PDA

View Full Version : Search me?

sally at pprune
8th Sep 2002, 20:52
What's happened to the search function on PPRuNe? It was really useful - I hope it's only temporarilly dissapeared.

Nightrider
8th Sep 2002, 21:24
?????? it is still there....:confused: :confused:

ORAC
8th Sep 2002, 21:24
Well I've still got it. It's tucked up in the right corner of my screen:

PPRuNe Forums
user cp |
register |
member list |
faq | search |
forum Home |
Logout

Tinker
8th Sep 2002, 22:29
I've lost it too, from the top right, but it is still available in the 'drop down window' labled 'hop to' on the bottom right hand side.

sally at pprune
9th Sep 2002, 08:13
Hi Tinker - found it thanks.

ORAC, we seem to be looking at different PPRuNes! All those functions have dissapeared from my screen. :(

Ausatco
9th Sep 2002, 14:13
Hey, Sal, are you using IE6? I've heard that IE6 has a bug or two re re-sizing screens to fit your display.

On my 800 X 600 display in IE6 the forums fit perfectly, but like you I cannot see what Orac sees. However, there is a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. When I use that the missing stuff comes into view.

Some web pages are so affected, others not - which confirms to me the reported bug in IE6.

As a test, I just changed my display to 1024 x 768 and I can see all. The horizontal scroll bar is not displayed. Wish I could leave it like this, but the screen is too small and my eyes too old ...

(edited to add the last para.)

Cheers

AA

sally at pprune
9th Sep 2002, 19:51
Ahha

AA, you solved the problem for me. Someone changed the layout at the weekend, methinks. I hadn't noticed that I now need to scroll right to see the whole width. I'm using IE5 but 800x600. I tried 1024 x 768 and, like you fond that it all fitted on. My eyes are young but I cannot work on that resolution either.

Was it a change for the better Crashdive/WDTBD?

What_does_this_button_do?
9th Sep 2002, 20:45
We are always looking at how we can make the site look better Sally and I will pass this thread onto the Capt. so he can note your comments.

Thanks to Ausatco for being the super slueth!

Tinker
10th Sep 2002, 03:49
Ya sneaky buzzards... I thought i'd lost it all too. I have changed my settings to 1024x768 and whilst it all fits in now. even for my relatively young eyes I find it uncomfortable.
No one else seems to have mentioned the problem so does that mean that Sally,Ausatco and myself are in the minority using an 800x600 setting?

BOAC
10th Sep 2002, 07:42
Don't forget that WHATEVER your screen display settings, IE6 has 'VIEW'/TEXT SIZE' settings so you can still read your favourite aviation forums!

Nightrider
10th Sep 2002, 08:50
sorry Tinker, I use magnifying glasses (special design to read PPRuNe) on my 14" screen with 1024x768 res...
:D :D

well, on my 21" screen I am not even with 1024 anymore...

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
10th Sep 2002, 09:37
...or you can always use Ctrl and the mouse wheel to change text size............;)

outofsynch
10th Sep 2002, 09:48
Ive got IE6 and 800x600 and pprune fits perfect whatever font size I use. 1024x768 is only readable on 17+" screens i reckon!

Ausatco
10th Sep 2002, 13:53
Yep, Pprune's discussions fit perfect on my 800x600 display in IE6.0, EXCEPT that the little menu at the top right:-

user cp | register | member list | faq | search | forum Home | Logout

is off-screen and we poor sods who've been whinging and whining (well, not really, just pointing out observations :D) have to do a horizontal scroll to get 'em.

(One could discuss horizontal scrolls in another forum ... :D)

Anyway, am downloading IE6 SP1 as I write. (1.5 hrs at nominal 56k - actually only 48k :mad: ) Will advise if this makes any difference to IE6's behaviour re this problem.

Dr B H, yes can change the text size at any resolution, but not every web page responds and in any case on my Jurassic little system (14" monitor) icons and menu bars and other Windows bits at 1024 x 768 are tiny.

BFN

AA

----------------------

Tinker - Used to dream of shoes that don't let rain in. Me, down here I need hair that doesn't let sun in!

Ausatco
10th Sep 2002, 15:33
Just installed IE6 SP1. The missing menu is still off to the side at 800x600 res, so no fix there. It does seem a bit faster, though.

Cheers

AA