PDA

View Full Version : Into to FW Performance .... Short Course

ATPMBA
11th May 2024, 14:02
Hi,
Has anyone taken or know of the "Intro to Fixed Wing Performance and Flying Qualities Testing" short course at the National Test Pilot school in Mojave, California.
Is the course very technical, like you need to know how to do differential calculus equations? Or more hands on, recording and reporting on flight parameters. As a pilot would this acquired knowledge help you in your career?

Thank you for your replies.

ahwalk01
11th May 2024, 15:24
It would focus on aerodynamics and also data collection. It’s only of use for flight testing, not commercial aviation.

Are you planning to do the course? I can recommend better options.

ATPMBA
11th May 2024, 18:47
Yes, please advise me on alternatives. It seems like Mojave, CA is a hotbed for aviation and space flight.

john_tullamarine
11th May 2024, 23:51
My exposure to NTPS is rather dated, now. Did a couple of courses many years ago. One sounds very much like the item which is of interest here. I thought that the then course material and (limited) flying was excellent.

It’s only of use for flight testing, not commercial aviation.

Would tend to disagree a little. Are such courses necessary for the civil commercial flyer ? Of course not. Are they of value ? Definitely.

ahwalk01
12th May 2024, 09:15
They don't cover any aspect of commercial aviation. They're of use to a pilot but not career wise. Ie job related. For a 68yo poster.

if you have money to burn I'd recommend www.piston2jet.com but again if the aim is commercial it's misplaced.

​​