PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden star is commercial jet pilot

Jet II
7th Sep 2002, 07:54
From Ananova

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson has a secret second career as a commercial jet pilot. He flies jets carrying thousands of holidaymakers a week for the airline Astraeus during his breaks between tours.

Dickinson is based at Gatwick and flies to European, North African and Middle East destinations. He flies as first officer on the planes - the second in command - and was on duty today flying to Greece and back.

An airline spokesman said: "Not many people know, but with the band resting between tours Bruce is enjoying the ultimate boy's toy. "He started flying single engine planes in the early 90s and now flies Boeing 737 passenger jets."

Story filed: 02:30 Saturday 7th September 2002

What next?

Ozzy Osbourne as a hosty serving the meals!
:D

Slick
7th Sep 2002, 08:18
Yeh meet him down in Bristrol several years ago - nice bloke

Rgds

Kalium Chloride
7th Sep 2002, 08:28
But Astraeus only operates 737s. I'd have thought Bruce would have been on the heavy metal... :D

S76Heavy
7th Sep 2002, 08:55
And does he have to cut his hair?:D

Hamrah
7th Sep 2002, 09:02
I try to stop him singing on the PA......but he has cut his hair (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$DZTETKBABXLOVQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2002/09/07/nbruce07.xml&sSheet=/portal/2002/09/07/por_right.html)
:)

H

nitefiter
7th Sep 2002, 10:13
The writer of this years eurovision entry and former member of 70,s band Split ends, works as an fo for bmi regional,maybe a tie up with Bruce for next year? oh dear maybe not!!

Pandora
7th Sep 2002, 10:23
Well, Bruce probably had to find something else exciting to do now that he is a bit old to compete in the top levels at fencing (the sword thing, not the thing you put round the garden.) He once ranked in the top 10 in Britain at the sport.

Sick
7th Sep 2002, 10:47
..but why didn't he leave his hair as it was, don a pinny and go down the back instead?! :eek:

EGLD
7th Sep 2002, 11:07
does it not worry any of you out of work 737 type rated pilots that in this climate, a guy that obviously doesnt financially need to work is doing so as a hobby??

Brenoch
7th Sep 2002, 11:51
EGLD:

It's a free country isn't it??

He can apply for the job as much as you can, whatever motives..

Pilot Pete
7th Sep 2002, 11:52
and getting every weekend off for his radio program................isn't charter flying great!

PP

ADC
7th Sep 2002, 12:18
EGLD

My company has been recruiting 737 rated pilots for a little while now, and I can tell you that most the "unemployed" 737 rated pilots are either with a raw type rating ( zero hours on type) or are deemed unsuitable by virtue of interview/sim assessment. And with 737 rated pilots being the most sought after in Europe, there must be good reasons why they are still unemployed.

As Brenoch says, surely anyone can apply for vacancies irrespective of previous careers or other business activities.

My view is that Bruce is a good example to those "older" candidates who wonder if it is too late to start a career in flying.

PP...I think most of the radio shows are taped...could be wrong.

Al E. Vator
7th Sep 2002, 12:58
Love it.......good luck to him.
Fantastic. Thrashin a guitar around on stage has the same vibes as bashing a 737 down to the minima and revving it up over 8/8ths of SC at 3000'.
Good luck to him.............should be more of it.
Cheers.......A p!ssed Al.

AA76757
7th Sep 2002, 13:14
I'm curious re the statement "doesnt financially need to work is doing so as a hobby"
How do you draw the conclusion that it's only a "hobby" for him? I would say that anyone who has never forgotten his lifelong goal and passion, and managed to gain experience all these years while working in his original career, is not much different from many other professional pilots. Sure he has money, but so do a lot of other pilots (or their families), which mean they don't have to work.

The lack of a financial "need to work" does not make him a "hobbyist". It's all about attitude and competence; if his attitude, drive, and dedication is professional, and if his competence reflects that of a professional pilot, then he is most definitely a professional.

Sounds like a bit of simple envy or jealousy to me

Smoketoomuch
7th Sep 2002, 13:23
I hear he's had all the gauges renumbered so they now go up to eleven :p

Fugazi
7th Sep 2002, 14:24
Good luck to Bruce! What a versatile guy.

I know there's no chance, but I wish he'd join EK. I would love to fly with him! Trouble is though we'd have to change our flight numbers to EK 666 whenever he was operating!

Capt PPRuNe
7th Sep 2002, 14:46
EGLD, I and indeed most people don't financially need to work because we could all go on to state benefits or cash in pensions or whatever. So, that makes all of 'hobbyists' then?

May I suggest you contain the Green Eyed Monster within you and get on with achieving your goals through your own merit and not the displacement of those who have already proved their competence and professionalism.
:rolleyes:

CrashDive
7th Sep 2002, 15:30
Hey, EGLD, I’ve just checked your profile..... and guess what ? I'm an IT Manager too, albeit that I also fly a B737.
So, using your logic, maybe I should give one of them up in order to give someone else a chance ?

Of course life's not fair, never was and never will be ( and I should know ! ) and ADC was quite correct ( as are the sentiments of the others above ) in that, whilst it's maybe a somewhat unpalatable truth, it pays to remember that just because you've got a professional pilots license ( and / or maybe a shiny new jet type-rating to go with it ) this is NOT an instant passport to employment, the only door that it opens is that it allows you to apply for a job with an airline - of course whether (or not) you subsequently secure that coveted position is very much down to how you present yourself at the interview, how you then fair in any subsequent simulator assessment - and of course a certain amount of luck.

That said, and for the record, I'm delighted to report that Bruce is a good pilot, thoroughly nice bloke, and total aviation person - and he's also rated on the B757 as well ( the lucky ****** ! )

EGLD
7th Sep 2002, 15:49
just asked the question fellas

no jealousy here, i have no intentions of being a pilot !

Pilot Pete
7th Sep 2002, 16:05
757 rating as well!

I was going to suggest that DHL are looking for rated guys who like to 'stay up all night burning the candle at both ends', but on reflection I think there are probably too many hotel rooms around Europe that would just protest too loudly at the prospect............................! Best stick to the 'out and back' world of charter!:D

Good luck to him.

PP

airbourne
7th Sep 2002, 16:09
I take it that no one remembers Bruce from the PPrune bash summer 2001, he was there and working for British World on the 757. He bought one of the pprune fund CDs that I had made even though there was no iron maiden on it!!!

Terribly nice guy!

BALIX
7th Sep 2002, 17:38
Just a thought - When I need an audiogram for my class one medical, I am told not to wear a headset that day. Just how long does Bruce have to leave after a gig to do his audiogram?

About six months perhaps?

If you are reading this Bruce, good luck to you mate. Rock idol and professional pilot, you luck b'stard :D :D :D

AA76757
7th Sep 2002, 19:39
Fair enough, EGLD. I retract my envy/jealousy comment.

There are pilots who do (incorrectly) accuse other pilots of "taking their :rolleyes: jobs" for whatever reason; that's why your question got the reaction it did.

pancho
7th Sep 2002, 19:45
Ah yes, Dick Brucensun the famous Norweigan folk singer, had to leave Norway in a hurry after some photos of him riding a moose were pulished (not sure why?). Yes I remember the chap now, quiet sort, sold a used pilots licence to him in Freetown and threw in a nice yellow suit for his Sunday services. Heard he was good at putting up fences as well, that,ll come in handy when Old Hamrah gets him working on the sites over the winter.

Hope yer havin fun Brucey ;) :D

EGLD
7th Sep 2002, 20:29
Hey AA76757, no problem

I completely understand the reaction my post got

however, my real suggestion, which I never atcually came out and said, was that because he financially didnt need the position, he could in effect do the job for a serious amount less than the job would normally command, because he saw it, much like Travolta does, as a hobby ! This doesnt seem to be the case.

I've read here stories of many pilots out of work, and figured this may p*ss some people off, but my post was based on too many assumptions. Good luck to the fella !

jumpseater
7th Sep 2002, 22:50
Perhaps he'll be persuaded to gig at a pprune bash, and do a cover version of the infamous Spinal Tap's 'lick my love pump'!:eek:

I wonder if he flies through EMA if he'll do the PA 'Live at Donington'? he obviously has the 'X Factor', good for him!

CrashDive
8th Sep 2002, 06:42
........... but he has indeed already sung various ditties at the last two PPRuNe bashes !

Uhm, I can see these becoming ticket only events lest the heavy rock brigade invades us........... e.g. sometime in the future.........

Rock dude 1: "Hey wadya doin' this weekend dude ?"

Rock dude 2: "Goin down to Gatwick to see Bruce play some private gig in a hotel, we ain't got tickets but we've booked rooms next to his - wanna come too ?"

Rock dude 1: "Yeah, cooool ! I'll bring the other dudes too - you sure we can fit 100 in a room ?"

Rock dude 2: “That'll be no worries ! Mind you dude, we apparently gotta eat loads of prunes in order to get ‘in’ with the 'in-crowd' so we can crash Bruce’s private room party."

Rock dude 1: "Blimey, that’s like weird ! I thought it was Bruce’s hedonistic sex, drugs and rock'n'roll lifestyle that get him so svelte – I’d never have put it down to him being regular with prunes ! …….. Err, but what if we all get the sh!ts ?”

Rock dude 2: “Got it covered dude, I’ve bought some Bostick so we can snort the fumes and wack some up our jacksie if we get the trots.”

Rock dude 1: “ ‘Anal Bostick ?!' Uhm, that’s like a really good name for rock group – dude, you rock !”

Of course the give away clue to the regular bash attendees will be the hundreds of empty guitar cases that'll be clogging the hotel foyer, i.e. for all the 'air guitars' ;)

Ps. Has anybody requested the Gatwick Manor install an outdoor pool, so that we can start chucking the tellies out the windows into it. :eek:

DIVINE WIND
8th Sep 2002, 06:46
Hey nitefiter, it's split enz
;) ;) ;)

Stratocaster
8th Sep 2002, 13:38
I can't wait for the band members of KISS to be hired as F/A and walk down the aisles with their stupid make-up, offering tea or coffee !

With a bit of luck, it should also solve the air-rage problem...

:D

S76Heavy
8th Sep 2002, 13:57
I agree, best of luck to Bruce, if he can enjoy two careers why not.
Does this mean that I can start a rock band, though?:)

I have control
8th Sep 2002, 17:32
Good luck Bruce, but don't spend toooo long in the cockpit because us hardcore Maiden fans (yes we do exist on pprune!) want to see you back in the studio with the boys!

nitefiter
9th Sep 2002, 07:02
Divine Wind
I thought thats how you spelt it but coudnt find the record to be sure.

Anti Skid On
9th Sep 2002, 08:24
As a still gonna get there wannabe (now nearly 40), and having just found out I can get my pension fund transferred out here to NZ it is stories like this that fill me with hope!

Taildragger67
9th Sep 2002, 08:54
Nitefiter

I think (hope?!) you'll also find that the Enz had their biggest hits in the '80s, not '70s.

Otherwise I'm older than I thought!!

But I thinkthere was a 70s rocker taking to the skies - wasn't Shirley Strachan doing some training for his commercial chopper licence when he became the Late, Great Shirl??

scroggs
9th Sep 2002, 11:50
Crash,

I'm sure the aviation-illiterate elements of the rock cognoscenti would turn their collective noses up at Bruce's a cappella renditions of 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips' and 'For the Wings of a Dove' at the Pprune inner-circle cocktail parties! I personally can't wait for his long-rumoured live demonstration of Austrian Yodelling which we've been teased with for our next wine-tasting.

TVs out the windows at the Manor? What a lovely idea for our next charity participation event......:D

PilotsPal
9th Sep 2002, 11:57
Expelled from Oundle for adulterating the headmaster's dinner? I wonder - would that headmaster's name have been Tr*pn*ll by any chance?

Nopax,thanx
9th Sep 2002, 12:23
Do what I did, Bruce....cut your hair for the interview, then grow it back again!!!!!:D :D :D

Eurekadelta
9th Sep 2002, 12:53
He previously flew for British World.

Whirlybird
9th Sep 2002, 13:00
Jeez guys, are you gonna tell EVERYONE that Bruce sings at Gatbashes? I haven't had time to book my place for the next one yet! :eek: :eek: :eek:

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Sep 2002, 13:33
Bruce Dickinson singing with Gary Newman, and John Travolta out front doing the dance steps.

Hobo
9th Sep 2002, 13:52
Didn't/doesn't Manfred Mann's saxophonist fly for Virgin Atlantic?............all we need now is a drummer & a couple of guitars.

No, no don't touch it....no don't even look at it

airbourne
9th Sep 2002, 14:03
Is the use of the word 'DUDE' a lot by crash dive an attempt to clutch onto his youth. Does he use words like 'Grovvy man' and 'Cool' a lot as well:D

Hagbard the Amateur
9th Sep 2002, 14:06
Hobo, are you nuts? If there's a drummer in the cockpit I ain't getting on the plane :D

Q How can you tell the drummer's riser isn't level?

A The dribble only falls from one side of their mouth.

Could you imagine Keith Moon in charge of a 737?

kopbhoy2
9th Sep 2002, 15:41
Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden's drummer) used to be a PPL - might still be one but I do remember reading something on the bands website about him not being an active pilot any more.

I guess Bruce's hearing is fine despite Long Beach :D

Good luck to the bloke, his music has put a smile on my face for many years now....:cool:

Diesel8
9th Sep 2002, 17:05
This just goes to show that aviation is a passion that knows no boundaries.

John Travolta is of course well known, rumour has it he applied with UAL a long time ago. Of course now he flies the B-707 amongst others, as previously discussed.

King Hussein of Jordan was an accomplished pilot.

Sure the list goes on and on.

At the end of the day, it still is the greatest job I can imagine, apparently as much a hoot as standing in front of tens of thousands of screaming fans.

CrashDive
9th Sep 2002, 22:33
airbourne - rather it's more like too much affinity with Cheech and Chong (http://www.cheechandchong.com/movies.html) movies, if you get my drift ;)

E.g. Up in Smoke (http://www.cheechandchong.com/up_in_smoke_vhs.html), Things are tough all over (http://www.cheechandchong.com/things_are_tough_all_over_.html), Nice dreams (http://www.cheechandchong.com/nice_dreams_vhs.html), Still smoking (http://www.cheechandchong.com/still_smokin_vhs.html)

All signs of a mis-spent youth ? Let’s hope so ! ;)

DrSyn
10th Sep 2002, 00:21
I gather that hormonal excesses and resultant rug-rats may be keeping some of our star performers away from this year's Christmas Gatbash. However it will still be a great Bash.

For those those above who never read the online de-briefs of former Gatbashes, and get to see the variety of talents that exist in aviation, here is one from last Christmas. http://ourworld.compuserve.co.uk/TheDrSyn/GB12/005+R.JPG

Some of this summer's Gatbash pics are here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58116&perpage=15&pagenumber=8).

Don't miss Xmas Gatbash 2002!

Descend to What Height?!?
10th Sep 2002, 07:15
Well done Bruce!!!!

Certainly give any one foolish enough to attempt a hijack on his flight cause for concern. Break into cockpit to be faced with co-pilot armed with a rapier!!! :eek: :D :eek:

Dont fly too much though, I want to see Maiden back on the road in the UK very soon!!:D :D

Firestorm
10th Sep 2002, 14:11
Apparently Carl Palmer of ELP has just got his CPL as well. It seems to be popular second career for retired rockers!

I bet the Astraeus Christmas parties are fun!

Bruce, if you still fence could we spa one day? Haven't fenced since school days, but still have the gear (and no better idea now..).:)

Hagbard the Amateur
10th Sep 2002, 14:21
I'm only BAF 2 Star but if there are any PPRuNers in my locality who are into fencing, I too would love to brush the dust off the foil.

Bob Down
11th Sep 2002, 08:24
Superb.

Would only start worrying when F/o Dickinson starts singing 'Aces High' over Dover!!!

Good on yer, Bruce!

BD (purely circumstantial coincidence in having the same initials!!)

Eff Oh
11th Sep 2002, 10:00
What a guy!!!!! Top 10 fencer, top rock band, now a 737 driver!!!! He should write a book. An inspiration to us all. The man is a real achiever, and good luck to him!!! :)
All the best to you Bruce if you are out there in PPRuNe land. :D

DIVINE WIND
11th Sep 2002, 19:36
TAILDRAGGER67
Shirley Strachan was a fixed wing pilot for a number of years.He was working towards his PPL(H) @ the time of his accident in august 01.
R.I.P.

Wedge
11th Sep 2002, 21:42
Bruce is allegedly 'out there' in PPRuNe land.....in fact he is a moderator here!

Well done Bruce on your new job. Is there no end to your talents!

kophboy - It seems indeed Long Beach failed to **** up his hearing for good!!!! :D

Oh and Eff Oh.....

He has written a book!! A novel called 'Lord Iffy Boatrace' published a few years ago!

Soggy
16th Sep 2002, 19:01
Good luck to Bruce. One question though, is Eddie the mascot going to be first officer when Bruce gets his first command!!!!!
That would be interesting eh??????
:mad: :p ;) :D :o :)

triple smudge
18th Oct 2002, 11:45
Good article on Bruce Dickinson in the G2 supplement the other day. "I find myself telling them (kids) to turn that racket down!... the irony is not lost on me". Great stuff.

There was a mention that the xmas bash band was a pilot-only thing, but that an exception had to be made to find a drummer. The author commented that this was a good thing (would you want a drummer at the controls, etc).

I've read that the xmas bash band is standing down this year... but if one of the dads-to-be is the outsider drummer, I'd like to volunteer. Perhaps it's time for the fraternity of airline pilot drummers to stand up and be counted. I was playing drums long before my first flying lesson, and to my knowledge I haven't yet choked on my own vomit.

Or, if it's any help to the band, I can also manage a fairly passable guitar. In fact, given the number of guitar enthusiasts I've met in flying, I can't believe there hasn't been a rush to fill the paternally-vacated shoes of the absent band members.

I even have a tenuous rock connection if that helps. Several years ago, in a former life as a teacher, I taught a 13-year-old to play the drum kit. Used to have jam sessions after school with him and some of his mates (no Maiden tunes, though... sorry). In 1998 I heard though his family that he was dropping out of Engineering at UCL to go full-time with his band (he had since taken up the bass). Sounds disastrous, right? So next Monday, I'm going to see him play in northwest London... some little venue called Wembley Arena. Sold out two nights running. And here I thought it was me that made the smart career change.

Nice guy, actually. If anyone deserves it, he does. I talk him up every chance I get. Like now. Those who fly with me are sick of it, I think. The thing is, he's after me to get him out to Waltham for a flying lesson. One day the skies may be softly humming with airline pilot rock stars.

So if anyone is in touch with any members of the band, including the front man, please pass on that there are probably more than a few of us out there who would be happy to help form a spin-off group. Anyone else with me on this one?

And no, as a sometime reader but seldom contributor, I'm not just looking for a free way into the party...

Smudge

criticalmass
19th Oct 2002, 11:10
Steve Morse (think he is now lead guitarist with Deep Purple) is also a commercial pilot but seems to have preferred to go back to performing on-stage. I particularly like his CD "High Tension Wires".:)

aztruck
20th Oct 2002, 11:21
Best to get in touch with Sick Squid to have a jam if your'e a drummer.
I know I'm off track here, but do some of the previous posts mean that we have a Pprune fencing team in the offing?
I believe KLM used to have their own club at Schipol, in fact, many years ago I fenced there for an evening.
Anybody out there who wants to dust off their pointy things, I fence in Victoria at the Swash n buckle fencing club Mondays and Wednesday evenings(roster permitting!!).

Hagbard the Amateur
20th Oct 2002, 14:09
To add to the celeb pilot list - apparently Blur are currently recording for their new album in Morocco as we speak. Alex James of the band flew there from the UK in his co-owned Beechcraft Bonanza.
He got a bit of help from the co-pilot - drummer, Dave Rowntree.

Hmmmm - and doesn't Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd have a hangar full of vintage craft?

fernytickles
3rd Dec 2002, 23:56
Alex Lifeson the genius guitarist with Rush is also a keen pilot. More famous flyers can be found here:

http://www.aerofiles.com/00stars.html

and a list of famous people killed in airplane crashes can be found here:

http://planecrashinfo.com/famous.htm

UP THE IRONS

Avius
4th Dec 2002, 01:47
.........wonder whether Angus Young (AC/DC) flies for TNT....

EPRman
4th Dec 2002, 07:26
fernytickles,

Nice to see somebody else on this board appreciates Big Al's talent. ;)