PDA

View Full Version : Current Affairs

Tucano2331
8th Sep 2002, 10:52
I am aware that current affairs is quite an important aspect of the interview at the OASC. I have been advised to choose five topics that provide a range of information, from domestic to foreign and civil to military. I read the papers, like the Daily Telegraph, and keep up with national and local news but I am not sure what to focus on and to build up a good knowledge base on. How do I go about choosing what to focus on?
:confused:

uncle peter
8th Sep 2002, 11:47
gen up on the major issues of the time period such as iraq. you may not be questioned on the topic as an in depth knowledge may be assumed. apart from that choose topics which are fairly weighty but are of interest to you. look up news websites such as the economist to get some good background knowledge.

use your initiative, although some will point you generally in the right direction some may not and may take offence to your thread. you have to admit that with a little thought and application this thread may not have been necessary. 10/10 for using a little lateral thinking and using all means necessary to get advice. good luck

is there possibly a case for looking into setting up a military wannabes forum??

Tucano2331
8th Sep 2002, 15:43
Thank you for the advice uncle peter, I'll take that all under consideration. Sports is something that interests me, but I'll have to look carefully into it to find something that would be acceptible.
Just have to decide what is weighty topic that is appropriate to take with me to the OASC. Theres lots going on in the world so it can't be too hard!

Farfrompuken
8th Sep 2002, 16:09
Tucano Mate,

There's loads of stuff in the broadsheets to get your head round: M East, Mugabe, World Summit, Euro etc.....
Just don't obssess (sp?), but at the same time take an interest into what's going on, both at home and overseas.

You'll have an easier time if you're totally honest, so if you don't know about a topic, just 'fess up, rather than dig a very uncomfortable hole for yourself. The staff will appreciate your honesty.
Be yourself, and you'll have no snags. Look at it as a challenge, not a chafing experience.

Good luck;)

Rude C'man
8th Sep 2002, 17:21
Have a broad knowledge of where the RAF is in the world why they are there and what they are doing? Have reasoned arguments for any opinions you may have on current affairs around the world, look at trade and commerce as well as foreign and politics. At the end of the day you will not have all the answers and it’s all a game to see what you do know and why you have your opinions. Watch ‘news week’ and buy a weekly news round-up magazine . Good luck

And we were saying? .... Mil Wannabe's forum, I think so!!

Lucifer
11th Sep 2002, 19:43
'The Week' newpaper summarises the week (surprisingly) and The Economist, though it is a bit more heavy. Both are a sound choice.

Talking Radalt
11th Sep 2002, 20:55
For Home Affairs I found Time and Newsweek pretty good. Although American publications, they sometimes give a slightly more impartial view and have a more detached stance than some of even the heavier broadsheets.
And they also explain things in plain English;)