PDA

View Full Version : BA meet and greet question

femaleflyer
24th Jan 2001, 00:16
Hi people,
I have my meet and greet day coming up and am wondering if anyone out there could tell me a little bit about it. What goes on? Do you have lunch? Do you have to give a presentation? What do the cadets wear on the day? That question particularly applies to female candidates.
I am a bit nervous and would appreciate someone who has done it to tell me what it's all about.
Thanks.

Airbus_319
24th Jan 2001, 00:28
Hi femaleflyer

Just like to congratulate you on getting into the BA cadet scheme. It's hard work but you'll enjoy it. Going back to your question. The meet & greet is a chance for you to meet your fellow cadets, your course liason pilots (basically 2 line pilots who will come and visit you at your training base every x months to make sure you're all fine, and pay for the beers!)& robin Glover who is the head of the training scheme. You should wear smart dress (as for the interviews) and the day consists of a lecture by some head honcho on what you'll be doing for the next 14 months and so on. After that it'll be a buffet lunch where you get a chance to talk to fellow cadets and guys from BA. the best bit is when they let you have a 5 minute flight in a 737 sim.
All in all it's a great day.

Ferrari
24th Jan 2001, 13:31
Sounds like a fun family day out! Just another quick question - when is the day in relation to start date? I'm going to have my Finals just before I start the Scheme, so I might not be able to make it.

eeper
24th Jan 2001, 15:29
Well done to both of you for making it. As Airbus said, it is hard work and at times will seem to go on forever, but it is oh-so worth it!
The meet and greet date is usually the same as the start date. You go directly from Cranebank to Oxford. It is (or used to be) an optional day, but I heartily recommend that you go if only for the chance to have a play in the sim. Those 5 minutes will keep you going during those dark exam-hell nights.

Positive Climb
24th Jan 2001, 22:57
Femaleflyer - congrats on getting onto the scheme - are you going to Oxford or W. Michigan ?

You are about to start the most intense study period of your life - the best advice I can offer you is forge strong friendships with your coursemates from the start - you are all in it together and you will carry each other through when things are tough (and I promise there will be many tough times over the next 18 months). Some of the people you are about to start the course with will become friends for life and if you can make it a team effort from the start it does make things so much easier.

Enjoy - hopefully i'll see you on the line sometime in the future.

;-)

PigsCanFly
25th Jan 2001, 01:17
Hello people,

Please could you give me an idea of when you had your final boards, when you sent them your Class 1 medical certificate, when they gave you your start date, and when you're starting?

I had my final board mid-December, sent them my CAA class 1 certificate today, and was wondering (a) when I can expect to be given a start date, and (b) roughly when that start date might be? (are we talking 2 months, 6 months or what?)

Many thanks

flaps
25th Jan 2001, 16:10
Sounds like good advice being offered. When I went to the meet a greet we left our loved ones (boo hoo) and headed straight to Oxford. I've heard that the M'n'G is now a couple of weeks prior to the course start day? Any ideas?

Visual
25th Jan 2001, 18:39
My meet and greet day was two weeks in advance of starting at Oxford..

747-400 sim, 2 reds 2 whites all the way...not bad for a then beginner!

femaleflyer
25th Jan 2001, 23:47
Thanks everyone.
My meet and greet is not for another month after which I'll be going to Oxford.
Thanks for the input. :)