PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Working in Belize?

Beaver
8th Sep 2002, 12:04
Used to work in Belize and was just interested if anyone logging on was based there. If so, how is the Belizean aviation industry these days? I see from the net that Caye Chapel has been turned into a golf resort island so perhaps the economy is on the up?
Any comments?!

mkeelan
8th Sep 2002, 17:23
just finished working in belize a few weeks ago. now back in canada wondering why i left.

aviation industry is growing. some rich guy from dangriga bought Maya Island Air and is pumping millions into the company. they got 3 new caravans this year and i think they are supposed to get 2 more in november, so probably by february on belize time... tropic is doing well and is still growing a bit, usually gets a new caravan every year.

san pedro is growing like crazy. that silly show "temptation island" got it a lot of publicity and has transformed the island into "construction island" southern belize around the placencia area is also growing rapidly.

hope this helps,
:cool: mike:cool:

Mikey21
27th Sep 2002, 03:09
Sorry guys i don't work in belize but would like to!
Just wondering what is the best way to get a job down there?
I am struggling in Canada, instructing, and would like to see something news.
Do you have to get a working Visa if you are a canadina resident?
And what is the best way to get the job go and show your face?
Just hard to come across enought cash!
Anyway wouldn't mind trying Maya air, give me some advice , as you guys have done it before, cheers boys.

0tter1
27th Sep 2002, 05:03
Hey all,
I too am interested in flying in Belize, have spoken to the guys and girls at Maya Island air. Very friendly and helpfull. I am an aussie with about 1200 hours TT couple of hundred multi and turbine exp ( DHC-6). Any information anyone could pass on about living and working over there would be great. Interested in finding out pay and how many hours flown on average.
From what i have heard in the past, sounds like a lot of fun...

VneII
3rd Oct 2002, 02:21
G'day All

I too have day dreams of flying around paradise! I'm from Oz with similar time to Mikey21. This time next year I plan to be in South America and then travel to the Caribbean in search of work.
If any of you plan to be there or are there at the same time it would be great to catch up, have a few beers and compare war stories.

VneII:D

mkeelan
4th Oct 2002, 03:43
here's the scoop on belize:

tropic air is more than staffed up at the moment, and probably won't need anyone this year. maya island air is supposed to be getting some new aircraft (208's) so there might be some opening there this fall/winter.
you can use pretty much any license to fly in belize, you just need to get it validated by belize civil aviation. to get a validation you need to write an airlaw test and have 500 hours PIC or they count SIC time as half towards the 500PIC.
to work there you need a work permit. the companies will apply for this for you, however you have to pay for it ($750USD).
pay at tropic air is good, pay at maya island is well.... similar to canada. i think the starting salary there is about $1000US a month. but it's enough to live on. sort of.
living in belize is awesome, and there's a good group of pilots there. average cost of living for me was about $1000US a month. that was for living in a small 1 bedroom apt. on the beach, utilities, food, and lots of rum.
hope this helps.
cheers:cool:

VneII
8th Oct 2002, 01:35
mkeelan, thanx heaps for the scoop:cool:

can you perhaps offer some info and advice on the most common aircraft operated in the area and the best endorsements to have to try and get work???

with 1500TT and 500multi would you be in the running for a job if your knocking on the door????

Cheers

VneII :rolleyes:

Up and Away Again
12th Oct 2002, 16:22
mkeelan, I think we spoke before? I am a jet captain in the UK but I will eventually be wanting out of the '9 to 5' flying even though the pay is good, well very good!

6000 hours with 1700 on the C-208 in and out of bush strips in Africa.

Couple of questions, what do you require? Is it single pilot operation?How much is the Rum?

mkeelan, I think we spoke before. I will eventually get tired of the '9 to 5' job of being a jet captain in the UK.

6000 hours with 1700 on the C-208 bush flying in Africa.

Couple of questions, Is your operation a single pilot operation, Whats it like for children(education wise), and how much is the Rum?

mkeelan
12th Oct 2002, 16:37
VneII - you'd have a chance at maya island air with your time. they just got another islander (BN2) online, so they will probably be looking for guys with multi time. and of course being there is always helps. the plane that is flown the most in BZE is the C208, but generally you'd have to work your way up in the company and get to know the routes/airstrips before you would get in the van. you don't need a PPC or rating to get on there cause it's all day VFR flying.

Up and Away - it wasn't me you were chatting with before, another guy at tropic. you would definately have enough time to get straight on the van at tropic. it's all single pilot (except for training new guys) and its great fun flying - there's no radar in belize;)! and the rum is cheap - $6US for a litre! anyway for canadians to fly in the UK (after obtaining JAA ATP of course)?

cheers:cool:

Up and Away Again
13th Oct 2002, 11:22
mkeelan, it looks good.

Do you have to be present in Belize to get a job?

About a Canadian flying in the uk:
it must be possible as there are a few Canadian pilots around. Possible info on the UK CAA site

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp

Didn't have the time to trawl through the site to find licence conversion but it must be there somewhere!

MilOps
15th Oct 2002, 16:39
Question for all you Belize fans. I am contemplating going to Belize to train as an AG pilot with Sam Riggs in a couple of years. Has anybody had any dealings with his operation and also what opportunities are there for AG pilots in Belize?

crack up
15th Oct 2002, 19:48
Milops:
Sam Riggs operation in BZ is a myth, does not exist. Do not send money. His web site showing BZ is false. There is no flt. school, no FBO, no airpark. Check the U.S. D.O.J.
Beware

mkeelan
15th Oct 2002, 20:50
crack up is right about that Sam Riggs Ag program - doesn't exist! pretty funny to see the website cause none of it is true. a 'full service FBO and airport" in belize - get real.

MilOps
16th Oct 2002, 19:11
Thanks guys. thought there was a problem with him when he mysteriously disappeared from his location in Oklahoma a few years ago. Classic case of failed FTO shutting up shop and vapourising overnight.