PDA

View Full Version : Restricted class II - can anyone help?

wetnose
23rd Jan 2001, 16:01
HI
I've got a class 2 medical, but with a restriction not to fly at night

I was wondering - is it possible to get a restriction like this removed after holding the medical for a while, because I'd like to get a night rating at some point

Thanks all

ariel
23rd Jan 2001, 16:51
Hello, this is my first time on this forum.

Could I elaborate on the above question?

What SORT of restrictions CAN be placed on either a class 1 or a class 2 medical? I've heard they can range from no flying at nightime, (as above), or even that a safety pilot must be carried.

Can anyone elighten me as to the restrictions, and the conditions that merit them

Thank you all

ariel

Lawyerboy
23rd Jan 2001, 17:07
No idea about all potential restrictions but I, like you, have a restricted Class II prohibiting flying at night or in a/c not fitted with a radio.

I have deficient colour vision, with difficulty distinguishing certain shades of red from certain shades of green. This means, I assume, that the CAA aren't keen on me flying around at times when I might need to tell whether or not the a/c at my 2 o'clock is flying towards me or away from me from his lights alone or trying to tell which runway is in use without ATC telling me.

You can, of course, get restrictions lifted; my colour vision isn't all that bad, and a trip down to LGW to do the lantern test would, probably, get them removed if I could be bothered. At the moment I've no intention of either flying at night or without radio so I'm quite happy.

[This message has been edited by Lawyerboy (edited 23 January 2001).]