PDA

View Full Version : Airlines of SA & NJS contract

sunstate
6th Sep 2002, 10:11
Word in these parts is that Airlines of SA have lost the NJS Moomba contract that they've held for a few years now. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?? Anyone know why??? & who's picked it up. My source told me that this will be another nail on the coffin for ASA after a bad run with maintenance & management. Apparently they've had a bandit sitting on the ground for 2years now?? I hope for the sake of the employees this is not correct. I would have thought that business would have been booming without a full scale KD operation to compete against ( & no QFLink dominating the scene- unlike the eastcoast!!)???

olderbutyzer
6th Sep 2002, 10:43
Will follow that one up. Last I heard they were supposed to be getting a couple of Beech 1900's to use on that run...:confused:

JetRacer
6th Sep 2002, 12:44
I was under the impression that National Jet was running a Dash 8 on the run.

The new contract calls for the use of a BAE146, hence ASA wont be operating it, National Jet will. :)

Hope that helps :confused:

JetRacer

Master of the House
6th Sep 2002, 12:54
Jetracer, i think the run in question is not the moomba adelaide run as you suggest but the moomba shuttle which is a chieftain that runs to jackson and ballera. I too heard the 1900 would be operating???

Java
6th Sep 2002, 12:58
I think you might find the contract that you are talking about might be one that used a Chieftan, run out of Augusta or leigh creek or even moomba, not sure on that part. I think it was used on smaller hops maybe even between mine sites or something.
Way of some of the ASA lower time pilots to get their hours up.
Correct me if I am wrong, been out of the loop for a bit.

cheers

The Voice
6th Sep 2002, 21:44
NJS once upon a time plied the shuttle route with a Chieftan but in '99 in a cost cutting exercise gave that up to ASA .. those pilots being absorbed into the NJS system. Since that time NJS have flown ADL- Moomba with a Dash.

But, a zillion years ago when Wazza actually kicked off the NJS concept it was with a 146QT .. (ADL-Moomba during daylight and freight by nightlight) so, perhaps it is simply a return to the days of yore ...

apacau
8th Sep 2002, 02:16
Can anyone confirm that ADL-Moomba will now be operated by a 146 which will operate mining charters to the area from both ADL and BNE???

If so, what will the role for the Dash-8-300 be??

Capn Bloggs
9th Sep 2002, 06:00
The Voice,

It was actually the mighty NJC, a pax machine, that Wazza started with to Moomba. The "QT" you mentioned was actually a QC that came a bit later on when NJC went into Australian Airlink.

Cheers!

PS: Woomera, when is prune going to get a Spel Checker??!!

Freek Flyer
9th Sep 2002, 08:57
Ok, lets clear all this up.

146 (NH-NJA) started ypad-yoom-ylle-ybne (and occational ypad-ybne) runs on sept 1st. ASA operate a chieftain on behalf of NJS out of moomba to ballera 4 times a day. Word is a turbine will be used in the chieftain runs soon, still unknown what or who will operate! Lets hope ASA can keep it so that MORE people in this industry don't lose their jobs in the near future!!!

Cheers all

ResBunny
9th Sep 2002, 10:37
Just for the history of it all, seem to remember long ago when
Lloyd Aviation operated a F28 to ADL/Moomba.

gear_up^
10th Sep 2002, 03:21
And even longer, when the former Airlines of South Australia (when Ansett owned) operated 2-3 F27's a day Adelaide to Moomba and return!!

Jungmeister
10th Sep 2002, 12:13
And even before that when Williams General Aviation operated a fleet of PA31s daily ex AD. Some callsigns that I can remember are WGG, WGK, WGI and the unfortunate CIZ. They were followed by the mighty C500 WGJ.

And of course before all of that in about 1970 or earlier, one of the first PA31s in Australia VHDAP flown by Tony K, now a principal of Airlines of South Australia. The company was Aviation Services at PF. I believe that contract was for DELHI (Australia) Petroleum hence DAP.

Time for my warm milk now and toddle off to bed!:D

The Voice
11th Sep 2002, 11:02
and WGJ was plying the skies between PH and another minesite in the middle of the GAFA while I was tormenting the ears of many in W.A.

memories ....:)

yowie
11th Sep 2002, 12:23
WGI a tad unfortunate also!!:( :(