PDA

View Full Version : $55 for a Rotto Landing!!

On Reserves
7th Sep 2002, 07:36
G'day All,

I have just found out that in the "Draft Rottnest Island Management Plan 2002 - 2007" the Rottnest Island Management Board propose to increase "Aerodrome usage fees" to $55 (from the current $22) for aircraft under 2000kg
In addition you will be required to pay the "Admission fee" of $10.45 per adult and 55 cents per child.

I think that $55 (plus the admission fee) is pretty red hot when the average private flight or charter is on the island for only a few hours and there are no services at the aerodrome, won't be heading over for a coffee or a swim at those rates.

The plan is open for comment until the 27th of September

The address for comments is:
Principal Planning Officer
Rottnest Island Management Plan 2002-2007
Rottnest Island Authority
P.O. Box 693
FREMANTLE WA 6959
or fax to (08) 9432 9301

Further information is available from Ms Jo Bunting (08) 9432 9324 at the Rottnest Island Board.

I'll certainly be writing in to let them know how unreasonable this is.

Regards,
OR

max_power747
7th Sep 2002, 11:56
"On Reserves",

I think you'll find that the $55 fee covers the $10.45 "admission fee".- that's how i read the proposal anyway. I agree totally. how unreasonable is it to increase the price by $33 in one hit??!!? It is even more expensive than a landing at Perth ($27)! Apart from the ridiculous fee, safety issues will arise from this. All too often, i hear stories from pilots flying into rottnest about other aircraft in the CTAF not making radio calls. obviously this is so they dont have to pay the already expensive $22 landing fee. With an increase to $55, do you think there will be even more pilots following suit?? i think so! This is where i believe CASA should step in due to the obvious safety concerns. So when i write a letter about this situation, i will also be adressing CASA, and i urge everybody else to do the same.

One last thing. The proposal states that there are approx 1000 landings at rottnest every year. OK, so that is about 3 a day, right? Correct me if i am wrong, but doesnt Rottnest Island Air Taxi serve the island a few times a day? what about all the private aircraft that are constantly using the strip?? i guess they forgot about the rest of us?!!?

Anyway, that's my two cents worth,

cheers, max

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Sep 2002, 14:43
I have some copies of this proposal in my office if anyone wants to see it and respond appropriately!! 250% is a big jump, and I haven't seen any improvements in the facilities there lately.

For that price you would expect a tower, fire service, fuel, maintenence, an ILS or two, PAL lighting, an into-wind runway and a terminal building that's open all daylight hours and manned by a happy Rottnest Island Authority person in a quokka outfit at the till...who doesn't mind a bit of abuse from punters when they have to fork out the landing fee on the spot. (could solve the problem of the "stealth" aeroplanes in the circuit) How about free bikes to get you to the cafe, free snorkels, bus rides and a cuddly quokka toy to take home with you for the young'uns... Even then it would be WAY too much. Ayers Rock is the only one I know of who get away with that sort of fee.

In fact it would just be nice to be able to get in and out of the aerodrome without having to climb over the fence.

They are probably terrified of public liability, so let them know that there is a safety issue and they might sit up and listen.

For good measure I've also told them I'm tired of collecting their aerodrome fees for them and will be invoicing them for this service if the price increases by more than the CPI.

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Sep 2002, 00:48
I like the sound of the guy in a quokka suit at the till. :D

$55 is a bit rich. Question though: do they allow you to park over night there?? At what price?

PAF

Icarus2001
8th Sep 2002, 08:18
Seems to me they would like to price themselves out of business?

In other words, close the airstrip. Convert it to a small helipad for emergency use and voila, lots of available flat land looking over the lake.

kez
9th Sep 2002, 04:20
I am planning a private flight to Rotto in early October, as part of a "Big Nav" out of BK, via Centre, Topend & West Coast. 'never been to Perth before and thought it'd be a good idea to have a look.
It's not good news to know that if you want to drop in to these places for a couple of hours to have a look and a cuppa, it's gonna cost you approx another third of your flight cost just to land. :confused:
And from previous posts (above), there isn't even facilities there? and you have to climb a fence to get out?....
Bugga. It may be a part of the itinerary that will have to be removed. Perhaps catching a bus to Freemantle for a cuppa will have to suffice.
Already budgetted for the huge landing fee at YAYE, can't take much more! :(

Islander Jock
9th Sep 2002, 06:34
Kez,

Don't be too put off from what you have read above. So far, there is only a draft paper released on the issue. In addition to the airport fees a broad range of other issues are covered. Obviously the Rottnest Island Board is looking at ways to meet their ever increasing costs. Their top heavy administration perhaps being one of them?

The increases, if any, are not scheduled to kick in for some time yet. Anyway you don't really have to climb the fence if the terminal is closed. Rather just walk about 40m or so to the vehicle gate to the east of the terminal. If Rotto Air Taxi are operating though and they do most days, then the terminal will be open. Quokkas are known to actually hop in (and poop) in the terminal building.

Have a read of ERSA - there is a RH circuit on rwy 09 and we try not to upset the locals by minimising flights directly over the settlement. Bit hard that last bit though when doing a practice NDB approach ;)

Buses arrive on the hour and 1/2 hour to take you to the settlement or it is about an 800m walk. Same bus leaves the settlement at *:55 and *:25. (free service)

Oh, and try and get in there before the sea breeze kicks in. ;) Guaranteed 90deg X wind every time.

It's well worth the trip.

Enjoy :)

kez
9th Sep 2002, 07:02
Islander Jock,

Thanks for the clearer perspective on the Rotto situation. WILCO on ERSA, and thanks for the Tip RE SeaBreeze.... That's one of the things that's going to be interesting about the West Coast.... ie Sun Sets on Ocean, Sea Breeze is a Westerly (not easterly)..etc

I'm looking forward to flying about in WA, and looking at the procs in GAAPs farther from home (Perth & Adelaide).

Thanks again ... will plan a morning flight & hope the WX gives us some Sun :)

Cheers.

OOPS, almost forgot to mention... Interesting about the Instrument Approach taking you over the settlement ... but I guess if I'll need an approach to get in, it might not be worth visiting on such a day, no?

scruzer
9th Sep 2002, 10:30
As Jock says - prevailing afternoon winds in summer are souwesters which present a gusty crosswind in the 15 - 30 kt range, sometimes more.

It may be worth bearing this in mind as the mornings are usually light easterlies, giving the unwary a false sense of security, until they return to the strip to find the "Freo Doctor" has really kicked in.

Someone ended up in the lake at t/o over there last year sometime with 4 pob with more than a little help from the good Doctor.

Also watch out for Peacocks on the strip. They seem to enjoy prancing out when you're on late final.

Also a fair bit of sheer on late final coming over the dunes for 27.

Still well worth the flight and be sure to do a circuit or 2 of the isle - magnificent from the air.

Oh - and about the proposed increase in l/f's - disgraceful. Seems in line with all the other price rises over there lately. How long before Rotto is out of Joe Averages budget ?

kez
9th Sep 2002, 23:15
Thanks for the info Scruzer. Will be sure to do a lap of the Island, and watch for Peacocks / Windshear.
I guess a late breakky on the Island would be the go, so we can nick off abt 11am and skip the right-angled windsock...

Cheers