PDA

View Full Version : Civvy Licence Stuff

ivan
8th Sep 2002, 02:19
Been out of the loop for a while - sorry if this topic has been done to death whilst I was gone. Anyone know what happens with your CAA ATPL exam passes if you missed the June 2002 deadline for National licences and want to convert to a JAR licence?

Help me out guys .:confused:

thermoluminescent
8th Sep 2002, 04:20
Hello Ivan,

I think the prognosis might be bad. I was in your boat sts a few months back with all the academics in the bag but being slightly not in the country. I was told that if I wanted to 'protect' my old UK National academics then I had to at least come back and get a CPL (which would involve less hassle / expense / time than the IRT required for UK National ATPL) before Jun 30 02. In the end I went back and did the IRT thing before the deadline (only just - licence issue stamped 30 Jun 02). I think, think but am not sure, that you might have to go the JAR route now with the lot (incl academics).

Suggest you contact the CAA Flight Crew Licensing people:

[email protected]

011 44 1239 573700

I found them very helpful even though I was totally cluedo

Thermoluminescent

Edited for smelling pistakes

BEagle
8th Sep 2002, 06:50
Quick question - have you got 2000 hours FW time? If you have, then you may find that the military accreditation route is simpler.

Are you FJ or ME?

For example, if you've done, say the Herc OCU, have 2000 hours TT of which 1500 P1 are on the Herc, 1000 as P1C, then all you'd need to do to obtain a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) would be:

1. Obtain a JAR Class 1 medical
2. Pass JAR ATPL(A) Air Law
3. Have a CAA IRE watch your IRT.
4. Fill ot the forms and pay the dosh.

There are similar, but not quite so generous accreditations for FJ pilots with >2000 hrs TT towards a JAR-FCL CPL. It's all on the www.tgda.gov.uk/CAA_Accreditation/CAAAccreditation.htm website - as are RW accreditiations towards ATPL(H).

ivan
8th Sep 2002, 14:05
Thanks for the gen

BEagle
8th Sep 2002, 16:19
ivan - if you have a UK ATPL(H)/IR, you can convert it to a JAR-FCL ATPL(H)/IR by revalidating it as appropriate and making a signed declaration stating that an appropriate knowledge of JAR-OPS and JAR-FCL has been acquired. Look up AIC 109/97 on the www.ais.org.uk website and ask the CAA to send you the relevant form. It used to be included on AIC 55/98, but that seems to have disappeared from the website.

Once you have a current JAR-FCL ATPL(H)/IR, you will be credited from the ATPL(A) Theoretical Knowledge Examinations by completing 'the appropriate bridging examination requirements'. Sorry - I don't know what those are nor for how long they remain valid whilst you complete your other ATPL(A) requirements.

So I suggest:

1. Make sure your UK ATPL(H)/IR is current and valid in all respects.

2. Confirm with the CAA that all you need to do is to complete AIC 55/98 requirements and pay the licence issue fee in order to convert your UK licence to a JAR-FCL licence.

3. Ask for details of the ATPL(H)-to-ATPL(A) bridging exams.

4. Ask for how long ATPL(A) knowledge remains valid whilst you complete all other FW training requirements; ask in particular whether, as the holder of a JAR-FCL professional licence, you would still need to obtain a FW IR(A) within 36 months of securing the ATPL(A) knowledge.

Please NB that I'm not totally certain of this interpretation of the minefield of Personnel Licensing. You MUST get the CAA to confirm all this. In writing, I suggest. WRITE, don't phone!

Good luck!!