PDA

View Full Version : Noise cancelling headphones

Self Loading Freight
6th Sep 2002, 05:40
I fancied a pair of these... in particular, the Sony NC5s at $100, but can I find a retailer in London who sells them? A friend told me that they're no longer available because somebody fell over while wearing a set and nobody wants the legal liability, but that may be an urban legend.

Is there anywhere in Heathrow that still sells them? I'd rather not go to Dixons, whose 'tax free' prices are beyond ridicule, but I'll even consider there...

R

PAXboy
6th Sep 2002, 11:43
We had a thread on these in this forum last month, have a look at that.

I have the Sony units (they make/made two models) and think they are brilliant.

You can ring Dixons at LHR, the phone numbers are available through the Dixons web site.

Boss Raptor
6th Sep 2002, 15:26
Have the Sony NC5 and use them everywhere, at home and on the plane...have never tried any other models so cant really comment broadly, but I am very happy with these...

Jet II
6th Sep 2002, 16:41
These models are available in the states from $59 - go to www.pricegrabber.com (http://www.pricegrabber.com) and do a search for the models you want.

Most of the listed retailers ship internationally.

Self Loading Freight
13th Sep 2002, 00:43
When in doubt, go to the source... a quick trip to Fry's in San Jose resulted in a pair of Panasonics for $49.95. There were six other models available, but these looked nicest for the price -- no way of comparative testing, alas.

Of course, any saving was soaked up not only in the $15 cab fare each way but the essential extra purchases that had to be made to justify the pilgrimage... now to put them to the VS20 Back Of The Bus test tomorrow.

R

The_Banking_Scot
13th Sep 2002, 19:08
Hi,

However do not spill your drink on the IFE on the VS20 or you will be making a detour to Winnipeg!!:D

Regards
TBS (VS frequent Flyer)

Self Loading Freight
15th Sep 2002, 01:58
Hi, honey, I'm home!

The headphones were an excellent investment. They don't block all the noise -- it's a bit like wearing a pair of the ear defenders they give you on a gun range -- but they knock it down a significant amount. It's worth wearing them even if you're not listening to stuff, but with the IFE they make a huge difference.

Unforch, the IFE on my seat went haywire and randomly selected modes and channels. The only place it seemed happy was on the movie channel dedicated to a Sandra Bullock festival, and there even a pair of high-tech headphones can't block out the sound of internal screaming.

R