PDA

View Full Version : That 1st Love of a Flying Machine

b55
8th Sep 2002, 11:38
The first flying machine that I "fell in love" with was the Beechcraft Baron, 55. That feeling of slipping into the front left seat, with no effort, so easy, so feeling just right, made for me. Flying that machine and doing it with so little effort between the "two" of us. Achieving those things asked of us even on bad days, and knowing when to give it away on other days, knowing again "we" would be back tomorrow. I miss "her".
Will Never Forget It.
Oh, What A Feeling!
What about you?!

Piz Buin
8th Sep 2002, 12:23
Glynnis the Inca in Peru in a C152... :D

mainwheel
8th Sep 2002, 13:29
Anything that'll get to the trobiands and have mag drop on arrival!!

18-Wheeler
8th Sep 2002, 13:55
Citation 2 for me.
First turbine ..... First plane I really got to know, first decent job, etc.

criticalmass
9th Sep 2002, 12:06
The microlight because:-

i) I could afford to buy it,
ii) I could afford to run it, and
iii) I could afford to fix it.

If only women were like that!

Slasher
11th Sep 2002, 07:07
Watching an ANA DC3 taking off from West Beach when I was 2. Got up every morning for years after and watched it every day passing over my home. It became like an old wise friend whod visit me and see how I was doin. Kept beggin whoever was in it would swoop me up and take me along.

And I still secretley do (sniff!) every time Im luckey enough to see a 3 take off.

Kaptin M
11th Sep 2002, 09:06
From an early age (can't honestly remember exactly when) ANY BIG (airline size) aeroplanes, and any WW2 fighters!
I grew up (until about 6 y.o.) in Mackay, and have a photo (B&W) of me and my Grandma standing in front of VH-ANT, an old ANA DC3...I guess it would have been at BNE airport after I'd flown down to visit her.

Used to watch the the "Electras" flying over our house in BNE later in life and always wanted to fly a 4-engined turbo-prop - NEVER a jet. To me, pure jets were not REAL aircraft.
Unfortunately I only got to fly the F27, and from there the DC9.

Hated the "Mouse", loved the 9!

McDonnell/Douglas built their aeroplanes for PILOTS.

So in answer - in evolution - the Cessna 310, then the Diesel 9, and finally - as much as I still think it's a god-ugly aeroplane, the 747.

Offchocks
11th Sep 2002, 11:19
Hey Slasher you and I have something in common with ANA and West Beach. (But not guns !!!! ;) ).
My dad used to work for ANA at West Beach and used to take me along to see DC3s and DC6s when I was a todler.
I've always wanted to fly DC6s and L1011s but no luck. Having said that, the 767 is my favorite and I could quite happily retire on it!:)

Keg
11th Sep 2002, 15:36
Hey Offie, some of us just wish that you'd do that sooner rather than later!! :D

No jokes about what sort of car you (or I) would drive in retirement either!! :eek:

Offchocks
11th Sep 2002, 23:53
Now Keg you know I'll never be able to afford a car with a 3 pointed star!
I'm afraid you will have to put up with me for a few years yet. I'm still looking forward to that beer, your shout if I remember right!!!!!!! :D

Capt Vegemite
12th Sep 2002, 23:12
As a kid playing in a paddock full of junked P-40 Kittyhawks(dad can we buy one and take it home?)

Watching Mustangs doing circuits and bumps and Tiger Moths crop dusting.

Did get to fly a few 4 engine turbo props..they all in a museum now.:

Herc Jerk
16th Sep 2002, 03:05
Lockheed's Hercules...

Beautiful/ugly, honest brute. From FL300 and 14hrs across an ocean, to 4000' of dirt in a warzone. Carry anything from road graders to rice bags. No computers telling you what to do, just go out and do it. And if you can't stop, open the ramp and drop.

And when on contract, she is the only constant when everything else changes... home away from home.

And four screws are better than four blow-jobs, right?:D

HJ

TheNightOwl
18th Sep 2002, 03:35
Herc Jerk: .......4 screws, etc., etc. You wouldn't be RAF, would you? That was the 8 Sqn sticker much prized at Lossiemouth in the 70s and 80s, i.e. "8 screws are better than 2 blow-jobs", a comparison between the venerable Shackleton and the Jaguar.

Memories!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :D :D

Herc Jerk
18th Sep 2002, 06:04
TheNightOwl , good memories I'm sure mate, but i'm a simple civilian... where the saying originated i have no idea, but said in my parts of the world as 4 screws/3 blowjobs to compare the L382(civ C-130) and the B727. If we have you guys to thank, so be it... long live Lockheed!

HJ