than in any other, who you know is more important than what you know.
Find out where the companies are based, find out the names of the chief pilots, and go out to meet them in person. Be prepared to hang around for a while (could be 1 week could be 6 months). Sooner or later a job comes up and you will get it because you happen to be the last person that bugged the chief pilot that morning! Your chances of getting a job offer without showing your face are pretty much zero.

With your hours you should be able to find something, although you might not have much choice in what you get! I know guys who have gone straight onto turbine aircraft with 200 hours total time and I also know of guys with 1000s of hours who battle to find a job...... It is all about being in the right place at the right time.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose!

To start with, consider Botswana, Maun. Lot of operators there serve the tourist industry in the Okavango Delta. Mack Air, Swamp Air, Sefofane, Moremi, to name but a few. Also speak to Ross Air, Balmoral and King Air Services in South Africa. They operate contracts in various African countries.

Good luck!
CM

PS why don't you change your name from looser to winner :D

looser
15th Sep 2002, 14:12
Thanks for your replies guys,now I'm persuaded that I don't get a job by sitting on the computer,I have to go down there and try my luck.I'm gonna wait another 2-3 months to save some money and then I'm off to Botswana,I think I'll start from there.Anybody knows what is the cheapest way to travel from country to country in Africa?(e.g from Botswana to S.Africa or from Botswana to Tanzania...)
Clogmaster I'm gonna change my name from 'looser' to 'winner' if I go down there and be lucky,not before then because I like that name,I think it's got a nice sense of humour.

JoeCo
15th Sep 2002, 15:15
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I do not want to post misleading information for looser, but from what I have found, Kenya sounds like a good place to start. Seems like most of the a/c in country are either two crew (good for a co-pilot position) or in a category that a low timer would be qualified.

As for a source of information, you should really try and get your hands on a copy of JP Airline-Fleets. The best $100 I ever spend. Has tons of info on tons of companies. Trust me, if you have never seen one, take my word for it, buy it, you can thank me later.

Hope it helps!! All the best.

P.S Do you have any float experience?

JoeCo
16th Sep 2002, 13:48
Hey looser,

I found the link to where I bought my copy of JP Fleets, so here it is.

http://www.buchair.ch/

Doudou
16th Sep 2002, 16:14
Hi JoeCo,
You said "Have you any float experience?"
Is it usefull to have some to find a job in Africa, I'm an exception cause I will have spent less money than expected once I finish my CPL-IR-multi. So I will have a little money left, and I was wondering what to do with : Hour building in a multi, aerobatic course (can be fun), seaplane rating...
fly safe

looser
16th Sep 2002, 22:37
Joe Co,thanks for your interest on this,no,I don't have any float experience,is it really necessary?
Would the companies there give me some training if I was hired in order to get a float rating?

JoeCo
17th Sep 2002, 10:51
As for float operators in Africa, I'm sure there must be a few, but which ones, I have no idea. Actually, if anyone does know about float operators in Africa, I would like to know!!

Is it necessary, probably not as there must be far more wheeled a/c in Africa than float equiped a/c's. The only reason I asked was that I would have had a suggestion or two. They weren't in Africa, but, maybe you folks would have been interested?? Who knows!?? Usually folks looking for there first jobs don't really care where it is.

looser
17th Sep 2002, 12:16
Joe Co if you have any suggestions I'd be very interested to know,I don't really care where it is as long as ithe temperature is not under 30 Celcious below zero.

MM MLE
17th Sep 2002, 13:27
I'm not trying to mislead you, but what I've found out about jobs in africa as a low time pilot is not to go to Kenya (got a referee down there who spent about 6 months there before he got himself a job. It looks like everybody is born there allong with a CPL and 6000000 hrs TT. As some pilots mentioned, in the pprune-archives, it looks better to go to Botswana...
I'm planning a trip myself in a few months, was going to fly to Afrique about a year ago but some financial probs made me to stay here a bit longer.

Cheers, MM

JOECO you've got my attentino here: Floatrated stuff, I've got a float rating... Always looking for some excitement!!!!!! MM

JoeCo
18th Sep 2002, 09:55
loser: HAHAHAHA -30c, AND YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED???? HAHAHA Well there go all my ideas!!;) AHH just kidding!! Seriously though, this might not be a new idea, but it's one just the same, what about the Maldives?? When I was there, their where about 25% Ausy lads driving. However one does need to at least have a float rating.

My other idea was a company over in Fiji. Now i can't seem to come up with the damb name of the company, sorry about that, but they had a mixed bag of ships, some floated and others rolled, but that might be another place to have a look see at.

As for Kenya, well, like i said, it was just a though. However there was one chap that I was talking to that flew right seat in a Twin Otter for an outfit that had about 6 TO's and some C-402's if i recall correctly. Again, can't think of the name of the company but it was something like....Air Safaris???

Sorry about the lack of company names, maybe I had too many coffees this morn, overloaded the mind, but if I track them down I'll post them for ya.

Have a good one!!

looser
18th Sep 2002, 15:08
Joe co thanks for the info,I'll try to do a search on the internet for the names of the companies.
I read on another post that Maun is expensive and there is no transportation.What do you think about that?Is Kenya cheaper compared to Botswana?
Anybody who has lived in any of these countries is wellcome to pass a comment.

AMEX
18th Sep 2002, 18:25
Botswana is not expensive. That's going there which is because if you can find charter deals to Kenya, you won't find one to Bots.
Try to get the best deal you can to JNB or Windoek and make a plan from there.
No Transportation in Botswana, What do you mean ?
Sorry but donkey rides are found in Blackpool too.

Once in Bots, there is no licence cost that is not supported by your employer, unlike Kenya where most of it from residency to licence isssue will cost you a fair bit.

JoeCo
22nd Sep 2002, 11:01
Hey looser, so, any news to report???

Found the name of that company over in Fiji, it's called Turtle Airways. There is also another one called Pacific Island Airways bvut they are not as big, they only have a Beaver and an Otter on floats.

As for that compnay in Africa, found it aswell. African Air Safaris was thge one I was thinking about, and yes, they do have 4 TO's, a C-404 and a C-206. Almost sounds perfect for a guy with your time!! The thing is that this company is based in Nairobi, Kenya so if what was posted about Kenya is true, you'll have to determine yourself.

Of course if you are thinking Kenya, there is also AirKenya, Trackmark, Aircraft Leasing Service, Aim-Air, Aviation Assistance International, and a host of others. That should make for a good search for now!!:D Sorry, no websites, you'll have to try and track those down yourself.

Asta,

Joe

OH YA, if you haven't seen this site, check it out.

http://www.airliners.net

Take a look, you'll understand why I thought it might be useful.

looser
22nd Sep 2002, 17:52
Joe Co,thanks for your information.I haven't got any news yet because I haven't contacted any company yet.Right now I'm saving money to go to Africa,I'm not sure yet which country I'll visit first and when,probably it depends on the replies that I'll get before going down there and the cost of living.
I'm still thinking about this ,I'll let you know

Gravox
1st Oct 2002, 05:17
FLYING MASAI (or anyone else), You mentioned Dar Es Salam would be a good place to try on a 1000 hours. I have thought about coming to Africa many times, but as usual finding the $$$ to do so is the difficult part. Now that the TT is just over 1000hours, and 250 ME, I'm in a better position to look for work, but unfortunatley doesn't guarentee anything. You also mentioned to bring enough money to survive for a week. How much is enough? Is it possible to find work in Africa without a working visa, is there such a thing? What type of Aircraft are flown over there?

flying masai
1st Oct 2002, 09:06
I arrived in Tanzanie in 1995, with just over 1000 USD in my pocket, no contact, my total time was 1000 hours with 25 hours on twin. My first flight (with licence+visa valid) was at the beginning of october.
The company that I worked for start to pay me end of august, helped a lot at the time.
I did meet few who did the same. Just go!

You will fly mainly, C206/C402/C404/C208... Little chance to fly big twin turbine or jets in this part of the world.

Good luck, do not waist time!

AeroBoero
11th Oct 2002, 15:02
flying masai;

That USD 1000,00 lasted how long (you said you were paid since august - but whe did ya arrive?).

So thats again the question:

How much do one expect spend a month or two down there?

flying masai
11th Oct 2002, 15:47
Lasted a month with some left, I had to pay for the convertion exams, can't remenber how much, that was a long time ago.

I stayed in Dar Es Salaam, did not need to travel. Hotel (very basic) are cheap. I had to stay dry as well for a month (no beer no wine, rough time!)
I was lucky I guess, so were all the guy who flew there.
Just be professional and respect local people and pilots who are as good as you.
The civil aviation are doing pretty good and some of the staff are very competent despite the little funds they get.

Good luck! Bahati njema!

AeroBoero
11th Oct 2002, 17:38
Thanks flying masai.