PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways rosters

goatgirl
8th Sep 2002, 19:33
Further to the debate about the legality of QR crew flying with no competency cards for A330, a more serious issue for any would-be CAA inspectors.

QR, as you all know, is suffering a huge staff shortage (no prizes for guessing why!), and for the past 3 months, crew have been working rosters which are, at best, fatiguing, and, quite possibly illegal in some cases.

It seems some crew are operating LHR - DOH night flight, landing at 0600 local, then operating CMB turnaround flight the same night, 2145 local report - 1030 local landing, all this despite a very clear memo in flight deck notices admitting that CMB turnaround would only be operated by crew who had finished their previous duty before 2230 the previous night, and who would have a rostered day off after CMB. Neither is the case. 'Someone' on high must be aware of the unacceptable nature of this situation, as a memo was issued, rewarding crew who did the flight with £50 blood money, I mean bonus.

This months rosters apparently conform to the new CAA ruling that Cabin Crew can work 14 days on with no days off, then group their days off in that month. Firstly, is this ruling for real?? What does anyone else know about this?? Secondly, is this just an extension of QR rostering policy over the last few months which has seen crew's layover days downroute renamed 'off' days, in effect stealing cabin crew off days in base. Many crew have only had 2 or 3 rostered days off in base for the last 3 months.

Is the renaming of DCAM (Qatar's air safety authority) to CAA just a way to pass off stupid new rules with an air of stolen authority from the 'real' CAA we all know and love??

Many crew at QR are increasingly worried about the situation at QR. Those who choose to stay despite the bullying tactics of the management are now seriously considering their position, as they believe there is a serious safety issue going on in QR. The simple fact is that many of the crew are just too tired to perform their SEP duties correctly should the situation arise.

An alaming percentage of the crew are off sick fatigued. Others have not dared to utter the word 'fatigue', but the case is the same. All are subjected to QR's infamous sick policy - all crew members must report to the QR doctor each + every day they are sick, then bring his sick note to the office personally. AAB regularly phones crew at home early mornings and late nights to check they are at home, and suitably incapaitated. All crew on sick can be, and are, breathalised at any moment.

It has been said before, and will be said again, but here goes any way - QR will lose the only decent crew it still has left if it does not get it's act together. Aiming to be a major carrier, overflowing with investment, and still, somehow managing to attract some good crew; all this will be for nothing if it cannot retain crew, and good crew at that. The senior crew find themselves in a constant onboard training role as on average 50% of any crew have been flying 4 months or less. The way AAB treats his crew is now a side issue. Safety is now the primary concern for the crew at QR.

WILL IT TAKE A BURNING PLANE FOR AAB TO REALISE HE'S PUSHING HIS CREW TOO FAR???

Let's hope not, for their sake.

A300Man
8th Sep 2002, 22:31
Hi GoatGirl,

I agree with you that this is a concern. I brought up this same subject a few months back and I am shocked to hear that it is still going on.

Funnily enough, I was recently on a QR002 from LHR to DOH and the flew the same evening from DOH to CMB!!!! I had the same CSD on both flights (or maybe it was the CS, can't remember), but the same crew did operate both flights.

In the eyes of the "law", for this girl to have done these flights within that time frame is totally legal. She has been given the necessary minimum rest required.

However, it depends on what flights were operated prior to the LHR sectors and after the CMB sectors. Only by knowing this could any illegal practice be established. If she was given 7 day off either side of that 4 day flying block (i know she wasn't), then it would be totally legal.

However, regardless, what is happing is at least very unreasonable.

I am a huge fan of QR (as a passenger), but I have detected recently that the seniors on board are only fulfilling a training and haphazard coaching role at best.

This means that the newer crew coming on line are not being given the proper benefit of a wealth of experience that exists within the company, but are only gathering a fraction of what is needed to develop them - and hence the company - into a professionally run operation.

This situation is neither the fault of the seniors or the juniors, but rather points to a far too rapid expansion........

Lastly, I certainly hope that the penultimate sentence of your post never comes to pass. No-one anywhere deserves to learn lessons through such events.

By the way, I assume you work for QR and that you are cabin crew? I have tried to send you a P.M., but your set up doesn't allow.

If you are with QR - in any capacity - I wish you the very, very best in your career.

kenoco
16th Sep 2002, 01:06
sorry to hear that u still work for QatarAirways,still some nice people there putting up with the illegal antics of Albaker.Full details of my time there are already in the post to CAA and several wellknown magazines.Keep yer chin up and I'll do my best.