View Full Version : Loss of Flying Status Insurance

Titan Locked
8th Sep 2002, 18:39
Just been informed that with effect from 7 Oct my current policy that covers me with a one-off payment should I lose my flying medical cat (military) [Icarus Loss of Flying Status] is being ditched by the new underwriters and will therefore not be renewed. They have suggested Payguard (through a company called Willis Limited) but I'm keen to check the market out further. Anybody (particularly mil) got any pointers / good company rec's?

:)

TL

[Posted in Medical & Health as well]

Background Noise
8th Sep 2002, 19:04
I had Icarus a long time ago. I didn't know that was still going as I was transferred to Wings by Willis Coroon (is that the same as your Willis?).

I got ill enough to potentailly lose my flying pay and the policy would have paid out had it been permanent. The company seemed helpful but once I was upgraded back to flying they said that they were no longer doing the insurance and wouldn't be renewing. Funnily enough I then found it pretty difficult to start a new policy with my new found medical history. I was always a bit suspicious about whether they stopped the business in general or just for me because of the risk.

Not sure thats all going to help you much but do try to find out what would happen in a similar case, ie you get better - will they keep you on.

Tiger Tim
8th Sep 2002, 19:26
Willis do still insure for Flying Pay Loss. I have a policy with them and recently checked the details with them with no mention of cancellation of cover.

I do know that if you are taking out life or critical illness cover with some companies (eg for mortgage amount) then some of them refuse to cover at the moment if you are heading anywhere near sausage side. Skandia (apparently) break that mould though.

Hope that helps.

Charlie Luncher
9th Sep 2002, 15:11
I have been with Willis payguard for some time
you buy the insurance in £10k lots, premiums are scaled by age
never made a claim so can't really comment on how good they would be in a crisis.
I have also backed it up with BUPA having experience of primary care Air Force style.:mad:
Death in service is still the best kept insurance secret as I used mine against the mortgage saving a bomb.
Just unfortunate you have to go to extremes to make a claim:)