PDA

View Full Version : What to do to get a job in PNG?

Niteize
5th Sep 2002, 07:46
Hi all,
I have got a bare commercial and do not want to become an instructor. Been sitting on my butt too long looking for a job and want to go to PNG and see what is available up there. Does anyone know what i will need to do to convert my CPL?
also where can i find operators up there?
what type of hours are they looking for?
thanks all
Benjamin
:confused:

Ivan Urge
5th Sep 2002, 12:24
Best bet is to find out who all the operators in PNG are, even all the one aeroplane operations, send them your c.v and in the covering letter tell them you are coming to PNG and will follow up your application by calling and making it your business to see them when you get there.

Get on a plane to POM and at least Lae and see them if you can. It will cost you several thousand dollars but the chances are with the right attitide and a bit of being in the right place at the right time you might score a job.

As it has been more than ten years since I was there I could not tell you all the operators but I will list those that I know of;

Airlines of PNG (MBA), Air Link, Islands Nationair, North Coast Aviation, Southwest Air, Central Air, Hevilift and there are bound to be at least ten others.

Many a young inexperienced pilot has made it in PNG with their first job this way. Be warned, this experience will be the best aviation experience in your career but it has claimed many pilots. The other side of the coin is that many areas of PNG are not what they were ten or twenty years ago and will not exactly offer a civilized or safe environment to live..

OzExpat
5th Sep 2002, 14:21
Niteize ... I strongly recommend that you do a search for all PNG topics in D+G. You'll find that this question has been asked many times before and you'll also find info that should allow you to realistically assess your chances of success and survival.

In short, most companies will not take on anyone with less than about 500 hours. This is more of an insurance consideration than anything else. However, given the fact that there are now so many pilots looking for work - up here and elsewhere - many companies insist on much greater experience, commonly with MECIR and turbine time. They all need you to have completed a DG awareness course too.

Hope this helps.