View Full Version : USB BT Dongle - long shot

rans6andrew
2nd May 2024, 19:45
Just before Covid struck I bought a mini BlueTooth USB dongle, I can't remember the brand. The only label on it just says V5.0. It has no buttons or obvious control features and came without any driver S/W.

It claimed to be Windows 8 compatible but when I tried to kick it into life it was ignored by my only Windows machine, plugged it in and it never registered as being there. Nada response.

So, two questions.

1) How might I be able to do something to wake it up/pair it with my phone?

2) If I am able to wake it up and pair it will it stay paired if taken and plugged into something else.

The reason I ask is this. My new car has a USB socket and a built in wireless phone charger. It doesn't support a wireless version of Android Auto but apparently does let you use a USB lead to connect. This is a pity as you have to remember to connect when you get into the car, every time. So, I would like the dongle to be paired to my phone before I get the car and have it stay paired for ever. Then I can put the dongle into the socket and pop the phone into the box and forget it. One concern I have is that if you pop the cable connected phone into the wireless charger, a conveniently placed box in the central storage area behind the handbrake and gear controls, the phone ends up being charged by the USB cable AND by the wireless charging pod. One of the reviews I found on line claimed the tester's phone was overcharged as it was not able to handle being charged by two methods at once. I don't want to risk it being an issue with my phone........... so I want a way to connect the phone to the car and still have it in the charger box.

Sorry I can't look up the brand of the dongle, there is nothing quite like it on Ebay at the present time but it is similar to this but the plastic case is white and rounded. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386100937248?itmmeta=01HWXB9M20EN3M9V0D2Q45B8HV&hash=item59e568c220:g:FlIAAOSwx2VkyH7s&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0BNKRg%2FzWq1dMkQ5zWuwOu9C111ljNPlfs%2B 7aCyJgtdORXwrHiZgSxETyXSs8LH8cBla%2BKJwUhoP%2Btgg%2B1c4JTneG 5kJKHRNSSBs6ts0kRg6Wz%2B7HBbissJbLTHGnfQUL%2Bn0R1XFFW4GMMu8t w1aBQbemD10cVjamF7TgC%2FIoPm9T9%2Fs0mupbFg5ayxzct7Gz54JrfoyQ SBFhDzGZmDcnr0k0HuyQ83f738aWQRLbSCf8voPE9KZbeeTdfr5IeGQpMe0G DmeuZIMzaj3Oc2JEkU%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jBpqvnYw)

If I can't make it work, can someone recommend a BT dongle that will do what I want? Basically it needs to talk to the car and the phone and appear, to the car, that a USB is connecting it to the car.

Ta,

Rans6..........................

netstruggler
3rd May 2024, 07:16
If I can't make it work, can someone recommend a BT dongle that will do what I want? Basically it needs to talk to the car and the phone and appear, to the car, that a USB is connecting it to the car.

Bluetooth dongles generally don't present themselves as a USB cable connection, they need to have driver software running on the host. Whether what you want is possible depends entirely on the entertainment system in your car. It's unlikely to be Windows based but there's a chance that it's Linux in which case some dongles are likely to be supported - or it may be Android based in which case I don't know.

You'll need to post the make and model of the entertainment system in your car, or if you don't know that, then the make and model of the car, to have a chance of finding out.

I suppose it's possible that you can find a USB dongle which includes the hardware to convert the signal to be compatible to a wired device but, if you do, then that will be obvious from the description. I think that's unlikely though and if it did exist it would probably have to be designed specifically for the device it was connecting to.

MechEngr
3rd May 2024, 07:55
There is handshaking that USB requires to identify the device to know what software to use to talk to it. It may be that the device is simply dead or a scam. Every USB device is supposed to present a device ID so the OS can tell them apart from other devices, though they may not be serialized.

See https://superuser.com/questions/42022/how-does-usb-device-recognition-work

netstruggler
3rd May 2024, 08:26
It claimed to be Windows 8 compatible but when I tried to kick it into life it was ignored by my only Windows machine, plugged it in and it never registered as being there. Nada response.

So, two questions.

1) How might I be able to do something to wake it up/pair it with my phone?

Have you looked in Control Panel / Device Manger? If your device doesn't appear there then you're SOL on that computer and may have a defective dongle. If it does appear but has a yellow warning triangle then it's been detected but needs attention, such as installation of a proprietary software driver. Note that the device might not be obvious in the device manager list so plug it in and out and see if anything on the list appears/disappears.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/391x340/bt_e46f0f243a2343a22772dfd8109f3db65649e1b2.png

If you get it working and paired to your windows computer then I don't think it will stay paired if you plug it into a different host, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

If you pair it separately on both hosts then I would expect to be then able to swap between them without repairing, but I'd be prepared to be disappointed. I have a bluetooth mouse which I cannot swap between two laptops without repairing because the mouse can only 'remember' a single host. Apparently there are bluetooth mice with the ability to remember more than one.

MilborneOne
3rd May 2024, 08:35
If it doesnt work they are plenty of dongles on Amazon if you search for Android Auto Wireless Adaptor, you just need to check it covers your model of car.

MB1

rans6andrew
3rd May 2024, 10:51
I stumbled across some stuff about Android Auto wireless dongles last evening. It would seem that they are not just a USB cable replacement but they may be USB and WiFi combined. The prices suggest they are not a £2.99 item like the one I have but somewhat more. Starting prices are £20+ and go up into the 100's so clearly more than a USB cable replacement.

The device I have didn't register when I popped it into a new Linux Mint laptop but it did show a blue light withing its white plastic body. I would like to make it work for something but the car connection won't be it.

The car is a Subaru Solterra, I don't know who supplies the infotainment gubbings, it is called Subaru in the spec. It supports Apple Carplay wirelessly but Android Auto is only wired. It has Harmon Kardon audio so it is probably worth getting the phone fully connected.

Thanks for your comments so far.

MechEngr
3rd May 2024, 20:21
The blue light simply indicates there is an LED and a dropping resistor attached across the power and ground pins.