PDA

View Full Version : El Salvador

aspinwing
5th Sep 2002, 23:11
I may have the opportunity to accompany Mrs A. to El Salvador on a 6 month grant project.

Can't find anything online about their civil aviation requirements ( except the director General's address and phone number).

Anyone know if I can convert my Canadian FW & RW tickets (5KTT) (inc. IFR) or would I need to jump through the FAA hoops first?

Anyone know of any employment leads - except Groupo TACA - I would prefer RW.

I owe you "muchas cervezas!" :cool:

Panama Jack
6th Sep 2002, 13:31
What's a Canadian 5KTT, FW and RW ticket?

aspinwing
6th Sep 2002, 13:44
5000+ hours total time

Fixed wing Commercial Pilot Licence

Rotary wing Commercial Pilot Licence

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2002, 02:09
Okely dokely. Now I understand.

You'll probably find that Grupo Taca is the only game in town. You might want to see some of the earlier postings, but it seems that not many pilots consider it to be a model employer. In addition, although I am not certain on what the latest is in El Salvador, most Central American countries restrict professional licenses only to citizens of their own countries. It becomes a frustrating, head banging experience, but I wouldn't hold my hopes high if I were you on the fixed wing stuff. There are a lot of helicopters in Guatemala, once again though, very restrictive if you are not a citizen.

Enjoy El Salvador. It's a very small country and the crime is alarming and in many ways a probogation of the last few decades of government encouraged violence (this is what some of these people have associated with "normal"). If you are looking at getting away to some unspoiled jungle, you'll be disappointed as the country is almost completely deforested and settlements are built up the side of volcanos. In spite of all this, you will find that most Salvadorans are some of the warmest, friendliest people in the Central American region (not unlike Costa Ricans).

BlenderPilot
13th Sep 2002, 23:33
is that with a little patience, money and resourcefulness you can pretty much achieve anything, don't be discouraged because someone says "it can't be done" a good option would also be COPA, they are owned by continental, and its not difficult to get in there, I have a friend who just joined with 750 TT, and is now flying the 737, he had only the FAA CPL.

Panama Jack
16th Sep 2002, 16:40
Is your friend Panamanian or Central American?

BlenderPilot
29th Sep 2002, 03:05
My friend who got hired by COPA is Mexican