PDA

View Full Version : WIN XP Ms Dos

comeflymark
7th Sep 2002, 11:28
Tried to 'format' my XP laptop using the Command Prompt from the START menu. Format C: - replies 'format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process'.

If I try to dismount this process as suggested, I am then prompte that the process is still in use.

I have also tried to use the XP boot floppy to force the system into MS-DOS. On the line prompt (C:\ ) I type format C: but have 'bad file name' reply.

How do I format my computer, to clear all information in order to re-install XP

MarkD
7th Sep 2002, 11:47
You need a Win98 boot disk [not sure how XP boot disk works].

copy fdisk onto it, and delete the primary partition. [XP Home has NTFS yeah? If not you could just format with the win98 disk]

then pop in your XP CD, I presume like the 98CD it will create the partition and format... that's what I'd do for Win2K anyway which is what I have at work.

any comments, what_does_this_button_do?

pilot-lite
7th Sep 2002, 15:12
Boot into the XP installer with the XP CD. You are presented with a list of partitions and the operating systems (if any) on those partitions. Select your present XP install and choose not to update or repair but instead to delete that partition. You can then re-select the now empty partition, choose to install XP and you will then be prompted to format the partition before XP is re-installed. You can chose a quick or full format. Unless you have a problem with duff sectors on your hard dri ve the quick option is the one you want.

pilot-lite

fobotcso
7th Sep 2002, 17:12
This is an echo of what p-l said, with the addition of the bit about the BIOS setting

I think XP is likely to be similar to Win2K and I have just done a clean re-install of that on my Vaio.

Put the XP CD in the CD-ROM Drive and switch on and watch the screen like a hawk because it will ask you to hit any key to boot from the CD. That is if you've configured the BIOS to boot from the CD before the HDD. You won't get much time.

One you've started the process, as you follow the screen prompts, you get the chance to reformat the system Drive to FAT or NTFS. With all the usual warnings about losing data, of course.