PDA

View Full Version : Shut down on the cross-strip at JFK in a B747 last Tuesday afternoon!

Flight Detent
8th Sep 2002, 17:54
Did anybody notice me, with all engines shut-down, in a B747 Classic, on the cross-strip at JFK, last Tuesday?
All white, with a green v/stab.
What a story, got the airways clearance OK prior to push, started and taxiied towards the edge of the ramp area.
When we changed to 'ground', to get taxi clearance to the departure runway, we were told that our flight plan had been cleared off the computer, ie, no departure!

The flight was planned for about 10 hours, so we had a 'little' fuel to spare, but not enough to sit around for 'some time' to wait for a refile.
So, with the OK from 'ground', we just shut-down, and waited for our agent to come thru, of course, he never did, so the boys in JFK ATC did a great job in 'constructing' a replacement from details we supplied re the original plan.

When we restarted and taxiied to the departure runway, we didn't have to much fuel to play with, and were wanting to get airborne asap, and after only a relatively short wait, being about 3rd in line, lined up for take-off, and then noticed about 13 airplanes lined up on the taxi-way behind us, for departure!!
If we had been involved in that lot, we would have most certainly been forced to return to the gate for more fuel, with all the hassles that go with that, not the least of which is flight time limits!

A big THANK YOU to the JFK ATC guys for a job well done!!

We're gonna try it all again this Tuesday, just to see if we can get it right!

Cheers

411A
8th Sep 2002, 21:43
Most would have returned to the gate instead of negotiating with the controller for a refile...IF everyone did this the whole system would grind to a halt, pronto.
Think you NEED to have a serious talk with your company about the proper way to operate...although sometimes those in the office have their minds made up, never mind the facts.:rolleyes:

CaptainProp
8th Sep 2002, 22:19
411A - on the other hand everyones flightplan doesn't get "lost"...so what's the problem here :rolleyes: ??? This just showes that the system was flexible and a problem was solved in a smooth manner, right? :)

BRISTOLRE
9th Sep 2002, 08:31
Good to hear things worked out safely. I read your post with interest. So, its flying for Virgin is it?
Keep seeing this one at LHR parked by T3, mmmmm.
How long is it likely to be staying?
Tailnumber?

:)

radartostby
9th Sep 2002, 18:34
Listen "411A"

You might want to consider more carefully what you say, PRIOR to you saying it, what a d....head!
You think that the crew have ANY input into the activities of their Flt.Ops. department...... most of this is done by people who can't even work out how to adjust their chair correctly!!

411A
9th Sep 2002, 20:42
...adjust their chair correctly...

Exactly, radartostby, but OTOH most of the companies where I have worked have at least had an ops department that would actually listen.
Why not go and see them and state your case...after all there just might be someone there who will actually pay attention.

Better than doing "nothing", don't you think?:rolleyes:

GlueBall
9th Sep 2002, 21:17
Just about everywhere in the USA one gets ATC clearance before pushback, from Clearance Delivery if not ACARS equipped.

B767300ER
12th Sep 2002, 19:25
Flight Detent:

I was IN that line awaiting take-off, so I'll take this opportunity to say---"You're Most Welcome" for cutting the line!!! (We were only flying 5 hours to LAX)

We certainly understood, and were happy to oblige. What was your callsign that day?

I was in a B-727 a few years ago, and we were 'ground-stopped' to Detroit, due to weather and traffic saturation. JFK Ground Control parked us ON Runway 4L-22R, abeam taxiway "Foxtrot", for over an hour! (Of course, the runway was closed).

Cheers,

AA B-767 Pilot

canadair
13th Sep 2002, 12:43
Oi 411,
looks like you missed a chance here mate.

white 74 with a green tail? could that be AAI? TF-...

and if so, well then I imagine you believe that it had nothing to do with a clearance, that was just a smokescreen, must have been a consequense of the 98 maintenence issue in MSE huh?

Ya that must be it, JFK got ahold of that info, and decided to hold the A/C while they looked into it themselves, ya that must! be it.
Those ATC chaps can be quite thorough.:)

Flight Detent
13th Sep 2002, 14:43
Hi B767300ER,
VERY sorry about that, I didn't realize we cut in on anybody, we just joined the line as is the normal thing, as instructed!

We were 'WT851' bound for Lagos, via Dakar, about 10 hours worth.

Cheers

ps: 'Glueball' - we DID get an ATC clearance prior to pushback, that's what made the whole thing so curious!
Not only in the USA, but most other places, as well!

B767300ER
13th Sep 2002, 15:25
That's quite allright, Flight Detent.

Next time you're in the USA, however, I'll have two pints of bitter on YOUR tab!!!

Lagos? Jeez...I hope you did'nt have to layover there.

Cheers

Flight Detent
15th Sep 2002, 17:14
Hi again, B767300ER,
What do you mean 'layover' in Lagos, I'm temp. BASED there!!!

We have an armed guard drive with us to/from the airport, about 45 mins worth, and, believe me, those automatic weapons are loaded!! (already one incident, couple of weeks ago, shots fired!)

Very good for us, we actually spend very little time there, only about 5 or 6 days a month.
Now you can appreciate why we like to get the New York run as much as possible, we layover 3 or 4 days, depending.
And a similar layover time on another service to the middle east.
We stay in the best hotel in town, which is about a two star anywhere else!!
Cheers

B767300ER
15th Sep 2002, 20:39
Temp based in Lagos???? Ugh. I'll bet instead of the garbage man taking your garbage, they deliver.Not exactly a garden spot. Do they even serve schooners???

4-day layovers in NYC must be senior. The other run from Lagos must be Dubai, or Jeddah during Hajj season, right?

Cheers, Mate.