PDA

View Full Version : rear crew

RCOV 2 ENG
6th Sep 2002, 12:57
we know that air angs' are on the way out (albeit maybe not too soon!), butwhat is going to happen to them?
are they going to be remustered into wsop and alm roles, or are they simply going to disappear?
i know that they are solely being recruited from serving airmen at the moment, but how many are they taking on? and for how long?
is there a role for air engs' on any of the new big birds when they finally enter service?
:confused: still fancy air eng though!

A and C
6th Sep 2002, 19:37
Play your cards right and this could be a very good career move the first thing is to get yourself on to the flight deck as an air eng ,this will give you a very good seat from which you can learn a lot for you next move.

The next move is to learn to fly , the RAF has some very cheap flying clubs (at Benson they only charge £ 48/hour !) and put together about 150 hours.

Use all the time that you have sitting around waiting for something to happen to study for the ATPL exams and then the painfull bit you will have to pay the going rate for the CPL/IR training but whin you leave the RAF you will be very well placed for a flying job.

Perhaps some of the sting of paying for the could come from the RAF as you leave in the form of grants for re training ?.

RCOV 2 ENG
6th Sep 2002, 20:21
A and C

thanks very much for that advice.

must be a mind reader!

cheers!;)

A and C
7th Sep 2002, 11:04
Some thing I left out the flight engineer time can be used towards up to one third of the hours needed for issue of the ATPL.

shrek
7th Sep 2002, 17:34
A & C

Interesting to read that FE's can have up to 1/3 of the required flying hours exempt towards the issue of an ATPL, where can this gem of information be found, officially????

Rgds:confused:

DuckDogers
7th Sep 2002, 20:24
Female Air Loadies are VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gr8 stamina too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEagle
8th Sep 2002, 08:11
Accreditation towards a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) will be granted to holder of a UK Flight Engineer Licence. Such licence holders will be credited with 50% of their flight engineer time up to a maximum credit of 250 hours. This 250 hours may be credited against the 1500 hours total pilot experience and the 500 hours multi-pilot experience requirements for the JAR-FCL ATPL(A).

Probably your best bet would be to make sure that you can hold a JAR Class 1 medical before you do anything else, then learn to fly as follows:

1. Obtain a JAR-FCL PPL(A). Most Service Flying Clubs can offer this.

2. Build 150 hours total pilot experience to allow you to start the CPL modular course, including distance learning of JAR-FCL ATPL theoretical subjects.

3. Achieve 200 hours total pilot experience, including the specific CPL requirements. Much of this can be done at a Service Flying Club, although some flying has to be on a 'complex' type.

4. Pass the JAR-FCL ATPL(A) exams.

5. Pass the CPL Skill Test.

6. Perhaps consider obtaining a UK Flight Engineer licence to take advantage of the 250 hours credit. Sorry, but I don't know whether any/some/none/all of the JAR-FCL ATPL(A) exams would count towards the UK Flight Engineer licence. It may well 'go JAR' soon, so check with the Belgrano.

For your ATPL passes to count towards a future ATPL, you must then obtain an IR(A) within 36 months of passing the last ATPL(A) exam. Even then, the exam passes will lapse 7 years after the validity date of the most recent renewal IR(A) entered in your CPL. But this is where having a Flight Engineer licence will help you as you won't take as long to obtain the qualifying ATPL hours; however, you don't need an ATPL(A) to fly an airliner, but you do need a CPL(A)/IR, MCC and Type Rating - and if you get a job with RyanAir or EasyJet, it won't take long to obtain 1500 hours TT and 500 multi-pilot in any case.

A and C
8th Sep 2002, 10:18
I have to thank Beagle for saving me a lot of typing with the very full answer to your question.

For those of you near Benson the flying club can be contacted on 01491 827220.

And just in case you are wondering this is the way I got to a command on a jet airliner.

BEagle
8th Sep 2002, 11:12
Thanks, A and C.

Before long there will be a RAF Flying Clubs' Asociation website. This will give details of all Service clubs and what they can offer.

Whilst it might also seem attractive to obtain a FI Rating in order to defray your own costs, beware that this end of the market is getting rather saturated at present. Things may change, of course, when the airlines begin recruiting again - as surely they must!

A and C
8th Sep 2002, 13:40
Beagle without trying to sound like a member of your fan club you are quite right the airline recruting at the top end has started with captains and SFO,s with type ratings on the A320 and NG737 being snapped up as soon as they come onto the market and turboprop pilots getting offers of jet type ratings.

The market is on the move all be it slowly at the moment but I see the pace increasing in the new year at all levels but with the major demand being for people who can hold a jet command.

Wanna job Beagle ?.

BEagle
8th Sep 2002, 15:25
Thanks, but no thanks! But I know a few who would!

Strong rumours that Virgin will be looking for people again soon, demographic trends will take their toll at BA and a variety of DEP posts will be on offer across the board.