PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place for watches?

autoflight
23rd Jul 2002, 00:26
I had my Breitling Aerospace battery changed at a non-Breitling facility. Erratic operation followed, that will need Breitling attention. Breitling later advised against battery replacement other than by them. Is there any reason to think that there is a built in bug that requires a special procedure to re-start the watch after battery change? If that is the case, it would be a clever way to get expensive repeat business every 2 years for a long time.

Stampe
23rd Jul 2002, 08:20
Well I,ve owned my Aerospace for some eight years at least, had the battery changed twice at my local qualty family jewellers at £5 each time absolutely fine no problems though I wouldn,t dream of swimming with a watch of this quality and value on.Its a fabulous watch really well thought out for its aviation role and still looks nearly new with no scratches on its face in spite of a hard life.Definitely one of lifes better purchases especially when you consider my wife purchased a dress for a similar sum to the watch and has worn it about 4 times.!!!:rolleyes:

Cornish Jack
23rd Jul 2002, 20:35
I now do watch battery changes on a fairly frequent, regular basis. The variety of watch and battery types is legion and some are out-and-out pigs to deal with. I have no experience of the Breitling as such but after a couple of horror stories with Omegas and other up-market varieties, we now send them to our workshop to be done (at greater cost) rather than in the shop. One make, in particular, requires two internal contacts to be shorted out after battery change to re-start the mechanism!! :eek:
We are just starting to get supplies of one of the best bits of horological engineering I have come across - ceramic case and bracelet, solar powered with six months power reserve, and radio-controlled - accurate to half a second in a million years - £500 GBP a copy and I WANT ONE. Sold our first two within days of them arriving. Drool, drool, drool..... :D

autoflight
24th Jul 2002, 02:44
Slowly we may be progressing to the answer.

rupetime
24th Jul 2002, 16:02
Perhaps the answer is not to cut corners.... take your Breitling to a recognised dealer - ive only had mine 6 months but rest assured its going to go straight back to where i got it when the battery dies.

There are many websites with dealer information - any good search engine will help

rt

Helios
24th Jul 2002, 19:35
A real Breitling should not have a battery...

arcniz
24th Jul 2002, 21:18
Mine seems to have a generator. You turn this little knob on the side and it just runs and runs.

Alberts Growbag
26th Jul 2002, 22:48
Having been the not so proud owner of a Breitling Navitimer for the last ten years, I can safely say that this is the ultimate example of a company that trades on it's name rather than it's quality.

Breitling UK will service a watch for £250+ and qoute you a 3 months turn around time, that's right, spend £2000 on a Navitimer only to lose it for 3 months a year!! Get a life!

I have spent the entire purchase price of mine over the years in servicing, and never did it keep better than +-10seconds a day. I finally took it to a local high quality jewellers last winter and paid £200 for a service that came back in 3 weeks. The watch has never kept such good time and is now +-1" a day.

I had reason to deal with Breitling in Switzerland and never met a more 'up itself' brand of arrogance before. Mind you, nothing new for the 'Schweizer Deutche'!

Forget the b**ls**t. Buy a Japanese watch with lots of gizmo's and remember that a pilot with a big watch is usually regarded as having a correspondingly small 'joystick', not to mention an equivalent IQ.

wub
27th Jul 2002, 16:19
I was annoyed to find that my Aerospace would be at the Breitling repair depot for 4 weeks just to have the battery changed - at a cost of £35. The reason for the cost seems to be that the seals are also changed with the battery and the watch is pressure tested. It did come back in a rather nice soft case which I actually use to keep my shades in. :cool

I love the watch except that the tabs on the bezel catch in the stitching of one's trouser pockets and pull threads when said hands are removed. I wouldn't change it for anything and I certainly wouldn't take it to an ordinary watch repair shop.

innuendo
27th Jul 2002, 23:49
Wub, like you I found that the "bugs" on the bezel snagged clothing (ruined a golf shirt) so I had a local jeweller grind the points off them. problem solved and it still looks fine. They are now flush with the inner raised ring of the bezel.

Bright-Ling
28th Jul 2002, 16:49
Helios - you are right!!

I inadvertantly left the screw in bit out after changing the date a few months back - and then went and sat in a sauna - DOH!

Despite trying to dry out the interior in the (airing cupboard!) it had to go back for a good service.

Total time = 10 weeks
Cost = £190

It came back absolutely gleaming and dry as a whistle inside.

When I sell it I can now say FSH in the advert!

Send Clowns
28th Jul 2002, 21:25
Albert's Growbag

My Casio keeps better time than that - guaranteed to 20 seconds a month!

Anyway, if you want to buy it I have a fake Swiss watch (not of any particular brand, the whole brand naming is fake :D ) that keeps very good time, is waterproof (as long as you screw in the adjustment bezel, Bright!) and seems bizarrely to have a genuine crystal face. I always scratch watches really badly, this one is clear after much use. Styling is typical chunky three-face with diver's rotating bezel. Cost me half what a similar quality Japanese watch would, less than a tenth a real Swis watch would, and who knows the difference? :p However, my Casio is currently more practical, so the the "Swiss" watch is up for offer!

canberra
29th Jul 2002, 18:32
i bought a breitling for a tenner in the night market in penang, it keeps reasonable time, however the avia i bought for twenty quid in argos only gained a second a week. it was a great watch until i dropped a box of maps on it!

msmorley
29th Jul 2002, 22:11
Rambling off topic for a second:

We are just starting to get supplies of one of the best bits of horological engineering I have come across - ceramic case and bracelet, solar powered with six months power reserve, and radio-controlled - accurate to half a second in a million years - £500 GBP a copy and I WANT ONE. Sold our first two within days of them arriving. Drool, drool, drool...

I've got one of these (thanks to the wife)... they're very good - the time-zone changing is particularly useful. Downside is getting service for the damn things. Mine failed after 14 months and took nine weeks and £180 to put right :( Make sure you find a reliable dealer...

m.

p.s. Having interjected in this thread... what do these Breitling watches do? other than tell the time? ;)

Bright-Ling
29th Jul 2002, 22:21
Make you **** scared when in dodgy areas!!

Oh....and they look good!

B-L

Sick Squid
29th Jul 2002, 23:51
Bought mine in Hong Kong 1992 for £600 in a fit of pique having been denied a holiday due lack of time remaining on passport...

Haven't seriously looked back since.. however, local jewellers in Aberdeen replaced battery in 1996, and moisture entered.. led to a flaw appearing on the lower LCD display. Now I can live with that, so no big deal..

But servicing.. I just wait till one of my mates is heading to Hong Kong, and get them to do it there.. somewhere on the island, not sure quite where. Costs about £50 and right up to Breitling standards, including replacing the seals.. plus done whilst you wait. The LCD will take about £200 to replace mind you.. if I want to do it.

Cost of course includes about an extra £20 in beer for the mate afterwards....

£6

wub
30th Jul 2002, 08:34
I really wouldn't trust a £1,400 watch to a Hong Kong repairman, what come back would you have if he broke it?

For those 'Breitling-ites' out there, have a look at http://www.breitling.com/eng/aeronautics/screen/index.html

THe time displayed comes from your computer's internal clock and so if it loses the precious 2 or 3 seconds a day, blame your PC:)

bodstrup
30th Jul 2002, 11:48
I do not use Breitling, mainly Tag Heuer, but it's probably the same: Have the watch pressure tested once a year at a qualified repair center.

I do believe that Tag changes the seal at the back whenever they change battery and do the test.

Regards
Michael

Sick Squid
30th Jul 2002, 13:10
It's the Breitling Service Centre there I use, Wub.. agree, wouldn't entrust it elsewhere...

£6

rupetime
30th Jul 2002, 14:13
Does anyone have the problem that the face gets greasy finger marks on it from being touched - these clear after a bit of a polish but i end up cleaning the screen daily ????

rt

wub
30th Jul 2002, 15:03
£6

I'm off to Honkers in a couple of weeks, any idea where the service centre is?

rt

It's the anti glare coating that causes the fingermarks to show up, not much you can do. I clean mine, which has a titanium strap, with on old soft toothbrush and mild hand soap, brings it up a treat :)

Chocks Wahay
30th Jul 2002, 17:06
rupetime Same problem here. Still looks immaculate after cleaning it (usually with shirt tail or similar)

wub Good tip. Mine has the same bracelet. I've had mine cleaned F.O.C. at the dealers. Mind you, the last time I was there I ended up buying a watch for my wife, so maybe it would be cheaper to go somewhere else :D

Bally Heck
31st Jul 2002, 01:16
Nearly bought a Breitling once. Bought a new car instead. And although I can't wear the car on my wrist, the clock in the car is more accurate.

jumbojohn
5th Aug 2002, 15:18
I have a Breitling Repitition Minutes (Aerospace) that has seved me well for about 5 years now with only one change of battery, you know when the battery gets low ´cos the LCD flashes. The battery was replaced while I waited at a Breitling dealer on Orchard road, Singapore, very professional looking setup!

Couple of little thing the chaps at Breitling could improve on in my opinion:

The sticky up bits on the bezel do catch on clothing (as already mentioned)

The alarm is not loud enough (for my deaf ears!)

When the crown is pressed in it bleeps various tones that represent the time (not sure why but it´s a bit annoying and coud do with a facility to turn it off)

At 6 O clock the hands do not quite line up!

It´s still a lovely piece of engineering but I would love to upgrade to the slightly larger model, however I have just bought a new house and can´t afford it!

Chocks Wahay
5th Aug 2002, 17:32
jumbojohn The bleeping thing is annoying isn't it? I'd happily turn it off, or trade it for a (far more useful IMHO) backlight.

Setting the alarm is a pain in the backside as well.

Gripes notwithstanding, it's still a top bit of kit though.

woftam
5th Aug 2002, 23:09
Great watch, but think VERY carefully before you buy one if you live in Australia!
The service (read lack of!) in Australia is ATROCIOUS!!!!!!
I had one and had to have it serviced.
There is only ONE authorised service centre in Australia and it is in Sydney and has NO personal contact with customers.
You have to drop your watch off at an authorised dealer and they send the watch to the "service" centre and it is returned (eventually!) to this dealer.
My watch needed minor repair work and the Australian "service" centre could not handle the workload.
It was sent back to Switzerland and I didn't see it for over THREE MONTHS!!
To start with it took over a week to get from the dealer to the "service" centre (just across town!) and it went steadily downhill from there.
When I eventually did get the watch back the crown was very stiff and difficult to pull out, however I wasn't prepared to wait another three months (and spend another few hundred dollars) to have it rectified.
Great shame because it was a great watch let down by it's service network.:mad:

innuendo
5th Aug 2002, 23:15
When the crown is pressed in it bleeps various tones that represent the time (not sure why but it´s a bit annoying and coud do with a facility to turn it off)

Believe that feature is for the visually impaired.

jumbojohn
6th Aug 2002, 17:49
Acually bleeping to indicate the time for people visually impaired is a great idea however, an aviation watch for the visually impared?

islandhopper
10th Aug 2002, 09:46
Brietling service centre Hong Kong--

Shun Tak Center , Just past Central, 9th floor rm911 - Mr Chu
battery change HK200 (pressure tested)service aroundHk750

Howski
21st Aug 2002, 23:23
Hello

Ive just bought myself a shiny new Breitling Chronomat Windrider from a dealer in Dubai, it has gold bits at the cardinal points on the bezel and the three dials on the face are also gold rimmed, the strap is alligator skin and has the snap on type clasp, my question is how much is this watch in your part of the world as I always feel Im having me pants pulled down over the price of anything here, im a happier man now knowing that it has no battery to replace, then again I have several friends over here who have no complaints about the local service centre.

Thanks

Howski

411A
22nd Aug 2002, 00:56
Breitling..expensive to buy, even more expensive to maintain....just kidding:rolleyes:
Bought a Breitling old navitimer from FRA duty-free a few years ago, cheaper than DXB, but then it was the last one available, out of production so i'm told.
Suggestion: purchase an extra strap if you have the chance, a wise investment to keep on hand, sometimes hard to get from some locations.

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Aug 2002, 01:02
Good call, old-timer. I did the same (buy a spare strap) at the suggestion of the salesman.

Dan Winterland
24th Aug 2002, 15:37
Yaqubi stores, Bahrain. (Authirised dealer). Batt change, new seals, crown lube, pressure test - 10 Dinars (£17 ish).

autoflight
24th Aug 2002, 23:41
Thanks folks. Lots of good observations. I'm still trying to find out if the aerospace needs any special input following battery change to keep it running OK. Any Breitling or ex Breitling service professional prepared to blow the whistle on this one?

BenThere
25th Aug 2002, 03:44
I have to recommend the Rolex GMT II. Mechanical, clean it every three years, lasts forever (12 years on mine), you're always proud of it, and you look at the GPS to see what time it really is.

Stampe
27th Aug 2002, 13:27
Obviously not in light of my two battery changes at the local non Breitling jewellers still working fine!!.

Legalapproach
27th Aug 2002, 20:55
Stop watch on my Breitling started playing up so had it serviced and off it went for the best part of 2 1/2 months which was just about long enough to earn the money to pay the bill.

Although I am very fond of the B I bought a Timex Triathlon for 13 quid as a stand in whilst it was away and it does everything the Breitling does without the worry of wearing it whilst swimming, sailing, skydiving etc.

Rotorbike
28th Aug 2002, 06:23
Own a Breitling Emergency, after two and a half years battery went flat. Down to the dealers and it was sent away for two/three weeks as it's the only watch that they can't do inhouse. Watch returned batteries renewed, fully cleaned and pressure tested FREE OF CHARGE.

You really can't beat that for service!!!

One happy customer.... :D :D

woftam
28th Aug 2002, 11:49
Rotorbike,
Lucky you don't live in Australia!
See my previous post.
Cheers
:mad:

BEagle
28th Aug 2002, 22:39
There used to be a Breitling dealer in the local town; however they are no longer appointed dealers as I found out when I went there to drop off my Aerospace for a battery and seal change. So I rang Breitling UK to ask what to do, commenting "I could always pop in to a dealer in Bahrein next time I'm there to have it done while I wait!".

They patiently explained that there is no such thing as an authorised 'while-you-wait' battery change for a Breitling! The reason is that it must go through a power soak as part of the test - and that takes a few days. So all you cheapskates who think that you're being clever - beware! You are being conned, you could be risking damage to your very expensive timepiece and it will have no recognised warranty! I then took my watch to Breitling UK, they did the approved battery change and test and also replaced the Z-spring in the bracelet and tightened up the rotating bezel slightly for no additional charge. The watch was returned to me within the quoted time by courier - excellent service indeed!

Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish. You get what you pay for - and few Breitling dealers are authorised to change batteries or to conduct other repairs!

Mine is a titanium and titanium nitride ('gold') highlighted pre-'repetiton minutes' model. Still as good as the day I bought it 7 years ago and I still think that it's the most stylish version of the Aerospace which they've ever produced. As for cleaning it - I just give it a scrub when I'm doing the washing up!

Kerosene Kraut
29th Aug 2002, 08:47
The funny thing about aviation watches today is that nobody seems to care about the quality of the mechanical movement anymore. That very much used to be the only determinating factor for accuracy and prestige. Remember the REAL "Old Navitimer" or the OLD Space-Speedmasters or the famous Glashütte aviator's watches and such.
Today's mechanical watches very often use the very same Valjoux-7750 (and derivatives) standard movement. Not bad but nothing special. The brand is just a cover around the very same content. Many watch companies are therefore being called "Completteur" (using ready made parts only and just selling some expensive image). Maybe the Rhodina/Tutima/Sinn and such watches using the Lemania 5100 movement and the better USSR-Poljots using the original old swiss tools can be considered todays closest thing to "real" aviation watches. Whatever that is.;)

near enuf is good enuf
30th Aug 2002, 05:30
Basically Kerosene you are saying Breitlings are 5h1te.
Come on guys get a real watch - Omega or if you want an aviator - IWC.

Kerosene Kraut
30th Aug 2002, 07:15
Not intending to offend anybody.

Heliport
30th Aug 2002, 13:25
Where's the cheapest place to buy a Breitling?
Dubai duty-free used to be.
Is it still?

Howski
30th Aug 2002, 14:09
Hello

I didnt check the price of my Breitling in the DDF, however with the exception of booze I usually find I can get things cheaper around Dubai, for instance electrical goods are usually lower priced in Deira City Centres Hypermarket.

Howski :D

wub
2nd Sep 2002, 10:49
Heliport:

I bought my Aerospace in Iceland (Airport duty free) and saved around one third of the UK price. The Aerospace has recently been hiked to £1,400 here, I paid just on £800 in Iceland

Idunno
4th Sep 2002, 12:03
BEagle I then took my watch to Breitling UK, they did the approved battery change and test....... The watch was returned to me within the quoted time by courier - excellent service indeed!

Did you not have to use a local agent then? I thought you can't deal direct with Breitling?

Got the address you used?

fobotcso
5th Sep 2002, 16:04
Yes, I'd like to know BEagle's secret.

Chez fob we have an expression "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it"

If the cost of authorised, properly done battery replacement (£45 taking four weeks at the moment), and everthing else that that job includes, deters you, you probably shouldn't have a watch with a four-figure UK value.

However, I think the three months costing £250 for a full service is ludicrous. I can't imagine that Breitling are really targetting the Professional Aviation market if they need that long. Surely professional aviators buy the watch because they want it for the job.

Perhaps Breitling think that the real pro aviators have two. Or maybe they are targetting the poseur market to which I am now sadly relegated.

My Aerospace (same as BEagle's from the sound of it) lasted a good three years on its first battery. I almost never used the alarm or the audio time signal. Remember you can cancel the audio time signal with a second press of the button if you accidentally trigger it.

That's not bad for a watch that lost two seconds in the two years since I last set it.

Cornish Jack
6th Sep 2002, 11:55
Fascinating insight into the basics of timepiece selection and the application of logic thereto.
What is required? - an ACCURATE indication of time; there is NOTHING as accurate in the world of timekeeping as the Caesium crystal controlled radio time output (half a second in a million years - if anyone is ambitious enough to test it :) )
What appears to be the problem with these over-hyped products of the Breitling factory? - Batteries and the necessity to change them. So the answer would appear to be the non-battery watch; several manufacturers produce them - Seiko, Citizen et al.
Finally, durability? - So, how about a watch made from ceramic - (case and bracelet) with a sapphire crystal? Very nearly indestructible and certainly impervious to the shocks and abrasions induced by even the most careless handling.
So, we have the logical answer (yes, such a watch is available and at less than half the price of even the duty-free Breitling).
A solar-powered, (four months power reserve), ceramic, radio-controlled wrist-watch which cannot be equalled for accuracy.
Will the pilot world rush to buy such an artifact? I doubt it. Methinks Fobotcso is close to the mark with his reference to the poseur market. :rolleyes:
By the way, don't change your habits chaps - in my present part-time occupation, we do quite nicely, thank you, in the battery change business - additionally, when I can eventually afford to buy mine I prefer to be one of a few logical thinkers than one of the fashion-conscious herd. :)

maxalt
8th Sep 2002, 00:06
Now now Jack, don't get nasty. I have a Breitling too, but its not my only watch. After all, the girlies are allowed lots of fancy jewllery so why can't blokes have a few nice watches (I'm not into bangles and earrings meself).

So Jack, what is the name of that super dooper watch you speak of? I think I want one.:D

nomdeplume
8th Sep 2002, 16:30
I'd like to buy a Breitling Aerospace for my son who's just about to get his ATPL.
I know some of you think they're a waste of money but many others, including my son, don't and I'd like to get him one to celebrate. Hopefully it will last his career.
I've seen them on the internet for $1600 (US).
Is this a good deal?
If not, can somebody please tell me the cheapest place? I travel a reasonable amount, as do colleagues, so foreign duty free is a possibility.

Any other comments on the best model Aerospace would also be appreciated. I don't want to spoil the surprise by asking my son.
Many thanks in advance.

wallabie
8th Sep 2002, 16:33
Paris subway is a good place. Full of pickpockets.:D

411A
8th Sep 2002, 16:58
If you're over FRA way, have a look in the duty free...good bargins there.

vertalop
8th Sep 2002, 17:05
My experience was similar in that mine played up after a cheap and cheerful battery change. A new expensive battery and Breiting service fixed the problem. The service centre said that the battery size was slightly different.
Has anyone else had problems with the LCD display going all gold and flakey below -10C? My silly fault for working in such cold places I suppose, but a bit disappointing for such a (supposedly) quality product!

saudipc-9
8th Sep 2002, 18:52
Riyadh Saudi Arabia by far is the cheapest I have found so far. However getting here is quite a trick:)

nomdeplume
8th Sep 2002, 19:28
Riyadh might be possible.
Any idea how much a Breitling Aerospace costs?
And where?

Thanks for the ideas so far.

PPRuNe Pop
8th Sep 2002, 19:43
Please look at the Breitling Aerospace thread. No need for two thread so I am closing this one.

saudipc-9
9th Sep 2002, 10:23
I would go for the B-1. About £1000 and more the watch than just the aerospace. You can read the LCD at night and has more features.
Two places in Riyadh one is in The Kuwati suk and the other is on Sitteen St (not sure of the spelling there). Get at least 15% of the price on the label and ask for a Breitling bag or aeroplane for good measure

mutt
9th Sep 2002, 13:56
I hadn’t seen Saudipc9's answer before i checked this out, but i found two versions of the Breitling Aerospace watch this morning in the Heraa Souk, Jeddah.

The cheaper version was $1290 and had a titanium strap interlaced with gold.

The other version was $1387 and had a more solid titanium strap. I don’t know the exact model numbers.

Good Luck.

Mutt.

msmorley
9th Sep 2002, 17:01
So Jack, what is the name of that super dooper watch you speak of? I think I want one.

The watch in question is a Junghans Mega Solar Ceramic of some variety:

Junghans (http://www.junghans.de/wdeutsch/futurewatch/index.shtml) in German only, unfortunately.

All but indestructible - mine is 4 years old and in pristine condition - but see my earlier comments regarding servicing...

m.

Basil
13th Sep 2002, 08:52
Have a look at:
http://www.fsiwebs.com/shopcart3/SC_ProdList.asp?CategoryID=28

msmorley
13th Sep 2002, 08:56
Doesn't seem to work :( I guess I need your cookies :)

m.

Canadiankid
13th Sep 2002, 19:19
For all of you who do the Maldives run in the winter, watches are CHEAP there. Check out Reefside shop in Male on a day when the crew goes to town to have a look around. They have a very good selection of Omega, Seiko, Citizen, Bulova and Breitling I believe. Prices are in US funds but are remarkably cheaper than here in Canada and I am guessing much cheaper than Europe. You can barter as well. Yes they are authentic.

Cornish Jack
13th Sep 2002, 21:35
Sorry, Maxalt - not being nasty, hence the smilies :)
MS Morley is correct - it is indeed the Junghans Solar Ceramic. Very clever bit of watchmaking and the pedigree is pretty good. I have one of their Atomat clocks, battery operated, circa 1930 from the look of the design - still keeps excellent time and not even a quartz movement. I shall keep saving my pennies :(

Sex Kitten
14th Sep 2002, 00:44
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but does anyone have one of those Breitling watches with the ELT built in? How much do they cost and where did you get it, any advice thanx.

Purrrrrrrr

steamchicken
16th Sep 2002, 13:06
If you're interested, there is a shop in Vienna that sells a wide selection of Russian aviators' watches cheap....1st Bezirk, just before Rotenturmstrasse meets Schwedenplatz, on the left opposite the George and Dragon Pub (but don't bother with the pub)

PAXboy
16th Sep 2002, 19:53
Whilst following the links, I had this in a pop-up warning screen from Breitling.No distributors or authorized BREITLING dealers sell any BREITLING products on the net.
BREITLING products offered on the web are counterfeits, second-hand watches or are of doubtful origin. They are not covered by any warranty. The BREITLING International warranty and an after-sales service in line with BREITLING's quality requirements are offered exclusively to consumers in possession of a watch purchased from an authorized BREITLING dealer. BREITLING S.A. and its distributors decline all responsability for any product carrying the BREITLING name that may have been purchased on the Internet. All brand names, visuals, designs and models are the exclusive property of BREITLING S.A.
The other week I was talking to an architect, who proudly showed me his Breitling with the statement, "It's the Architects watch, you know." I said that didn't. I also refrained from mentioning the Aviator line. Since the man comes from Saudi Arabia, I think he got it cheaper than some!

For myself, I have wanted the Junghans for some time. Their first edition of this was some ten years ago. Ho-Hum, which means that I stick with my HKG watch. Casio. £10 12 years and three batteries, the only point is - don't go swimming with it!!

In WWII, my father (RAF) told me that the Longines was the watch of choice.

Airbubba
16th Sep 2002, 23:35
>>They patiently explained that there is no such thing as an authorised 'while-you-wait' battery change for a Breitling! <<

I think they were feeding you a line of BS on that one.

Go to Melchers on Orchard Road in Singapore and they will gladly do a battery change, gasket replacement and pressure test while you wait. Cost is about S$35 as I recall. I've had nothing but good luck with Melchers in SIN over the past few years.

Select the service department link on this page for address and phone number:

http://thaitrading.com/samples/melchers_sg/tp/index.htm

The Aerospace has a seven jewel quartz movement made by ETA of the Swatch Group. The Chronomat and several other mechanical Breitlings have a modified Valjoux 7750, also supplied by ETA to Breitling in kit form for assembly. The 7750 is the Ford of modern chrono movements, costs maybe $200 retail for the basic ebauche. Still, it often ends up in some very pricey pieces:

See http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/caliber2.html

A great article on the Valjoux 7750 is here:

http://www.timezone.com/WatchSchool/The_Horologium/Valjoux7750/valjoux7750.shtml

>>The cheaper version was $1290 and had a titanium strap interlaced with gold.

The other version was $1387 and had a more solid titanium strap. I don’t know the exact model numbers. <<

I think you can beat these prices by about $100 in Singapore. Try Sincere Watch in Lucky Plaza and walk around the corner to Roy Eastern for a competitive quote. You should be able to get at least 30% off local list price (which is much lower than in the U.S.). Hour Glass and Cortina Watch are also good places to check. These are authorized dealers and you can get the 3% GST tax back if you exit SIN as a passenger.

Omega has recently clamped down on discounts in SIN, limiting them to 18% so don't expect much there.

If you go to Dubai, there is a nice Breitling store at Deira City Centre Mall. Many crews shop there, the prices are about the same as SIN, not much haggling but good discounts. The published e-mail address for the store is [email protected]

adammcafee
17th Sep 2002, 01:18
Breitlings suck! Have had that digital Navitimer for thirteen years, tha last three in my box dead and unused(kept lousy time). But they sponsor a damn good air race at Reno!

unwiseowl
17th Sep 2002, 18:55
my £10 casio is just about perfect, and nobody is going to machete my arm off to nick it!!!!!!

canberra
17th Sep 2002, 22:29
the best place ive found for good quality watches is a stall at the night market in penang. its next door to the holiday inn. on the subject of issue watches in wwii i always thought that they were all omegas.

Capt.KAOS
18th Sep 2002, 09:31
I can recommand Patpong nite market in BKK, really cheap Rolex, only 500B.

KAOS

wub
18th Sep 2002, 10:44
KAOS:

I asked a market trader in Bangkok if his watches were waterproof. His answer was "8 feet", when I asked him to confirm they were waterproof to 8 feet he said "no don't go within 8 feet of water when wearing it!" :D

Deaf
20th Sep 2002, 15:33
Issue watches are easy to pick. Instead of "non-magentic","shockproof" etc etc they just say NON REPAIRABLE.

Crack
22nd Sep 2002, 17:43
I carry a sun dial, it causes a bit of havoc, getting it into the cockpit,( sorry ladies) flight compartment, and as the sun always shines it is 100% reliable, and I might add a hell of a lot cheaper.:cool: