PDA

View Full Version : What happens to youthism?

OBK!
5th Sep 2002, 17:13
Greetings!

It's coming up to starting my ATPL ground school, and training. However up until this day, I have always enjoyed clubbin/pub crawling etc.

I just wanted to know, what happens to all this if I got the right hand seat in say a charter airline? <being very optimistic> Any views from those experienced would be much appreciated.

Cheshire cat EGHH
5th Sep 2002, 17:25
Ok, I have been out with quite a lot of pilots now and they get completely Sozzled!!..

Pilots are traditionally know as drunks, so we have to make sure we keep this tradition.. I work very hard at it!.

But seriously, it doesn't effect you at all.

All depends on what your working of course!, they aren't asking you to give up your social life when you first get your job you know, you still laugh, cry, and drink yourself into oblivion.

OBK!
5th Sep 2002, 17:36
Ladies and gentlemen, the perfect answer!

I was getting a bit worried! Thanks!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

monkeyboy
5th Sep 2002, 19:44
You might want to go easy on the pop whilst you're doing your groundschool, mind, as you have to shove so much useless stuff into your brain and we all know the pop magically makes brain cells vanish into thin air! Once the groundschool's out of the way, hell, go for it!! :)

Send Clowns
5th Sep 2002, 22:30
Notice that many flying clubs have a bar - ours has a decent one that young Cheshire used to work on occasion. This is a hint as to the attitude to drinking :D

OBK!
5th Sep 2002, 22:44
Infact can someone clarify on the limits if your a pilot of a jet aircraft for example 757...what's the limits?

Thanks

redsnail
5th Sep 2002, 22:56
It will be promulagated in the company ops manual and will follow the civil aviation law of that country.
In Oz, it was 8 hours bottle to throttle and you cannot be affected by alcohol or medication prior flight.
Think about it, would you want to be flown by someone who is hungover?

FRIDAY
6th Sep 2002, 00:54
Well I am about to start training too full time and will ease up slightly on the booze, BUT NOT MUCH ,I need my sanity which stems from beer and girlies, which funnily enough also stems from beer.
Also in my current job I travel a fair bit and there is one particular hotel i visit every month or two and without fail its full of cargo pilots on a stopover, there mainly FED-EX chaps and they are more then happy to join up with fellow alco's as my colleagues and I invited them to join us, and lets just say due to our antics the rest of the bar clients left due to UFO's and the like, in 1 case it was the FO doing the backstroke down the bar.:D :rolleyes: :D
Age was not the issue, Gravity was. Absolutely memorable, I was on the floor crying with laughter.These guy's were flying out at 07:00 that morning and they had troble identifying the floor and the ceiling at 02:00ish aaahhh-emmmm.;)

whisperbrick
6th Sep 2002, 11:55
no one has mentioned the fact that when you do fly commercially weekends off will be as rare as rocking horse sh$t !

this is the major disadvantage........who the heck wants to go clubbing on that favourite day for a banging night out..TUESDAY !

Drinking culture is quite rife in airlines and you won't be short of takers for a drink in the bar on a nightstop.

As per limtis...8 hours is absolute min, most ops manuals also have a limt for the preceeding 24 hrs.

As i understand it the CAA take the view that any alcohol in the bloodstream 'inhibts ability to operate' so you can't claim you have had your three units and are ok !

JohnnyPharm
7th Sep 2002, 22:28
I find it completely unbelievable that commercial pilots would be drinking at 2am and flying at 7am and be proud of it. Although there was that recent case of two pilots in the US being hauled out of the cockpit after running up a $300 bar bill 2hours previously.