PDA

View Full Version : Retaking ATPL Theory after 3 year expiry and CPL training hours validity

Beethoven
13th May 2024, 09:12
Hi all,

Long story short, passed my final ATPL theory in June 2021. 3 year clock starts for completion of CPL issue.

I have completed the entire CPL course and had recommendation for test issued HOWEVER it will not be possible for me to do the Skills Test before my exams expire thus I am resigned to sitting them all again in order to have a CPL issued ( I didn't waste the first set though as I had a Flight Intructor rating issued so I don't feel a TOTAL numpty). So, facing up to this fact I have a couple of questions.

1. To resit my 14 ATPL exams, will I need to go through a school again (with the compulsory groundschool etc) or can I sit them independently of a school, having already attended during my first set?

2. Will my actual CPL flying training expire (or just the recommendation for test?) Whilst I really don't mind doing the theory exams again, I DO mind if the flying course hours become null and void.

I have done as much research as possible on these subjects but drawn a bit of a blank.Apllogies if I've missed the answers somewhere obvious.

Best wishes.

rudestuff
13th May 2024, 10:24
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Assuming you took the sensible route and already have an IR, you technically only need to take the CPL exams.

My biggest question is how/why on earth did you get an FI rating (requiring 150 hours PIC) but not a CPL (requiring only 100) ??

Try to book an exam online and see if your old school sign-off is still active. If it is then bite the bullet and book the exams. Otherwise maybe contact them and ask them to reinstate it.

You have at least 2 weeks until your exams expire, how come you can't fly one flight?

rj2208
13th May 2024, 14:55
You have 3 years from the date that you sat your last ATPL exams, so double check those dates!

Beethoven
14th May 2024, 05:29
Hi both, thanks for the replies. Rudestuff with regards to why I find myself in this situation, I decided to become a career flight instructor and got my FI rating on the back of my PPL (i was way past the hours requirement for both CPL and FI courses so that wasn't a factor). The chance of a decent FI job came up through a personal contact (PPL level instruction) but time was a factor so I elected to get the FI rating first then at least I would be able to start earning and flying professionally. They could not hold the job open for too long long so it was straight onto an FI course then straight to work. My desire to get a CPL is so I can instruct for the CPL as though I'm an FI I'm still interested in career progression .

Through personal problems and some bad choices I find myself in this position so unfortunately it is as it is but I'm not giving up and will resit. I'm working on the slim possibility off getting a test done in the next couple of weeks but it's far from certain.

I have done a bit more digging and it seems resitting may need an ATO but only with regards to "sufficient study" rather than the whole course. I think. Either way I'll do what I need to. My main concern is the expiry of any CPL training hours already completed.

​​​​​​Thanks for the replies,

Kind regards.

​​​​​​

rudestuff
14th May 2024, 06:54
All perfectly understandable. Off the top of my head I'd say there is a limit between finishing a course and taking the test, 6 months rings a bell? I would spend every waking hour hounding the flight school and FE to get a slot to fly the test, don't give up until the bitter end!