PDA

View Full Version : Australian CPL/IR conversion to JAA

zacc
7th Sep 2002, 12:43
Does anyone know what the latest requirements are for converting an Australian CPL/IR to the JAA equivalent?

redsnail
7th Sep 2002, 13:48
This assumes you have no 2 crew time.
1. Do the CAA medical at Gatwick. GBP 235
2. Do an approved theory groundschool, best bet is distance learning. 2000 pounds or so.
3. Sit all 14 JAR ATPL exams. ~GBP750
4. Min hours req'd to convert the IR, 15 hours.
Budget at least GBP 6000
5. CAA IR exam fee GBP 575
6. Go to Gatwick and get the lic. ~GBP 100

You'd need to factor in cost of living and other such expenses.
To verify go to CAA (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk)
To be honest, without any turbine time or multi crew you would just be joining the ranks of the locals that are trying hard to get a job. I don't know your hours but any thing less than 1500 hours piston is considered "low hour" here. (At the moment)

Steep Pressure Gradient
7th Sep 2002, 15:55
Just finished last week actually. Redo is pretty well spot on (as usual).

I'll borrow from your post if you don't mind Redo -

1. Do the CAA medical at Gatwick. (GBP 235)
2. Do an approved theory groundschool, best bet is distance learning. 2000 pounds or so. (see note)
3. Sit all 14 JAR ATPL exams. (GBP 700)
4. Complete training as required for the CPL (see note)
5. Pass the CPL skills test (GBP 575)
6. Min hours req'd to convert the IR, 15 hours. 10 hours can be done on a FNPT II sim. Other 5 hours to be in the a/c. Budget around GBP 3500
7. Pass a pre-licence test (known as a 170A)
8. Pass the IR skills test (GBP 575)
9. Go to Gatwick and get the lic. (GBP 176)

Couple of points to add -

1. I did the Bristol DL course but was not required to attend any of the brush up courses. Cost - 1000 pounds

2. You are required to complete a CPL flight test however the amount of training prior to the test is up to the FTO. This is very easy compared to the Oz CPL ride. I got away with two hours prior to the test.

3. The 170A can be part of the 5 hours in the a/c if you are up to speed in time.

The theory side took 5 months to complete, the flying was done in just over 2 weeks. Spend somewhere around 8,000 GBP and that was absolute minumum hours.

james lully
7th Sep 2002, 19:44
What about MEP

zacc
8th Sep 2002, 02:27
Thanks for the low down guys, & thanks for the tip on adequate levels of experience redsnail, as this will be an issue for me!
Further to that point, can anyone give me a heads up on whether there is much work in the GA charter realm in the UK/Europe, and what is an acceptable level of logged time?:confused:

james lully
8th Sep 2002, 04:19
Steep Pressure Gradient
Congratulations, by the way which FTO did you go? It seems very effective. I am looking for a place to do the IR.Thanks-James

redsnail
8th Sep 2002, 09:14
GA charter?
Very scarce....

Poontang Luva
8th Sep 2002, 10:27
I paid 80 quid for the med (I think:rolleyes: ) coz I already had an Aussie Class 1 Medical.

Don't mention that fact to them when you book and you'll get ripped off!

PL

PS - Steep Pressure Gradient, i've sent you a private msg.

Send Clowns
8th Sep 2002, 11:02
Note - only the UK has the reduced hours for the IR. If you try this in any other JAA country you will still have to sit the full 25-hour CPL and 50-hour IR.

Steep Pressure Gradient
8th Sep 2002, 11:56
Send Clowns - not quite my friend ref JAR-FCL 1.016 'the authority may be guided as to the credits to be granted on the basis of a recommendation from an appropriate FTO'. It's up to each individual authority to grant credits as they see fit.

James - providing you have over 100 hours multi the MEP consists of a quick licencing proficiency check which should be completed within the required training (during the 170A for example).

I did the flying with Tayflite in Perth (Scotland). Couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people. Nicely maintained PA34-200T's at reasonable rates. FNPT II sim onsite. Accommodation and a bar at the airport. Examiner on the field. The owner (Les) is a great guy and has some pretty practical views on flying. My instructor (thanks Richard!!) had flown in Africa, US and the UK so was very helpful in pointing out the differences in the UK procedures (which is really the only problem you should have during the process).

Hope this helps.

Send Clowns
8th Sep 2002, 17:57
Exactly, Steep Px Gradient, hence the UK CAA has done just that. Currently, as far as I am aware, there is no other JAA state giving similar credits. Until earlier this year indeed the CAA was still insisting on a full, approved course for many holders of IRs from other ICAO states.

Sly'n Smiley
9th Sep 2002, 11:35
Gidday Red, what are the requirements and costs to convert an Oz ATPL to JAA? This is based on ~8500hrs. ~5000hrs. Jet FO Jet command endorsement(but no jet P1 time) and MECIR? All a bit sad for ex-AN FOs :) (p.s. Have UK right-of-abode)

Tosh McCaber
9th Sep 2002, 13:42
Send Clowns- how can it be different in the UK, since it is a JAA- (ie European) license?