PDA

View Full Version : EK Accelerated Command

Tricia Takanawa
6th May 2024, 14:58
As per the title, looking for some more info on this.

Currently narrowbody capt in the UK, looking for a change. Have flown long-haul, but only in the RHS, so not eligible for DEC.

Does the scheme work, or is it a carrot to get you in, and then you get stuck as an FO for the next 6 years?

If you get put forward for a CMD course, what is the failure rate?

Seems a little risky giving up the LHS, but if its a well trodden path that works as advertised, then I might apply.

Thanks in advance :)

SunnyTheSemen
6th May 2024, 15:40
Works like clockwork - Nearly everybody has no problem and moves back to the LHS very swiftly .

737a
6th May 2024, 16:13
I just have one question if I am currently rated on Boeing. What are the total PIC hours needed if I have the 1000 hours covered? Do I still need 2000 total in command? Again only Boeing Command hours here

corporal klinger
6th May 2024, 16:22
Sunny, imho you stopped being funny about 10 posts ago

Tricia Takanawa
6th May 2024, 17:38
Works like clockwork - Nearly everybody has no problem and moves back to the LHS very swiftly .

Thanks for the reply. Struggling to work out if this is tongue in cheek or not…

gehenna
6th May 2024, 18:46
Do NOT believe a word Sunny says.

Do some more research before jumping.

Jack D
6th May 2024, 19:11
I respectfully sugggest that a job offer should be your first step . Questions about accelerated command etc will be answered during the selection process , not always accurately I might add .

Wizofoz
7th May 2024, 00:41
They were offering accelerated command when I joined (as a DEC) in the 2000s. They summarily decided not to honour it and people who joined with a promise of 6 months to command had to wait over three years- and even then only because the growth meant the slots were available.

Beware!!

VThokie2
7th May 2024, 09:40

Currently narrowbody capt in the UK, looking for a change. Have flown long-haul, but only in the RHS, so not eligible for DEC.

Does the scheme work, or is it a carrot to get you in, and then you get stuck as an FO for the next 6 years?

Seems a little risky giving up the LHS, but if its a well trodden path that works as advertised, then I might apply.

It’s a carrot to get you in. They dust off that marketing gimmick every few years!

Right20deg
7th May 2024, 11:02
It is an arabic airline and all that brings with it. It operates from a place called the sandpit. There are over 100 different nationalities on the flight deck. It is driven by fear.
Why take the risk ?

nickler
7th May 2024, 17:16

It actually does work as advertised but remember that our job is and always will be performance driven, I.e. if the wrong (powerful) guy does not like you for whatever reason whilst everybody else does like you, then things might get complicated. Always leave a job for a new one on the same seat.

Bluffontheriver123
7th May 2024, 18:39
It works fine as long as you have the talent to match your experience. The candidates that have the most difficulty come from less ‘rigorous’ operational backgrounds. Most of the top LC airline pilots have no issues. The numbers are the numbers and you must meet every requirement, don’t bother applying until you do. 1999.9 = no, 2000 = yes

Bluffontheriver123
7th May 2024, 18:47
The policies change to widen the net then change back when they realize the new candidates don’t match the training course. They learnt the lesson in the 2000s that BAe146 Captains did not necessarily understand long haul and changed the requirements after multiple training failures. The policies appear to lack logic, an A400M pilot is probably just as capable and experienced as any other Airbus pilot. But they got bitten in the arse the last time they tried to take TP guys so changed policies to reduce training risk.

rmcdonal
8th May 2024, 04:50
But they got bitten in the arse the last time they tried to take TP guys so changed policies to reduce training risk.

Can't have been bitten that badly, the current requirements for NTR FO allow turbo-prop pilots.
Minimum of 2,000 hours total flying time on turboprop or jets with MTOW of >20T (excluding P3, rotary and single/multi-engine piston aircraft).

​​​​​​​The batch of TP guys they took last time are either in the pipeline to upgrade, or are already Captains.

Bluffontheriver123
8th May 2024, 06:41
Excellent.

Can't have been bitten that badly, the current requirements for NTR FO allow turbo-prop pilots.
Minimum of 2,000 hours total flying time on turboprop or jets with MTOW of >20T (excluding P3, rotary and single/multi-engine piston aircraft).

The batch of TP guys they took last time are either in the pipeline to upgrade, or are already Captains.

Rear
8th May 2024, 08:22
a question i have is: when the company talks about airbus fbw, do they include the a220? it's an airbus fbw and it's over 50T but it's really a bombardier under the skin

Tricia Takanawa
8th May 2024, 08:39
Thanks for all of the replies.
Looks like if the stars align, then its a good option. But not without risk. Whilst I am ready for a change, I think I just need to be patient and wait it out here.

santacruz
8th May 2024, 09:51
I respectfully sugggest that a job offer should be your first step . Questions about accelerated command etc will be answered during the selection process , not always accurately I might add .

Terrible advice! Do your research FIRST. There is plenty of information out there regarding accelerated commands at EK in the past.

SunnyTheSemen
8th May 2024, 16:57
Sunny, imho you stopped being funny about 10 posts ago

don’t care about your opinion , it’s a rumor site not stand up.

Pif Paf
12th May 2024, 05:11
Just be aware:

Recruitment - just want to get you through the door.once you’re here job done.they have no influence on training or fleet .
Fleet -do upgrade interviews, if they don’t like you then you don’t get upgraded,simple.
Training - separate from fleet, if you’re not meeting their standards, you fail that’s it!

In short,ompany short of experienced pilots, easy way to get that experience on the books is by accelerated command and direct entry. Accelerated; the moment you join you’re increasing the experience levels in RHS so job done. Whether you upgrade quicker or not doesn’t really matter, all they want is experience in RHS. DEC; moment you join they can say we have experience in LHS. if you fail course (like a few have done recently), no problem you can stay in RHS and they gain your experience! Either way they win!

basically it’s a numbers game, at moment one they’re not winning!
let’s wait and see what pay review and profit share are!

nickler
12th May 2024, 10:31
Just be aware:

Recruitment - just want to get you through the door.once you’re here job done.they have no influence on training or fleet .
Fleet -do upgrade interviews, if they don’t like you then you don’t get upgraded,simple.
Training - separate from fleet, if you’re not meeting their standards, you fail that’s it!

In short,ompany short of experienced pilots, easy way to get that experience on the books is by accelerated command and direct entry. Accelerated; the moment you join you’re increasing the experience levels in RHS so job done. Whether you upgrade quicker or not doesn’t really matter, all they want is experience in RHS. DEC; moment you join they can say we have experience in LHS. if you fail course (like a few have done recently), no problem you can stay in RHS and they gain your experience! Either way they win!

basically it’s a numbers game, at moment one they’re not winning!
let’s wait and see what pay review and profit share are!

Could not have said it better.

p.s. I have spent 20 years at EK…